4.7 Stroker vs. Chevy 350 vs. 4.0? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.7 Stroker vs. Chevy 350 vs. 4.0?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

4.7 Stroker vs. Chevy 350 vs. 4.0?

Hey all,

Looking at my long term engine goal with my yj. It's an 89 and the engine has about 160k on it. I know she'll be going strong for awhile more, but I'm looking at my engine options. I won't be putting a 4.2 back in when the time comes because I want more hp.

So that leaves me with the 3 mentioned engines in my thread topic. Which would be the best to put in? I have an ax-15 trans and I know all those will mate up to it. I know that the 350 is probably the most $ option, but will give me the hp/torque I want. I think that the 4.7 is pretty much a direct "drop in" engine, correct? It would result in a little less hp but the torque is good with me. That's very viable if it is a drop in engine, compared to the 350.

The 4.0 conversion would require a new bellhousing for the Ax-15, which could be a problem for me to find. The hp/torque for this engine is ok and a definitely an increase over the 4.2.

Oh, I also want to FI my 4.2. So, in the future, I'd like to keep FI. Would the kit from Howell work on a 4.7? What would I need to make FI work with a 4.0? I know some 350s are FI already and some aren't.

Thanks!

Unread 08-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The 4.7 stroker is built on the 4.0l block so it would bolt up to your AX no problem. Not much fabricating except fo installing the FI.

To me, the best bet is to keeep the 4.2 bottom end (rebuild or whatever) and put the 4.0l head and fi setup on it. You get the best of both worlds - the torque of the 4.2 with the extra Hp and efficiency of the 4.0.

Because I have my old stock 4.2 running so well now...and plan on the 4.0l head conversion in the future, I have decided against any V8 conversion. The I6 is plenty of power.

I would hate to think what an I6, 4.7l would suck in gas if not setup properly with correct gears and the whatnot.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn
The 4.7 stroker is built on the 4.0l block so it would bolt up to your AX no problem. Not much fabricating except fo installing the FI.

To me, the best bet is to keeep the 4.2 bottom end (rebuild or whatever) and put the 4.0l head and fi setup on it. You get the best of both worlds - the torque of the 4.2 with the extra Hp and efficiency of the 4.0.

Because I have my old stock 4.2 running so well now...and plan on the 4.0l head conversion in the future, I have decided against any V8 conversion. The I6 is plenty of power.

I would hate to think what an I6, 4.7l would suck in gas if not setup properly with correct gears and the whatnot.

I've read a little about the 4.0 head swap, but wasn't sure how to do it exactly. I also have wondered if I would have to swap bellhousings because the 4.0 uses a sensor that the 4.2 doesn't.
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Oh yea, I had forgotten about that.

The bellhousing swap can be had for much less than the conversion kit for mounting the sensor to the front pulley. But if you don't neeed to separate the engine/trani....it may be worth it.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn
Oh yea, I had forgotten about that.

The bellhousing swap can be had for much less than the conversion kit for mounting the sensor to the front pulley. But if you don't neeed to separate the engine/trani....it may be worth it.
Yeah, im looking to make the swap to whatever as easily I can. I haven't heard much about whether or not I need to do the bellhousing swap to put a 4.7 in. If I can put the 4.2 Howell FI kit on a 4.7, that may be the easiest way to go.

End the end, I want more hp, torque, and FI.
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
JcArnold
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ive got the Hesco MPI kit on my 4.2 and it is an exact copy of the 94 4.0 injection system. it is awesome, it is a performance system with a custom flashed ecm it puts out more hp/tq than a stock 4.0. fuel mileage isnt bad for what Ive got, runs 15mpg consistantly which is suprising since Im running 35's but I cant complain. Not sure what the cost difference would be but a stock rebuild of your engine plus that kit would not be dissappointing.

37x12.50x17 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs
Pro-Comp 7031 17x9
Rock Krawler 5.5" X-Factor
Fox Racing Shocks
Synergy Front Cage Kit
Synergy Axle Tubes/C gussets
4.88 gears frt/rr
Replacement frt/rr driveshafts
Poison Spyder rockers
And a bunch of other little stuffs
JcArnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcArnold
Ive got the Hesco MPI kit on my 4.2 and it is an exact copy of the 94 4.0 injection system. it is awesome, it is a performance system with a custom flashed ecm it puts out more hp/tq than a stock 4.0. fuel mileage isnt bad for what Ive got, runs 15mpg consistantly which is suprising since Im running 35's but I cant complain. Not sure what the cost difference would be but a stock rebuild of your engine plus that kit would not be dissappointing.
I'll have to look into the hesco. I only knew of mopar & Howell. It's not that I have a problem with the 4.2, I would just like a little more pep (throttle response) on the road and torque for off. I want FI so I don't have to worry about angles and cold starts. It'll all round out
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
JcArnold
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure where your located but I just had the emissions test on it last week and it had very good results. I love it on and off road.

Pro-Comp 7031 17x9
Fox Racing Shocks
Synergy Front Cage Kit
4.88 gears frt/rr
Poison Spyder rockers
Unread 08-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcArnold
I'm not sure where your located but I just had the emissions test on it last week and it had very good results. I love it on and off road.
Is hesco the mopar kit? I know that's pretty $$$
Unread 08-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
JcArnold
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Possibly. It's made by hesco.
Www.hesco.us

Pro-Comp 7031 17x9
Fox Racing Shocks
Synergy Front Cage Kit
4.88 gears frt/rr
Poison Spyder rockers
Unread 08-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Another option is running a stroker on a carb, no messing around just slap a Motorcraft on it and get down the trail.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker
Another option is running a stroker on a carb, no messing around just slap a Motorcraft on it and get down the trail.

Dwayne
I'm not a carb guy. If I had a firm grasp on them...maybe. They're just to much maintenance for my liking. I have a 2150 on my 4.2 and I can't wait to get rid of it. Not that the MC is bad, it's waaayyy better than my Carter was, it's just I've done everything I can to solve it's cold start issue...let's just say it's going ASAP.
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

They are not for everyone.
I find them very easy to get running right and tune.
I find them more useful in non stock situations where the computer would require a chip burnt or the ecu otherwise custom tuned. I have to drop $500 to tune my Mustang after a pully /injector/maf change.
With a carb I could do that in my drive way in 30 mins.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
kkchevy3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

since you have the carb i would say it wouldnt be worth the stroking. i have a 4.7 in my jeep and love it but its a 91. I would say go with a mild small block. keep the tranny and call it a day.
kkchevy3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkchevy3
since you have the carb i would say it wouldnt be worth the stroking. i have a 4.7 in my jeep and love it but its a 91. I would say go with a mild small block. keep the tranny and call it a day.
Couldn't you Howell FI the stroker and get the best of all worlds?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.