Is a 4 Cyl Enough? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is a 4 Cyl Enough?

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 04-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #16
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i must have a blessed yj. im averaging about 16mpg in town on my setup.

CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #17
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Im getting about 17 in mine. Pretty wimpy though. It is kinda growing on me now that I think about it. Got the leak fixed and might just keep her in for a while now that my swap budget was killed.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #18
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The 2.5L is perfect for the trail and around town. If you want even more off-road performance buy an Atlas T-case or regear deep to 4.88 gears. With the 4.88s it'll do well on and off the trail with 33" tires.

The 4.0 is way better for driving on the street though.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #19
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

true but if your going to buy 2k worth of parts just do a engine swap haha granted i love my 4 banger id love to have a 6bt in it
CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #20
Uberjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had a 2.5l in mine with 31's, and I wasn't very happy with it. No power to haul toys, no power going up hills, and had my choice of either rev the crap out of it, or bog it while offroad. It felt like it needed a gear between 2nd and 3rd. I swapped the 2.5l out for a 4.6l stroker and have been in love with my jeep like she is a new gal again.

Now I pull an 18' boat in 5th gear the whole way to the lake, I have no trouble putting along on trails with power on my command, and as a bonus I went from 13mpg average to almost 20mpg average.

If I had the choice of getting my 2.5l again, or waiting till I found a jeep with a 4.0 in it, I would definitely wait for a 4.0 As much as you can enjoy the 2.5l (I had mine in for three years before I swapped), having the bigger motor is the icing on the cake of enjoying the Jeep.
My Jeep has only ever killed three things. A deer, a dog, and my wallet.
*retired* Low Output Jeep Club # 135
Uberjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #21
xdgt03
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have the 2.5l and love it. It is plenty for trails and most every thing else (cept the highway of course). I also got it for cheap and in very good shape all in all. However, if I were going to do it again, I would hold out for a 6. Just has more of every thing you will want.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2.5L
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
xdgt03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #22
John92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

hold out, I wish i did some research before i bought mine. that being said I still love my Jeep and its a blast to drive around town in but im running 4.88s on 35s
John92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #23
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I wheeled/DD a 4cyl 5spd on 35's for a few years. I geared the diffs to 4.88 and it was fine around town and on the trail it was great. However, the only "problem" was 5th gear was damn near useless on the highway, and i had to go to 3rd to climb the mountains to the ski slopes.

My new YJ is a 6cyl auto. I have no comparison to how it is as I haven't put a mile on it yet. It got delivered on a trailer, and went straight in to the garage, where the tear down and build is currently going on.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #24
chlosum
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don"t understand why people r saying they can't get there 2.5L hardly over 60 mph with bigger tires.
I have 2.5l and 33's runing stock gears and can run 75 no problem. I've had her to 85 once. ( 4th gear)
I agree that fifth gear is about useless on highway.
I just take the wifes car if i'm gonna do any intersate cruising.
I agree that 4.0L is better option but I looked for about 6 months and never found one with 4.0 i cared to buy... so i settled for the 2.5.
gas mileage does suck though, but how do estimate it when your doing 5 mph down a trail?
Just be very picky when u choose one.
chlosum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #25
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The 4.0 will last longer. I've heard of 4.0s that have done 300k before needing a rebuild. I've never heard of a 2.5 doing that. I personally like the lazy revs you get with the 4.0 too. When I pull off from a stoplight in mine, I change gear at like 1800 RPMs (1400 from first to second) even though I have *31s and 3.54 gears and it never lugs. It's almost as lazy revving an engine as a 350. After a bash in the 9,000 rpm S, I love being able to relax a bit.

Either engine would probably do ok though. The only thing I would recommend is a 5 speed instead of an auto box. (automatics are very hard to rebuild on your own)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlosum View Post
I don"t understand why people r saying they can't get there 2.5L hardly over 60 mph with bigger tires.
I could understand that haha. My 4.0 won't even do 75 without a fight. Then again.... I do have a light bar as well as the above mentioned items* working against me. My engine is in perfect shape too it's only got 87k on it and other than the occasional split second skip from almost needing a distributor cap/rotor, idles almost without vibration.
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #26
Burns95
2004 WJ 

4 cyl 5 speed and running 35's. I swapped the dana 35 for an 8.8 and regeared to 4.88's. I love the setup. It is a trail rig and weekend toy. I wouldnt have it any other way for the $$$. If it were a DD... Different story there but for its purpose in life she does great.
Burns95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #27
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberjeep View Post
I had a 2.5l in mine with 31's, and I wasn't very happy with it. No power to haul toys, no power going up hills, and had my choice of either rev the crap out of it, or bog it while offroad. It felt like it needed a gear between 2nd and 3rd. I swapped the 2.5l out for a 4.6l stroker and have been in love with my jeep like she is a new gal again.
This is the point where I'm at with mine right now.

My 4 banger was fine when my Jeep was stock, but since I tacked on a lot of heavier equipment and such, it just flat out sucks now, and I'm still on 30s.

I am beginning to regret not getting a 4.0L more and more as time goes on and I have to beat the hell out of my 4 banger just to keep speed.

I mean I know Jeeps aren't suppose to be fast, but I would like to be able to at least make the speed limit and hold it there without having to redline the motor and destroy my gas mileage.

This is why I have set in motion the steps to swap mine for a 4.0L soon, I just cannot deal with the 4 banger anymore.

I have absolutely 0 complaints with it offroad though, it does everything a 6 does, it just cannot survive the city anymore, so it is time for it to go.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #28
EasyE
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpregler View Post
Looking at some YJs for a toy to tool around town and trail ride. Can you get away with 33s and trail ride with a 4 banger and still have enough power?
No. But, it all comes down to your definition of 'enough power'. If a moped has enough power for you, then get the 2.5. Save yourself an engine swap and lots of money; wait for the 4.0.
EasyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #29
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My 2.5 will go 75 mph on the highway and gets 16 mpg around town. That is with 35's and 4.88 gears.
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #30
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
The 2.5L is perfect for the trail and around town. If you want even more off-road performance buy an Atlas T-case or regear deep to 4.88 gears. With the 4.88s it'll do well on and off the trail with 33" tires.

The 4.0 is way better for driving on the street though.

Jake
This^

If you're getting it as a toy you'll be fine with the 4 banger. Just do plan on using 5th gear.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.