4 cyl 33" tire help - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 cyl 33" tire help

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 04-18-2013, 02:12 AM   #46
huntinguy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschilling View Post
Hi, I have a 93 YJ, it is a 4cy and has a 5 speed manual transmission, that is basically stock and want to do some modifications to it. I know nothing about cars or installing and am going to have everything done by v3 Jeep Shop but i would like your alls opinion on the best way to get my jeep lifted and 33" tires but still have it able to go around 60-65 on the highway. My budget is around $2000-$2500. Sorry if this is a redundant question.

Thanks,
Jeb
After all of this, it is pretty simple. It is all depending on how you are planning on driving it. Keep in mind the MB, the jeep that started all this, ran 60 hp, with around 105 lbs of torque with 4.88 rearends. When it went civi on us it stayed the same but ran 5.35 (?) rears. And all of this on 28 inch tire. Top end was around 60 mph. The weight of the machine was around 2300 lbs.

Now you have a base line.

You only need the lift to clear the tires. IMHO 33 are plenty big, but I don't drive over stumps.

Go to a website like http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html and plan on getting your highway speed at around your maximum torque using fourth gear. Fifth is for overdrive not pulling.

AMC 150/2.5
One-barrel carburetor : 105 hp at 5,000 and 132 lb·ft at 2,800

Throttle body injection (TBI) 117 hp at 5,000 and 135 lb·ft at 3,500

Multi-point fuel injection (MPFI) 120 hp at 5,250 and 139 lb·ft at 3,250

Off road you are going to be using low range so do the math for that one also. Maybe later you will want to do a 4 to 1 in the T case for more off road ability.

Your YJ is going to be running around 3000 lbs.

A one inch body lift will not cause too much trouble. Go over that and steering should be reworked. If you shackle lift or re-arch the springs too much (over an inch IMHO) you will have to start looking at drive line angles and lengths.

Keep in mind, everything is a system and if you change one part you will have to change others... sooner or later.

I get the feeling you want a nice looking jeep that will not cost you on the continuous repair plan. Therefor keep it simple and mild.

huntinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #47
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The only two cents that I have to add, is that you have a lot of good advice here, but you don't have to do everything at once. Most of us build our rigs over time.

And don't worry about saving money. That is a mind trap for Jeep noobs. Just take whatever you spent for your Jeep, divide it by 12, and figure on paying that much in parts per month. For example, I spent $3000 for my 2.5L YJ and spent $3000 a year on it since.

I started with a lift and big tires, then fixed things as I went. I ended up going back down to a 31" tire while I put together the rest of the stuff I needed to handle 33's with a locker, and still be able to pull highway speeds. Eventually I replaced the rear axle with a stronger one, and replaced the AX5 with a heavy duty transmission. But it's been a four or five year project, mostly cash payday to payday.

Just remember rehab is for quitters.
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #48
jschilling
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Change of plans haha they were out of stock on trail master 3" lifts so I now am getting skyjacker 3" lift.
jschilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #49
jschilling
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got my 33" tires! They work great! Thanks everyone for your help you helped with my decision a lot
image-3959196625.jpg   image-956922661.jpg   image-949565902.jpg  
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #50
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How's it feel?
Kdeome is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #51
jschilling
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It feels really good! Its a little rough getting going from a dead stop, especially on a hill(stalled out the first time I was on a hill). The only time I can really hear or feel the tires is on the highway and its only a slight vibration. It is a little disappointing that my top speed is about 60 mph, but its a jeep.
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #52
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschilling View Post
It feels really good! Its a little rough getting going from a dead stop, especially on a hill(stalled out the first time I was on a hill). The only time I can really hear or feel the tires is on the highway and its only a slight vibration. It is a little disappointing that my top speed is about 60 mph, but its a jeep.
welcome to the club of 4 banger's with 33+ tires haha

Looks good!
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #53
jschilling
1993 YJ Wrangler 

haha I know and thanks I think it turned out great. Now all I need is more money to do some more modifications haha
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #54
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Its not about ego or pecker size buddy. How much is he going to pay to have a shop regear his axles vs the minimal cost difference between a 2.5 and 4.0 Wrangler? In my area a lot of them sell for the same. Not saying you are full of crap but 4 cylinders and a brick doesn't make me think "fly like the wind"
Look at your location and look at his.

Would I ever want a 4cyl anything here in Colorado? Heck no. At sea level or just 1 or 2,000' MSL it's not really a big deal. The altitude and the steepness of some of our trails require FI and more displacement than what's needed down at lower elevations. I do most of my trail riding at 8,00ft or above, I think the max altitude you'd ever get to at a place like Tellico in TN/NC would be 4K.

My personal opinion is the 4 banger Jeeps are for tooling around places like Key West or Hawaii....
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #55
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeryder View Post
Look at your location and look at his.

Would I ever want a 4cyl anything here in Colorado? Heck no. At sea level or just 1 or 2,000' MSL it's not really a big deal. The altitude and the steepness of some of our trails require FI and more displacement than what's needed down at lower elevations. I do most of my trail riding at 8,00ft or above, I think the max altitude you'd ever get to at a place like Tellico in TN/NC would be 4K.

My personal opinion is the 4 banger Jeeps are for tooling around places like Key West or Hawaii....
My reply had nothing to do with trail riding, which the 4 cylinder does just fine with. And he has fuel injection anyway. He asked the best way to run 33s and still be able to drive highway fine. Running the numbers says that the price difference between a 4 and 6 cyl wrangler is going to be less than paying someone to regear both axles. Just my opinion though

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #56
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress

Keep in mind that Jeep did not design the YJ to be modified, nor a hard core balls to the walls offroad machine.

In stock form, everything works perfectly. The market was to those who are looking for a vehicle that makes a practical daily driver that can leave the road and explore a bit if the owner so desires to. Chances are, they never thought we would be doing what we are doing to them.

They work fine in stock form, even with mildly larger tires, but nothing more than that.
^this!
I really enjoy watching the "hardcore" jeepers from the 80s and 90s on YouTube. Big tires meant 31s and huge crazy was 33s. They did okay but would break as they still do today. Seems they didn't upgrade as often as we do now and would commonly just replace what broke with stock. The interwebs has helped this sport tremendously with sharing information. I knew nothing about the jeep when I bought it. Like the op I got a 2.5 and learned the down sides. Now, with the help of the forum, I have an 8.8 axle and have just learned to love the 2.5 and ax5, even with its shortcomings.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.