4 inch lift with no SYE? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 inch lift with no SYE?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Campsen
1993 YJ Wrangler 

4 inch lift with no SYE?

Am I going to need an SYE kit with a 4 inch lift? Idk what type of lift I'm going to order, I have 33x10.5's. an SYE kit with a new driveshaft angle is a huge turnoff, I can't afford that. I'll drop the transfer case if I have to but I've heard that some people still had to do SYE after the TC drop. Let me know if any of you have a 4 inch lift with no SYE, or whatever size lift you have on your 33's.

Campsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A 1" t-case drop is seldom enough to eliminate the vibes of a 4" or taller lift. Sometimes adding a 1" MML (motor mount lift) will be enough when combined with a t-case drop but even those two combined are not always enough. So for that much suspension lift, a SYE & CV driveshaft is the better way to go though that would mean saving up for a little longer.

A solution to the SYE/CV driveshaft need would be to instead install a 3" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift to give you the 4" of clearance recommended for 33" tires. For that, a 1" t-case drop is usually (but not always) enough. When it's not enough, adding a 1" MML will usually do the trick.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
MetalMountainGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had a 1 inch t case drop on my jeep with a 3 inch lift, and still had some pretty good vibes coming from the drive line. Every Jeep is different, but in my case a SYE was needed even with just a 3 inch lift. Plus, a SYE opens up even more possibilties down the road, i.e. tummy tuck.
MetalMountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You will never know for sure until u do it. But they case drop should be enough to start with.
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had a 1 inch TC drop back when I had a 4 inch suspension lift. I still had mild vibrations when accelerating from a stop. The vibes were never bad enough to toast a u-joint though.
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
jsbeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I run a 4" Pro Comp on my 2002 TJ. I used the Skyjacker TC drop kit and it completely got rid of my vibes. I am about to swap in D44's f/r and that will require shortening my driveshaft(s). I will probably need to do the SYE with a Tom Woods driveshaft at that point.
Lift it and see if you get lucky like I did with just a TC drop kit.
Good luck either way you go.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

*sigh* I feel like this is one of the most asked TJ tech questions out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Campsen
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a YJ though, I posted this in the YJ tech forum
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Campsen
1993 YJ Wrangler 

IDK why it posted in the TJ forum though.. Do you think it's different since I have a YJ?
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to YJ Tech.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
BlaketheSnake

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd put one in if I was gonna do any real wheeling.
If not keep some gear oil and a spray paint or glass cleaner cap and duct tape in the jeep just in case.

I've given help to two Jeeps that needed these items before.

Blake
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
Campsen
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think I'm gonna do a 2.5 inch suspension on my 33's with tube fenders, $450 for a cv driveshaft and SYE isn't worth it to me. What do you guys think of that? and thanks for moving it to YJ tech
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #13
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

My Tom Woods shaft was $309 to the door got the SYE kit on sale $169. Installation was a couple hours.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have 4inch lift in mine with tcase drop, had very mild vibes but what i noticed was tcase seal and rear pinion seal were'nt holding up. the problem was after putting in the lift the drive shaft was to short. i called tom woods and spoke to a tech,i was told there should only be about 7/8 of an inch of the slip yoke shaft exposed with the vehicles weight on the suspension. i had just over 2 inches. they wanted to buy the sye and drive shaft set up they have ,but i went with the standard stye shaft instead, they told me i could possibly still have vibes. for the money difference i took the chance. i measured my shaft per tom woods web sight and added 1/4 inch. the reason i added the extra i ask them at tom woods what size shaft i should have with my actual measurement,and i got two dims with 1/4 inch difference, so i went to the longer side. i believe shaft with shipping was 200.00. that was over 53,000 miles ago no more vibes no more seals leaking. was i just lucky? i dont think so
sptrmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sye is around $160 and find a cv driveshaft off the front of a xj and have it cut and balanced.

It takes more work and less money than you thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.