4 cyl 33" tire help - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 cyl 33" tire help

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #31
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've an Ax5 that was beaten on and thrashed by one of the PO's, still works fine with 107K miles on the odometer. No grinding, no sticking, nothing, just gotta go to 1st before reverse

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #32
Blackfish
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I love my 2.5, also lets be clear I have a 4.0 check out my pictures, boys yaw are all playing a 16 year old mentality, The 2.5 is more than adequate for 33 inch tires with working order parts, and if you are rolling a lifted jeep in hilly terrain at 75 miles and hour, BYE

its all about the what your satisfied with, if the 2.5 isn't enough engine then snatch it out but don't put some overhyped piece of weight like a 4.0 in it stick a real engine in there something that can smoke 37s and pull a dump truck, I say you need to go and get a LS1,3 and buy every gear large axle, aftermarket part, a super chip.

I wonder how many folks on here have tried all these wizardly improvements and tormented over another 40 hp. Because someone said that x axle is horrible or x motor is no good or X transmission will break.

I have turned a many a wrench and will probably do so again tomorrow. I say have it but when you decide to ditch the 2.5, then don't get a 4.0 get a Cummins cause they are the boss. I'm not cause in the end my 2.5 will take me any where your 4.0, will. When the end of the earth comes only Cockroaches and 2.5l jeeps will be left.
Unread 04-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #33
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfish View Post
I love my 2.5, also lets be clear I have a 4.0 check out my pictures, boys yaw are all playing a 16 year old mentality, The 2.5 is more than adequate for 33 inch tires with working order parts, and if you are rolling a lifted jeep in hilly terrain at 75 miles and hour, BYE
The 2.5L does just fine around town, the 4.0 has more power to carry the Jeep up through hills. Having a good power/weight ratio around here is important, most of the highways are built on hills, and if you don't have enough power to power up them at around 65 then it gets dangerous. California highway speeds are more like 75-80mph.

Quote:
its all about the what your satisfied with, if the 2.5 isn't enough engine then snatch it out but don't put some overhyped piece of weight like a 4.0 in it stick a real engine in there something that can smoke 37s and pull a dump truck, I say you need to go and get a LS1,3 and buy every gear large axle, aftermarket part, a super chip.
The 4.0 is more than adequate for most. Just because you think it's overhyped doesn't mean it actually is. There's good reason most stick with the 4.0.

Quote:
I wonder how many folks on here have tried all these wizardly improvements and tormented over another 40 hp. Because someone said that x axle is horrible or x motor is no good or X transmission will break.
This statement doesn't make sense.

Quote:
I have turned a many a wrench and will probably do so again tomorrow. I say have it but when you decide to ditch the 2.5, then don't get a 4.0 get a Cummins cause they are the boss. I'm not cause in the end my 2.5 will take me any where your 4.0, will. When the end of the earth comes only Cockroaches and 2.5l jeeps will be left.
Cummins motors aren't inexpensive or easy to find. Typically people pay through the nose to get them, only on the rare occasion do you find someone who scored one for cheap. V8 engines are incredibly easy and inexpensive to find, and still put the power to the ground, that is why a lot of people go for them, myself included. They are more practical.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #34
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

16 year old mentality? If the almighty 2.5 isnt enough your solution is to throw a v8 or a cummins in? I thought we were talking about building it to run 33s on a budget. Im sure I have more into my motor swap than his jeep is worth, hence the suggestion to pick one up with a 4.0

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #35
stcarter44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Everyone saying regear and motor swap is the only option is just nuts. Yah your not going to be winning races but you'll be ok.. I ran 33s with the 4cyl for about a year and a half.. Than I did the motor swap. If anything I think that's the way to go because you'll hve the 4:10 axles already and regearong won't be as bad because you won't need a new carrier which I beleive you need when going from 3:07s that 6 cyl jeeps come with
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #36
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The 2.5 in 4low will pull the buthole out of the earth. That being said I am running 33's. A 302 will be finding its way under my hood as soon as I have the parts and time to do so. I already got an 8.8 in and an ax15. As good as the 4.0 is, it does not justify the time and money required for a swap from a 2.5.
95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
0verkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #37
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verkillYJ View Post
The 2.5 in 4low will pull the buthole out of the earth.
Thats quote worthy man

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #38
Blackfish
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm all in with the 2,5 yeah I would imagine in hilly terrain the 2.5 will loose ground, but the 2.5 is enough engine all day long here at the coast and then some. cheap hp increases are electric fan, throttle body spacer and 4.0 throttle body, hub conversion, asperate a little more if possible, the ax5 is medium duty engine, mine came out of a Comanche, and its seen every hill in uwharie more than once change oil and drive like you got some since and it will be fine... Oh and unless all my on hands experience is way off, vibrations don't accept the status quo on vibes they can be eliminated with knuckle busting precision. Once they are gone you will se the biggest increase in hp. Also emmediately swap in speedo gear this sends all the right signal to the computer as you will be in sink with the gear change an rpm band.

All my experience has led me to believe the biggest drain on the 2.5 is all the things it turns that are unnecessary ie: fan front shaft and axles and carrier. I'm sure when they are new this is not an issue but the 2.5 will be more sensitive to out of balance components because it does not have the hp to overcome them.

Enjoy its like owning a boat , or a kardashian all three will cost ya.
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #39
Blackfish
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Little error their the ax5 is not an engine I was talking about transmission I have the original engine.
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #40
jschilling
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I finally got the parts ordered today!(well some of them at least) I'm getting 33" tires. I haven't decided what brand yet so clearly they haven't been ordered, feel free to chime in on opinions of mudterrains and all terrain tires which are what I am considering at the moment. I also ordered my 3" trailmaster lift so i would love to hear anyones experience with trailmaster lifts as well. Thanks for all the help again guys.

Jeb
jschilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #41
mcoulter57
1994 YJ Wrangler 

33's are here, so far so good!

image-3627625977.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
mcoulter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #42
jschilling
1993 YJ Wrangler 

that looks great! same kind of tires I'm trying to get too.
What size lift is that?
jschilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #43
mcoulter57
1994 YJ Wrangler 

33/12.5 desertrat.com special $999 with rims

mcoulter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #44
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoulter57 View Post
33's are here, so far so good!

Attachment 610307

Awesome! Looks great!!! I daily drive my 2.5 with 35's right now and don't really have problems because I don't have to drive freeway speed. I can go 55-65 with little worry on fairly flat ground. I'm very very easy on my drivetrain though. My axles have held up so far to the mild off-roading that I've done. I'm waiting for that day though so i can swap in my 8.8!
KreepyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #45
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! You asked a question, and sure got a lot of different answers.

IMHO, the best answer was from Carlos. Put together a 2.5in. lift with a transfer case drop. You may need to shim the rear springs, to get rid of vibes. You will fit 33's with no problem. Add a locker up front, the D35 can't handle one.

The bad news is, you will lose high end power. 5th gear will be all but useless. But if you regear to 4.88's, the world will be right again. Even your speedometer will be accurate.

As far as the AX-5 goes, put Pennzoil Syncromesh in it, and it will give you few problems. The 5th gear clip may pop off,(it happened to me) but Mean Max did a write-up on it that won't require you to pull it to fix the clip. Here is the link:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...emoval-908252/

I wouldn't think of swapping out my 2.5L. I love the lighter weight. It also tends to not break other things.

Good luck with your build.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.