4" or 5x7 lights on fairlead? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4" or 5x7 lights on fairlead?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #16
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Don't worry about enough cooling air flow. There is a LOT of space for air to flow right on through, and if need be, the cooling fan will suck air through. Our cooling systems are overly efficient for a reason, so much so that we actually need a thermostat to allow the system to heat up to proper operating temperature for our engines to work efficiently. Blockage that far out in front of the radiator is not a big deal (I have seen these bumpers before and there is more open space than appears in the above photos)- like I said, the cooling fan sucks ample airflow through the radiator on its own.
This is bad advice. All cooling systems on vehicles use Thermostats. They arent used because our cooling systems are better than other vehicles in the road. Its to get you to operating temp quicker. Once warm the thermostats stay close to fully open. Above 40 the cooling fan wont get the job done. If it is spinning and the clutch is lock it can impede air flow on its own and cause the engine to heat up. You NEED alot of airflow through the radiator. It also helps keep under hood temps down. If the above advice was right people would not have problems with thier engine heating up from Warn 8274 winches.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #17
GermantownJeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
What do you have facing backward? Or to the sides? If you need more than four aux lights facing forward, you have the wrong lights.
I have some 2x6 floods for the rear bumper. I know I probably don't need all six but the mounts were there so I figured I'd try some things out...see what worked best.

Thanks everybody, I appreciate all the input.
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Don't worry about enough cooling air flow. There is a LOT of space for air to flow right on through, and if need be, the cooling fan will suck air through. Our cooling systems are overly efficient for a reason, so much so that we actually need a thermostat to allow the system to heat up to proper operating temperature for our engines to work efficiently. Blockage that far out in front of the radiator is not a big deal (I have seen these bumpers before and there is more open space than appears in the above photos)- like I said, the cooling fan sucks ample airflow through the radiator on its own.
Not good advise, you need to better understand motor cooling.

OP you may want to look into getting rid of your track bars if you plan on going off road.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #19
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The cooling fan is there for a reason, simple as that. Don't worry about there being a few lights in front of the grill, there's more than ample room for the fan to suck air through, and more than ample room for air to flow through.

Thermostats are in place for a reason, and that is to regulate the temperature of the cooling system and engine, and to allow the engine to heat up quicker to allow it to operate more efficiently more quickly. Too hot, thermostat opens up and allows cooler water to flow through. Too cold, thermostat closes to allow things to heat up to the correct temperature. A very simple device with a very simple function.

Most vehicles run cold without a thermostat. Think about it (you too Siva). If your cooling systems are just barely ample enough, what would happen to our friends in hotter climates? Reasoning says that the cooling system would not be capable of cooling the engine down to a safe operating temperature. Thus, the over-engineering bit comes into play. Our systems are very efficient at cooling our engines down. So much so that without a thermostat in place, our engines run too cold. And it's not just Jeeps, it's a variety of vehicles from a variety of manufacturers. My brothers Supra, for example. 2.8L I6 engine. That engine gets very hot, very quickly. Without the thermostat, it runs ice cold all day long. With the thermostat it heats up to operating temperature within minutes just idling away. My 2.5L Jeep is the same, as is a buddies 5.2L GC, so it's not just one or two engines.

I understand how our cooling systems work very well, not only from first hand experience, but from classroom experience as well. So I may not be the brightest bulb in the bucket, but at least I have schooling and physical experience on the subject matter

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #20
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think the issue with the cooling was to allow the radiator to do its job to cool the hot fluid coming out of the engine so it can be reused and cooked again. If its too hot when the thermostat opens again it will just stay open and the radiator will be a holding tank and not radiating any heat from the coolant and it'll overheat.

That being said, I have tons of stuff in front of my aging radiator and I have no problems keeping cool. I did install hood louvres for the trail because my engine compartment is completely cluttered and it helps out a bit.

Enter grain of salt.
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #21
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The cooling fan is there for a reason, simple as that. Don't worry about there being a few lights in front of the grill, there's more than ample room for the fan to suck air through, and more than ample room for air to flow through.

Thermostats are in place for a reason, and that is to regulate the temperature of the cooling system and engine, and to allow the engine to heat up quicker to allow it to operate more efficiently more quickly. Too hot, thermostat opens up and allows cooler water to flow through. Too cold, thermostat closes to allow things to heat up to the correct temperature. A very simple device with a very simple function.

