4.88 gears? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.88 gears?

Currie RockJock Products!!This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-28-2002, 12:09 PM   #1
Jeepguy3401

4.88 gears?

I'm thinking of doing 4.88 gears in my jeep after my lift and maybe a new engine,or piston ring job on current one, in a few months, (closer than it sounds). After I get some work done there I'm thinking of going to 4.88 gears and ox lockers at the same time, this is the idea at the moment, haven't really commited myself to it yet. What do you think guys? Oh I only drive 1 or maybe 2 miles to work to so going slow is no big deal. BTW The Jeep will hopefully be phased out as the primary driver soon (looking at buying an older street/sport bike).

'87 YJ,4.2L 6cyl(rebuilding someday) On 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, (unlifted, but big lift in store, when I get some $$$)upgraded clutch and brakes, broken loud stereo.(Can't imagine how that....COUGH!..WATER....happened. Haven't used a top doors or windshield in uh,.....hmm.... since midwinter? That sounds right.
Jeepguy3401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2002, 05:24 PM   #2
Bigrubberjeep

Question?

Do you really think, your Jensn subs and your (suposed) 600 watt Profile amp ar putting out 1000 watts?

You might want to read up on some car audio magazines, 1st off their is no Jensen subwoofer that can handle even 500 watts RMS for more then 10 seconds, nor has their ever been a profile amp that puts out a true 600 watts of power. Why doyou think a Rokfordfosgate cost $350 for 200 watts and a profile 600 watt amp only cost $150?
Unread 03-28-2002, 06:07 PM   #3
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The lower the gear the weaker the Pinion is. So basically If you do a v-8 conversion you will probably shread your rearend to shreads. If your planning on sticking with 33's or 35's a good set of 4.10's will be your meal ticket even with your 6cyl.
Unread 03-28-2002, 08:23 PM   #4
ealmond

I agree with Patton. 4.10 or maybe 4.27 is great for 33's or 35's. If you are figuring on needing a very low final gear reduction, I think it's about as cheap to reduce your transfercase gearing as it would be your ring and pinions. I am going to be running 4.09's with 35" tires this summer. Should be great on and off road. Next year maybe a 4 to 1 in the transfercase. Purpose: rockcrawling.
Unread 03-30-2002, 11:19 AM   #5
Jeepguy3401

Uh yeah, the 1000 watt sound system is figuring in what all the peak at. By the way the amp is a 600 watt amp, go to profile online if you don't think they make one. It's the Profile California Series amp, that's is bound to be the peak, I'm sure. The subs uh yeah, they are supposed to peak at 525 watts a piece. Basically I just put in 1000 watts as a round number, and just to say that, it's loud. The exact numbers I don't really know or care that much cause I have never been anywhere near the limits with that system. By the way thanks for concentrating on my posted question and not getting off topic on the radio. If you still want to see how loud my system is you can come see it. I took some pics of it, but I don't have them developed yet.
'87 YJ,4.2L 6cyl(rebuilding someday) On 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, (unlifted, but big lift in store, when I get some $$$)upgraded clutch and brakes, broken loud stereo.(Can't imagine how that....COUGH!..WATER....happened. Haven't used a top doors or windshield in uh,.....hmm.... since midwinter? That sounds right.
Jeepguy3401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.