4.88 or 4.56 95 yj 2.5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.88 or 4.56 95 yj 2.5

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
mb1440
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4.88 or 4.56 95 yj 2.5

I am wondering if I should go with the 4.88 or 4.56 in my 95 yj,2.5, 5 speed. I am only running 32x11.50 tires and will not go any bigger. I do not want to much gear. My jeep is driven on the road and sand no mudding.There is about $150 diff in the price of the gear sets. 4.56 being cheaper.

mb1440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

There is not much difference between the two sets. Generally, i would recommend you go as low as you can so i would say 4.88s. I have no clue why there is a price variation like that between the two ratio/sets. Its one used or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

4:56 for auto 4:88 for manual I'd gear for 33's cause we all feel the need to go bigger sooner or later . Im saving for my next phase of the Jeep so I need to decide between 37's or 40's
Unread 04-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Jim93YJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I regeared to 4.56 but there are factors to consider for your particular application. With me and where I live with my terrain I wanted to remain in 4th gear for most of my in town cruising since that is the strongest (1:1) gear mesh within the AX-5. It puts me at just the right RPM so I get a balance between gas mileage and power. I also wanted the option to upgrade my engine in the future without having to drive around with huge tires or regear to lower gears. Ultimately you need to work out your RPMs and see what you are happy driving around town with in terms of resulting power you will have available, gas mileage, most used driving gear, engine wear, future upgrades, etc. There are RPM calculators online.
93YJ 4.8L Vortec,AX15,Atlas 4.3:1, 4.56 Gears, Dana 30 w/ Posi-lok,Dana 44 Rear w/ Ox Locker + 99 Explorer Disk Brakes,Tom Woods D. Shafts,1" Body, 2.5" ED RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2 T/A's with MT Classic II Wheels, Herculined Inside, Electric Fan, 20 Gal Tank Conversion,Tuffy Center Console,Warn Front Bumper, Rockhard 4X4 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier,Bushwacker Extended Flat Fender Flares,AMSoil/Redline In Everything and the List Goes On....

AND...

88YJ 4.2L: Interior and mechanical overhaul including engine replacement, nutter bypass, Weber 34 Carb, and work on a whole bunch of other things to get it back to fine running condition without the emissions control...evap cannister kept functional as well as PCV system, and manifold heater.
Jim93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you plan to keep teh 2.5L forever go ahead and regear to 4.88s You won't be happy with 4.56s, there won't be too much of a difference.

But it really all depends on what kind of driving you do mostly.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I assume you have 4.10 now. Go 4.88. You'll be pissed for spending the money on 4.56, there won't be a lot of difference than what you have now. I would like to know why the 4.88's cost another $150 too, there shouldn't be any difference.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
mb1440
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I do not know why ther is a price diff. but looking at La Vegas drivetrain there is a gap between the 4.56 and 4.88. The 4.56 are about $390 or so inc. master install kits the 4.88 are about $495.???????
mb1440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is a pretty good gear calculator with alot of different options for figuring.
Gear Calculator
If you have 4:11's already,i would go with 4:88's,not much of a difference in the 4:56's to the 4:11's.
Use a gear calculator to figure the RPM ranges needed with you're power ranges in the engine compared to the normal speeds you drive.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
zfender14
1995 YJ Wrangler 

lPersonal experience: I was going to go with 4.88 but the shopped talked me in to 4.56... It works ok but with any headwind on the Interstate and I cant do better than 60ish in 5th, and there isnt much get-up-and-go around town. So I would definitely say go with 4.88, even if it is a little more money.

1998 XJ 4.0 | Automatic | 2" lift (unknown brand) | 31x10.5 MT
zfender14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think you are getting some marginal advice in this thread. My opinion is that with 32 inch tires 4.88s is too low for the highway. That gearing will raise your RPM higher than the stock gears with the stock tires. I had 4.88s on 33s before I went to 35s.

I'm not even going to get into the whole discussion of the mistake you are making re gearing a D35...don't do it.

Frankly since you don't plan to get bigger tires you need to stick with what you have because it isn't that bad with 32s.

If you insist on regearing I would find a used set of axles that are already regeared. It will save you money in the long run.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler View Post
I think you are getting some marginal advice in this thread. My opinion is that with 32 inch tires 4.88s is too low for the highway. That gearing will raise your RPM higher than the stock gears with the stock tires. I had 4.88s on 33s before I went to 35s.

I'm not even going to get into the whole discussion of the mistake you are making re gearing a D35...don't do it.

Frankly since you don't plan to get bigger tires you need to stick with what you have because it isn't that bad with 32s.

If you insist on regearing I would find a used set of axles that are already regeared. It will save you money in the long run.

Well my line of thinking is 4 banger and more power. Unless he drives like a madman hes not going to butcher his gas mileage bad going lower than 4.56s. There just isnt that much of a difference between the two ratios. The other part is the I wont ever go bigger than 32s line. I remember i said that about 31s, then 33s and now im eyeing a swap to go bigger than 35s. Its a frigging disease. Just trying to save the guy money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with paultyler. For the 2.5L, 4.88's and 33's is the common set up.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
clemsonfan16
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Dont polish the turd man. But if you DO... i would go 4.88s. That will help if you want to go bigger in the future. But hopefully you will do an axle swap...hopefully......
clemsonfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know about 4:56's but I was running 31's w/ 4:10's and it was fine. I then went to 33's and the little guy just about died. Went to 4:88's and life was back, even better than with the 31's & 4:10s. It now drives like it did when it was running 28's. I know that w/ 32's you must have lost some power, problem is you may be in between tire sizes and gear sizes. Check out some of the gear calculators that have been suggested. You may want to see if you have anyone you can borrow there 31's for a test run and see how it drives power wise compared to your 32's. This may give you the same feeling as 32's w/4:56's.

Also as other have stated you always seem to want to go to the next size. I know I did, I thought hell 31's are fine, I now have a set of 31's w/7k miles on them for sale, and am thinking maybe 35's I also thought hell this little guy off roads pretty well stock w/ 31's So why do I now have 33's and lockers front and rear And as other have said it is a disease, get vaccinated and get out quick.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
Matt_vs_YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've been running 4.88's with 32's for quite a while now. It's not too low for the highway, and I still find myself dropping to 4th gear on steeper sections of highway (bridges, ect).

I say 4.88, but don't pay 495 for them unless that price is for both axles! There's several vendors over on Pirate that will sell gears and install kits for around 250/axle, I'm not sure if the same folks are here on Jeepforum (Wayne Hartwig is who I recommend).

If you're in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia check out the Middle Peninsula Jeep Association
Matt_vs_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.