4.9L 300ci Ford six? ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.9L 300ci Ford six? ?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 07-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
shagsjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4.9L 300ci Ford six? ?

Ok I can't seem to get me search to work. I've try for to days, it might just be my phone. So I'm asking the question & maybe someone knows of a thread they can direct me to.

Does anyone have the ford 4.9L 300ci in a YJ?
Will a 4.9L 300ci Ford fit??

I have a 1993 F-150 with this engine. It's been good to me. I've located a number of these trucks @ my local junk yard, engine's in them. I know these engine's can give out close to 300 HP without breaking ur wallet. Clifford performance has many upgrades for these blocks that's not outrageously priced.

I understand that the motor mounts most likely won't match.
How much is different with the wiring??
I know the hood would have to be modified to shut.

So would I have to use a ford transmission? ? Or could advance adapters make something to use my AX15?? I'd like to keep my NP231.

I LOVE the 4.9L 300ci. This is my second F-150. I bought a brand new 1994, I'd still have it today had it not been totaled out while sitting in front of my house, 2 years later.

But a 4.6 stroker is nice. Just to much money and you have to run a special type of oil in it from what Golden Eagles site states. I'd like to upgrade my 4.2 someday, just cause, no real reason. And I know the 4.9 can punch out big HP & still not suck down massive amounts of gogo juice. I don't know anything about the 4.6 strokers thirst.
So why don't jeep Guy's use this engine??

Unread 07-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
wrngleryj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have any experience with this motor, so I can't give personal experience. However, when I was looking at engine swap options for my last Jeep, I did do quite a bit of research on it. Everything I found seemed to say that the 300ci Ford inline six is too long to fit. That was just what I found everywhere, so don't necessarily take my word for it! Goodluck, and hopefully some other people will chime in on this for you!
wrngleryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
shagsjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. Now that's something I didn't even think about. Beings I have both engine's I'll have to measure them. That's a very good point, thank you.
Unread 07-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If it will fit, it will be a good one. I dont like Ford much but that motor is bullet proof. I got one so hot sonce the leaked oil was bubbling on the top of the motor. Replaced the water pump and drove it right on like nothing happened. Good luck to you.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If it does fit, it will be very close. Even the 4.2 is tight. To pull the 4.2 out we had to take the fan off to lift it out. U may want to take the extra time to just take the grill off. It will make pulling and replacing a lot easier.
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you were going to go through the hassel of an engine swap, it would make more sense to use a better candidate. The GM LSx engines are one of the easiest late model engines to swap over. There other reasons to use these engines too. The LSx engines are short, this would allow you more flexibility in positioning the engine to either allow for longer drive shafts, or move it the other way for better weight distribution. Speaking of weight, the LSx motors can be found in different flavors from iron heads atop an iron block to aluminum heads on iron block and aluminum heads and black. IIRC The LSx motors are significantly lighter than the 4.0L or the 4.2L.

Everyone has their reasons to do things, but just because you can, doesn't me you should.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The ford 300 would be an awesome engine in a jeep yj, it's a torque monster and bulletproof. However, the fit can be a problem for such a big 6. I don't know about a yj, but it's a struggle to get the 300 to fit even in the early bronco's, thats why you don't see to many 300's in the early bronco's. If you could squeeze it into a yj, you would have a heck of a jeep.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
shagsjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So far it appears to be a fit issue. I wonder if I were to try aftermarket radiators with electronic fans to see if one of them would fit.
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
jjmoonen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had a 79 F-150 with this moter paired to the t18 4 speed manual tranny. It is a good motor that makes great torque. In stock form it was pretty gutless, but yes you can spend some money and make some power (CLifford like you said is a great resource). HOWEVER, it is a very long engine and HEAVY as hell. In my opinion, not an ideal candidate for an engine swap in a jeep. You will dramatically shorten your rear driveshaft (unless you are stretching there rear alot). Adding all that weight over the front just doesnt seem like a great idea to me unless you plan on going with bigger axles and appropriate springs to compensate.

You would be ok with clearance regarding steering shaft and what not since the exhaust manifold is on the passenger side. I honestly cant think of anyone that makes an adapter for that engine to a jeep trans, but I have never looked either. Check Advance Adapters, JB Conversions and Novak Adapters.

While it would be differant and cool, there are just much better options that are lighter, more powerful, get better fuel mileage and have more aftermarket swap support.

Now if you do decide to do it, best of luck and I commend you for it.
jjmoonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
Desert_Rampage
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4x4 View Post
The 258 Jeep is 24" long, 35"wide ,29"high, rear sump, left starter, about 440 lbs.
The Ford 300 is 22 wide, 32" long, 28"high, middle sump, right starter, 400 lbs!!

These dimensions can vary due to fuel system type, fan used, etc. and location of sump can be moved on fords by using 2wd truck pans, van pans , 4wdtruck pans
the more I think about this swap, the more I want to get a cj7 or scrambler and do it.
So I think it's too long.

Found this in this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ford-300-i6-164348/
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
shagsjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you all for ur input and the thread.
Unread 07-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The 300 with a 4-speed had more nuts than the 302 with a 4-speed. The 300 makes awesome torque down low in the rpm range. I use to pull stumps and logs with my F-150, 300 and 4-speed 4x4. It was the best woods truck I ever owned.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
deliriousnomad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i read once either here or on pirate that it has been done. but involved stretching the hood/cowl as it is too long... great motor but too dang big... I like what someone above said "just because you can, doesn't mean you should..." gl
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
deliriousnomad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

too bad you can't just do like some F1 teams were doing a few years ago and slice off one cylinder that would be a trick motor inline 5
Unread 04-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #15
Ayreonaut
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I'll tell you, I owned a 94 ford truck with aod tranny and a 4.9 six for a long time. That motor will tow absolutely anything, it's an animal for a six culinder. I put over 24000 miles on it in less than a year once, and i drove it hard. It was ridiculously reliable, only requiring oil changes and plugs and wores. I honestly hated fords until I owned that truck. I have never owned a vehicle with that kind of torque, and with a custom dual exhaust from the motor with flow masters it sounded awesome too. The 4.0 HO in my cherokee seems like it has a lot less torque and pulling power than the ford, and has been very slightly more finicky. I thought about this one long and hard as well, because the 4.9 is hands down one of my favorite motors. I know for a fact it's quite a bit bigger, to the point where it ssqueezes in the Ford engine bay, which fit in 7.3s and 460s. It will definitely be a few inches longer, but with firewall trimming and mounts for the motor, tranny, and transfer case made it should be doable. I would try to find one BEFORE 95, the ones with obd2 had more problems, preferably early 90s or a carburated 80s version. 90s had the aods, 80s had the c6 (I believe????) And the five speeds are mazda units and not the greatest. This would be such an awesome swap to see, I never understood why that motor wasn't more popular for wheelin with all the torque and reliability it has. Any straight six is a great motor in my eyes
Ayreonaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.