JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   4.8 swap into yj (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4-8-swap-into-yj-1848786/)

87duker 12-02-2013 06:50 AM

4.8 swap into yj

I bought 01 chevy with 4.8 today for 1000 bucks. Plan is to pull motor/trans/tc and all wiring. The transfer case is manual shift and wondering if I can use that or have to run a older one or old one out of my yj? I plan on getting motor mounts from novack and send harness and computer out to be done. Sounds like factory fuel pump will work but needs a corvette fuel regulator I believe. Also will be doing my lift and installing my 8.8 at same time. Will the d30 be strong enough with chomo shafts or is it on borrowed time once I get running again?

87duker 12-02-2013 07:04 AM

Also I see everyone buys radiator to do swap. I have brand new one in yj for i6 and will have one out of the truck so could one of them be used?

Randonexplosion 12-02-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87duker (Post 18177730)
I bought 01 chevy with 4.8 today for 1000 bucks. Plan is to pull motor/trans/tc and all wiring. The transfer case is manual shift and wondering if I can use that or have to run a older one or old one out of my yj? I plan on getting motor mounts from novack and send harness and computer out to be done. Sounds like factory fuel pump will work but needs a corvette fuel regulator I believe. Also will be doing my lift and installing my 8.8 at same time. Will the d30 be strong enough with chomo shafts or is it on borrowed time once I get running again?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87duker (Post 18177914)
Also I see everyone buys radiator to do swap. I have brand new one in yj for i6 and will have one out of the truck so could one of them be used?

What t-case is in it? I have heard that the newer t-cases aren't the best to use because they can have binding/slipping issues and they aren't really built for the stresses that we put them through. I cant remember what was in my donor truck, NP246? I would look at keeping your 231 or finding a late 80s-early90s 241.

You don't need a Corvette regulator/filter, our year Vortecs are regulated at the fuel rail. You Just need to make sure you have a 3/8" supply line. I ran new supply line and used my old supply as the return line.

Depending on your tire size and how hard you beat on it, I'd say your D30 will be fine especially with chromo shafts. Ive been wheeling mine pretty good these last 9 months on a stock D30.

On the radiator, I don't think the Vortec hoses will match up. They are both on the passenger side. And you will want a radiator with a trans cooler. I also opted for an additional trans cooler. My build thread pretty much covers all of your questions. There are a few other Vortec into Yj swaps on the forum.

Also, fill out your Jeep info so we know what you are working with :cheers2:

SeanB95YJ 12-02-2013 09:02 AM

fill out your profile so we know what you're currently working with.... will make things easier to give you relevant info.

for your fuel pump, you need to match the PSI requirements of the new motor. sometimes this involves a more powerful pump (to raise PSI), and sometimes it requires a return type regulator (to lower).... again, depends on what you're starting with.

mechanically, the 01 transfer case will work as it's a driver drop... you'll just need to match the output yokes to your driveshafts (correct size u-joint or flange). but depending on the year of your YJ (87? - going by your user name I'm guessing).... if you want to keep your factory gauges (speedo) you'll need the older t-case for the mechanical (cable type) speedo output. the chevy case should be electronic pickup. with the electronic, it can work if you have a newer YJ or plan on going with aftermarket gauges... just get an electronic speedo (as opposed to mechanical)

unless you're building the motor for crazy power and/or going bigger than 35s, your D30 should be fine.

for the radiator.... it's unlikely the chevy radiator will fit, and (at least once the warmer weather comes around) your YJ rad is not likely up to the task of V8 cooling. a conversion radiator will fit, should be appropriately sized for cooling, and have the inlet/outlets at the proper location.

Good luck... start a build thread and take lots of pics :thumbsup:

snail81 12-02-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87duker (Post 18177914)

I did the 5.3 swap and I installed a larger cam in mine for more power. I used the stock yj i6 radiator and it never gets above 190.
Also I bought a stock yj with fuel injection fuel pump and ran a return line. Actually I ran a 3/8 new line from the tank to the manifold and used the stock 5/8 line as the return line.
I actually cut my harness myself. Its not that bad if you take your time.
Also I used the 231c from a s10 so I didn't have to buy the 500.00 adapter, I just had to buy a 200.00 (i think) adapter.

