4 inch rough country install and review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 inch rough country install and review

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
YJ_89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4 inch rough country install and review

I installed a 4 inch RC lift last weekend and thought I would make a quick review of it so far. To start I ordered it on Wed. 9/14 and got it in Fri. 9/16. I opened it up to check everything and noticed the sway bar links were missing. After a quick phone call they sent them right out and I got them in on Tuesday. I was very pleased with the customer service I received and would definitely order from them again based on that.

On to the install. I work at a shop and have access to lift and all kinds of tools, but I decided to do this at home over the weekend with just basic hand and air tools. I started Saturday night after work and just got it on stands and the front sway bar and shocks off before it started getting too dark. On Sunday I got up and started on it around 10 with some help from my cousin. Everything actually went very smooth and only had problems on the right rear spring bolt on the frame. It took about 15 minutes with a hammer and pry bar to get the bolt out. All in all it took about 8 hours in my driveway on jack stands and that includes changing the front calipers after breaking a bleeder.

I did not have a pitman arm puller so I still have the stock pitman arm on for now and I also removed the front sway bar because I didn't have the links as of install time. Ive been driving it back and forth to work all week with a couple light wheeling trips and it doesn't drive too bad I'm thinking about removing the track bars and seeing how it feels but am undecided right now. The ride is a little bouncy but not as bad as I thought it would be and the RC springs seem to have some pretty good flex with the front sway bar off definitely a lot better then stock. I currently only have around 100 miles on the kit 50 with 31's and about 50 with 33's and am very happy with it so far. Ill update after I do some more wheeling with it but as of right now I would definitely recommend it.

Heres a couple pics from before during and after the install. I wish I would have got more during but only had my DSLR and didnt want to get it greasy. Before was on 31's and after was on 33's.

Last edited by YJ_89; 09-25-2011 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
YJ_89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

dude, throw those track bars away!!!

i will never tell a person to toss their sway bars but track bars are a no-go. the leaf springs keep the axles centered and the track bars try to push the axle to the side when flexing so they are constantly fighting each other
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

LOOKS MO BETTER..x2 on the trac bars
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ha ha ha, you took the same part of the steps off i took off. looks better like that too
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

looks good and yes ditch tracbars. dont need them on leaf spung jeep.
Unread 09-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just got one question. If Wednesday was 9/14 and Friday was 9/15, WTF happened to Thursday??
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 03:39 AM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter92YJ View Post
I just got one question. If Wednesday was 9/14 and Friday was 9/15, WTF happened to Thursday??
Sometimes you just gotta skip to Friday. Or sometimes to 1700 hrs.
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Can someone post a pic of the YJ tracbars??

I'm thinkin about doing the RC 2 1/2 lift.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
YJ_89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about pulling the trac bars this week when I get a chance at work. Should I pull both of them or just the front? As for the sway bar being off Ive always drove it carefully and so far I really don't feel that much of a difference without it, but now that I have the links I might but it back on with some discos when I pull the trac bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver View Post
Can someone post a pic of the YJ tracbars??

I'm thinkin about doing the RC 2 1/2 lift.
In the 3rd pic its the bar that is unbolted to the left of the shackle.
Unread 09-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Sometimes you just gotta skip to Friday. Or sometimes to 1700 hrs.
Yea, I wish that could happen with the work week

YJ89, nice lookin YJ. The black you've added really helps the yellow pop
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i pulled both at the same time when i first heard of it (i was hesitant also but i couldn't think of a logical reason to keep them). the ride improved dramatically. since then, i toss those as soon as i get another yj
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
YJ_89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I got a chance today at work to get under it and pull the track bars off and could already feel that the ride felt much better just driving home. I was a little hesitant at first but I'm glad I did now. Now to take it to some trails tomorrow and really see the difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.