4.56 or 4.88 gears for 94 2.5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.56 or 4.88 gears for 94 2.5?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

4.56 or 4.88 gears for 94 2.5?

OK so I am getting an 8.8, and found one with 4.56 gears. If I get that one I will save about $250 over getting a different one and regearing to 4.88 on front and rear. How much difference is there? I will be running 35s so I know 4.88s would be better, but would it be worth the extra $$? If I go 4.88s I will not have the money to do the fronts right away. That isn't really a problem because I don't really need to wheel this jeep (I still have my XJ).

What would you do, and has anyone run 4.56 with 35s?

Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would do it right the first time and get 4.88's since you are planning on 35's and a 2.5L but that's just me. You'll save money in the long run.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
93TennYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Go with the 4.88s. I am running 4.88s in my 93 and it makes a world of difference. With the 4.88s, I am back to basically the stock 4.10 ratio.
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Rons92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running 4.56s and wish I did more research. 4.88s is the way to go.
Rons92yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

There is simply not that much difference between the two ratios. If you had to gear both then yeah, i would think about 4.88s. But it would be a waste of money if one of the axles is already geared. 4.56s will do fine for 35s. Ive run them for years, no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
There is simply not that much difference between the two ratios. If you had to gear both then yeah, i would think about 4.88s. But it would be a waste of money if one of the axles is already geared. 4.56s will do fine for 35s. Ive run them for years, no worries.
I was kind of thinking there isn't much difference in the gearing, then again there isn't that much between 4.10 and 4.56...

I may just buy the 4.56 rear axle and if I am not happy with it I can sell the 4.56 gears and go 4.88 on both. At least selling the 4.56 I will be able to get about 75% of the cost of 4.88s back.

Also the 4.56 in the axle are Yukon gears and a bit nicer than the ones I would buy, due to the budget.
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post

This

and if you're still not happy with your 2.5's performance on 35's (and you won't) you can put the money saved toward an engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

4.88's, or if you can change the Dana 30 out, go lower.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well I am re-geared to 4:88's w/ my 4 cyl and I am running 33's. I would not run 35's on anything less than 4:88's. Mine died when I went from 31's to 33's w/ 4:10, I then went to 4:88's and oh happy days. I think if you went to 4:56's w/ 35's you would not be happy. Just my 2 cents

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well I just went to email the guy with the 4.56 8.8 and it sold this afternoon. I snooze, I lose.

I guess I am still hunting for an axle, although I know someone who has one that is 3.73 and ready to bolt in for cheap, so I may go for it and the 4.88s. If I go that route I will not be able to do the front axle right away. Although at the rate I am going I will have the money before the YJ is ready for the road/trails anyway. So far I have made some progress- bastard packs are assembled (need to take back apart for paint), have shocks all set to go in after repaint, have my shackles made and painted. I have also been spraying all the suspension bolts with PB Blaster for a week + now. Picking up my 4.0 TB and a 1" spacer on Tuesday. I have the 35s on D windows on the way. Tube fenders have been marked out on the fenders and I have my 1" tube. I am pretty much done with everything I can do without actually tearing into the YJ. Going to start tomorrow by removing the top and pulling all carpet and seats. Have a couple rust holes in the floors to patch.I have been delaying fixing these as long as possible because I have to learn how to weld... I have a Lincoln Mig I picked up for this projects, but I have never so much as turned it on. I did pickup a bunch of 16 and 14ga scrap to practice on... I will be working on the lift while waiting for paint/bondo to dry and if I get frustrated welding. I have a couple friends who are good welders, but I need to start doing it myself (my XJ bumpers all got welded by my friends, I cut and fit the pieces and had them weld them).

I also have a 1" BL but not going to put it on unless I need it for clearance w/ the 35s.

Going to do 8.8 as well as gears (looks like 4.88). I will probably keep the 2.5 for a year or two, although I have already been searching CL for a cheap XJ w/ 4.9 and AX15...

Cheers!
~K

Pics will be posted once I actually get some work done ON the Jeep.
Unread 08-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
Rons92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with your build,sounds like you have some good plans.
Rons92yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, this is my second Jeep build. My XJ is pretty much where I want it and I wanted YJ when I got it...

I will eventually go with a SYE, but at first I am going to try it as is (only going up 3.5" or so), if needed
i will do a temp TC drop.
Unread 08-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #13
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1 View Post
Well I am re-geared to 4:88's w/ my 4 cyl and I am running 33's. I would not run 35's on anything less than 4:88's. Mine died when I went from 31's to 33's w/ 4:10, I then went to 4:88's and oh happy days. I think if you went to 4:56's w/ 35's you would not be happy. Just my 2 cents
Well i daily drove it for years like that and averaged 16 to 17 mpg and could cruise 65 all day. Could go faster but the mpgs went to crap. Truth be known, if i wanted "good" power, i would choose neither 4.56 or 4.88s. Anyone whos drag raced knows there is not much difference in those ratios. sure every little bit helps, but not enough for the price tag on that extra ring and pinion and setup IMO.

Someone said throw a different axle in the front that could be geared lower. Thats the answer if you plan on sticking to a 2.5 and driving on the highway alot with tall tires. otherwise throw in a 4:1 tc kit and be done with it offroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.