4.3 swap has finally begun - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.3 swap has finally begun

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-03-2011, 03:52 AM   #31
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Most of the articles I have read say no. Hopefully someone else can give more detail

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #32
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Little progress today. Mostly pictures
Removed the harness

Hanging next to the S10 fuel pump

Transfer case done

Filter fitting screwed in

Filter on

Empty bay

Work in progress

Picking up the motor mounts tomorrow

Unread 08-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #33
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

When I installed my drivetrain, I used the engine hoist to remove the body off of the frame. You have no idea how simple this was and much simpler it was installing the drivetrain. Once the body was off, I put the transmission crossmember back on and put the drivetrain "on" the frame complete. I rested the transmission and transfer case on the crossmember and used a floor jack with wood blocks to support the 4.3. I then used NOVAK mounts and "C" clamped them into position. Once I was sure were the engine mounts needed to go, I then had them welded in place. I have enclosed photos so you can see how much room I had in the engine compartment. The only problem I had was the transmission crossmember had to be modified to fit the new mount and to lower the tranny. The transfer case was too close to the body for my liking.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #34
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Going to remove the front fenders. I also like the idea of ripping the YJ skid plate in half so the TC mounts in place.
Read that it wont fit because how its clocked.
Think its going to be alot of learn as I go. I have all weekend to get the mounts burned in. After that theres no time limit on finishing. THe engine in will feel like a major accomplishment.
Thanks to all JF members that are seeing me through this

Unread 08-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #35
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see the finished product man. Keep up the awesome work!
jth0033 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #36
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Its moving quickly

Unread 08-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #37
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am having trouble with posting these photos. I hope they go through now.

Take care,
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #38
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Another attempt...at posting photos... I hope these help.

Take care,
100_3546.jpg   100_3549.jpg   100_5095.jpg   100_5096.jpg  

Last edited by 1SASjeepster; 08-03-2011 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: add a little more explanation.
Unread 08-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #39
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

When I installed my drivetrain, I used the engine hoist to remove the body off of the frame. You have no idea how simple this was and much simpler it was installing the drivetrain. Once the body was off, I put the transmission crossmember back on and put the drivetrain "on" the frame complete. I rested the transmission and transfer case on the crossmember and used a floor jack with wood blocks to support the 4.3. I then used NOVAK mounts and "C" clamped them into position. Once I was sure were the engine mounts needed to go, I then had them welded in place. I have enclosed photos so you can see how much room I had in the engine compartment. The only problem I had was the transmission crossmember had to be modified to fit the new mount and to lower the tranny. The transfer case was too close to the body for my liking.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Unread 08-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #40
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Damn. That newness and shine

Unread 08-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #41
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I originally got the jeep from my little brother. Once the body was off... I stripped the frame down and bought an DeWalt angle grinder with about ten sanding "flapper" discs. I couldn't afford to have the frame sand blasted. The guy wanted $500. A great price, but I didn't have it. Anyway, three hours later, I ground all of the bad welds and splatter smooth, well, most of it. I then hit it with primer and then some Eastwood paint. The parts were collected over a period of four years, I just bought them as I had the money. I then stored them in my garage until the day to put it all together came. I wasn't in a rush, and I wanted to do a few things differently. First, I wanted to make it super easy to work on. If it wasn't needed, it went. Also, as the photos show, I rerouted everything to be super clean and easy to get to. I mean, lets face it... sometimes Jeep engineers had their heads up their bottoms with some of their designs. Second, I made this jeep for me and what I like to do with it. Third, since I spent so long saving up and buying parts for it "bit by bit", I actually could choose what I thought were the best parts for what I wanted. I decided to go with a new electrical system and start fresh. That Painless kit has been sitting in my garage for almost four years... just aching to get put into the jeep. I will post more photos since I finally got it working. I hope it helps you with your work. I learned a lot of mistakes the hard way, sometimes that is better, sometimes it isn't. If I can help you, please let me know. You are one of the posts that I keep up with. You look like you are doing a great job on your jeep. I would have removed the body and the fenders though. It makes it a lot easier!!

Take care,
Unread 08-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #42
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

This has me considering an engine swap sometime in the future....not on my DD though, haha
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #43
jonpin
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow that looks realy nice Jeepster I would be afraid to get it dirty.
jonpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #44
jeepdude1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That looks awesome. I thought you might be done when I first started reading the thread and saw how fast you were progressing.

Makes me feel like a slacker for having my Jeep sitting for so long. But, I have some pretty good excuses for that unfortunately.
jeepdude1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 04:18 AM   #45
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jeepdude1987,
Thanks. I think I have just added your word "craptacular" to my vocabulary. Hey, all jeep owners know, you do what you can... when you can. I owned an original 1942 WWII Willy's. I was just researching the where, how to get and price of parts when my wife became pregnant. That project was put on the shelf. I eventually had to get rid of it and the new owner did an outstanding job restoring it!!! Anyway, this jeep sat in my carport for almost four years. I didn't do anything to it but collect parts. I tried to keep it simple, but there were some things I splurged on. I realized my wife and children were going to be driving this vehicle at some point so I wanted better brakes. My wife has a Grand Cherokee. I realized we had the same D35 rear axles so I scrapped the YJ's drum brakes for ZJ rear disc brakes. It was almost half as much as some aftermarket jobs I see out there, and much easier to get parts for. Anyway, everything looks shiny because it has been in the garage... in boxes. I don't expect it will stay like that once it is on the road. But it is nice to have photos of it to remind you.

Take care,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.