87duker 12-02-2013 07:43 PM

I have 91 yj with 4.0 that's fuel injection.

So for transfer case if i reuse one out of my jeep what would i need to make work with 4l60e? What is stock tc that's in a yj? I planning on installing sye when i get to doing rear drive shaft.

I am on 31s but plan to run 35s and not sure what gears as with with overdrive, i was thinking 456s or 410s as i drive decent amount on hwy and is a dd in the summer.

speedo and wiring and getting gauges to work is still biggest thing to figure out.

Randonexplosion 12-02-2013 08:28 PM

To use your stock transfer case, Advance adapters sells a kit for about $500 and Novak sells one for around $650 I think. If you go with Novak you have to break into the transmission and swap out the output shaft. With AA you replace the input shaft on the transfer case, which you are going to have apart anyway. This will still supply a signal to your speedometer and the adapter comes with a reluctor ring to feed a signal to the GM computer.

My advise is to peruse through some build threads to see what some people of done. I tried to be as informative as I could on mine and you can also search for "project pissed wife phase 2". WhyJ has some pretty good details.

jg88jeep 12-02-2013 08:34 PM

yj is a 231 tc. i'd go 410s since you can get a 8.8 already fitted with them and with your v8 power is no issue. I agree with getting the tc from an s10 you could even run the trans and tc from the s10 if you change the bellhousing and input shaft, but overall length may be an issue

87duker 12-02-2013 08:54 PM

I really like to keep the 4l60e i have since i have and bolts up to motor. What is tc in s10 ur talking about? And that still need an adapter? Would like stay away from 5-600 dollar adapters.

Randonexplosion 12-02-2013 09:03 PM

There are several ways to do it. Some are cheaper and some are easier.

241 transfer case: donor is a late 80s to early 90 1/2 ton Chevy truck. Will bolt right up to the 4l60e with the stock GM spacer. You will have to use an aftermarket speedometer to run off of the GM computer signal and I believe you will need to machine a hole for the aforementioned Advance Adapters reluctor ring to send a signal to the GM cpu.

Existing NP231j: we just covered that.

Hybrid NP231c/j: get one out of an S10 blazer or equivalent with a 4l60e. You can use the front half of the Chevy transfer case and the rear half of the Jeep case. Most people do this if they already have a SYE. This will let you bolt it up without an aftermarket adapter and you get a wider and stronger chain.

I would go with 4.56 gears for 35s. I have 4.10s and just moved up to 35s. Not that I don't have any power, but my rpms are around 1800 @ 65.

Randonexplosion 12-02-2013 09:08 PM

When you are looking for a donor tcase, make sure it is manual shift not electronic shift, and an automatic transmission.

It is all in the details. The output shaft of the 4l60e is 27 spline so any t case that came behind it will fit, but if you use the Jeep case on its own you will need to install a 27 spline input gear.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/y...33/?highlight=

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f369/...96/?highlight=

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...94/?highlight=

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...06/?highlight=

That will keep you busy for a few days :laugh:

87duker 12-02-2013 09:49 PM

thanks for help and will try read it all and post up any more questions. Im starting tomorrow on tear down of donor truck. Anything i should be saving that isn't something id think of?

Randonexplosion 12-02-2013 09:58 PM

Not that I can think of. I didn't use anything but engine, trans, wiring harness and PCM. Might be able to find a use for something but I couldn't even use the throttle cable.

SeanB95YJ 12-02-2013 10:34 PM

I'm not familiar with that particular motor so this may not apply to you... but if it's a "drive by wire" type throttle, then you'll need the gas pedal assembly too.

Randonexplosion 12-02-2013 10:39 PM

You said it is an 01 right? I think drive by wire started in 03. I could be wrong though.

The time now is 04:44 AM.