Most vehicles run cold without a thermostat. Think about it (you too Siva). If your cooling systems are just barely ample enough, what would happen to our friends in hotter climates? Reasoning says that the cooling system would not be capable of cooling the engine down to a safe operating temperature. Thus, the over-engineering bit comes into play. Our systems are very efficient at cooling our engines down. So much so that without a thermostat in place, our engines run too cold. And it's not just Jeeps, it's a variety of vehicles from a variety of manufacturers. My brothers Supra, for example. 2.8L I6 engine. That engine gets very hot, very quickly. Without the thermostat, it runs ice cold all day long. With the thermostat it heats up to operating temperature within minutes just idling away. My 2.5L Jeep is the same, as is a buddies 5.2L GC, so it's not just one or two engines.

I understand how our cooling systems work very well, not only from first hand experience, but from classroom experience as well. So I may not be the brightest bulb in the bucket, but at least I have schooling and physical experience on the subject matter
I am not interested in reading the same post again. Nor, am I wanting to get into a pissing match with someone just out of high school that work as a Porter and claims to be a genius.. So rather than pick everything that you stated apart. I will pick just one statement and tell you that you are wrong.

Without a thermostat you will very likely run hot as well as cold. Due to the fluid circulating so fast the radiator does not have a chance to cool the fluid. Thus run hot.

A thermostat is not used just to heat up the motor fast as you state, but to keep your motor at a certain operating temp. Like 195 degrees.

A cold motor running all day every day will not last long as you may think. Motors do not like cold operating. Very bad. Almost as bad as running to hot.
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #22
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
I am not interested in reading the same post again. Nor, am I wanting to get into a pissing match with someone just out of high school that work as a Porter and claims to be a genius.. So rather than pick everything that you stated apart. I will pick just one statement and tell you that you are wrong.

Without a thermostat you will very likely run hot as well as cold. Due to the fluid circulating so fast the radiator does not have a chance to cool the fluid. Thus run hot.

A thermostat is not used just to heat up the motor fast as you state, but to keep your motor at a certain operating temp. Like 195 degrees.

A cold motor running all day every day will not last long as you may think. Motors do not like cold operating. Very bad. Almost as bad as running to hot.
I haven't been in high school for a long time now, and I am well aware that a cold running engine will wear out very quickly. Just because my current occupation is a lot porter doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two about cars, and i'd appreciate it if you didn't resort to picking on someone for their job occupation I claim nothing of being a genius, if you take my sarcasm as being truth then you're just being foolish yourself.

But again, you've missed the point (why does everyone not bother to read everything?). The point is not to worry about a couple of items in front of the radiator.

There are lots of people whom have winches, lights, and other misc/ doo-dads in front of their radiator without problems. Don't worry about a couple of lights, it's not going to block much.

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #23
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I haven't been in high school for a long time now, and I am well aware that a cold running engine will wear out very quickly. Just because my current occupation is a lot porter doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two about cars, and i'd appreciate it if you didn't resort to picking on someone for their job occupation I claim nothing of being a genius, if you take my sarcasm as being truth then you're just being foolish yourself.

But again, you've missed the point (why does everyone not bother to read everything?). The point is not to worry about a couple of items in front of the radiator.

There are lots of people whom have winches, lights, and other misc/ doo-dads in front of their radiator without problems. Don't worry about a couple of lights, it's not going to block much.
My bad, you are right, about bringing up your job. Although you do say you are a "genius" on your profile.

I respectively disagree about blocking the radiator to much. Although if you live in a cold climate and I do not. It may make a difference. There have been many write up on this forum about overheating due to blocking the radiator. Most would rather not be shut down on hot days due to a setup flaw.
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #24
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Although you do say you are a "genius" on your profile.
My custom user title states "2.5L Genius of sorts". Doesn't mean I am a person who possesses exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability (though I will disagree with the does not bit)

Quote:
I respectively disagree about blocking the radiator to much. Although if you live in a cold climate and I do not. It may make a difference. There have been many write up on this forum about overheating due to blocking the radiator. Most would rather not be shut down on hot days due to a setup flaw.
I think we are thinking of 2 different things. Of course you want a good amount of airflow going through to the radiator, that's a given. That being said, a light or two in front of it isn't suddenly going to block all airflow.

Top the OP, why don't you experiment a bit and see what works best for you?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.