4.3 swap has finally begun - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.3 swap has finally begun

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-10-2011, 04:35 AM   #1
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

2.5 to 4.3 to 5.7 swap has finally begun

Heres the 4.3 EFI its a 88 S10 with 88000 miles on it

Before i bought it we had a problem getting ot to start. The coil needed replaceing ( 30 bucks)
as well as the distributer

picked one up from the junk yard for 35 bucks.
Bought the S10 for 350

I had some free time yesterday and started to dismantle the jeep. Driveshafts,exhaust,radiator drained, fand shroud off ,air box removed.
Wont have time to work on it today. Next the fenders are coming off .
Have to read the swap write up on on JF on how to do the swap. Cant remember right now who did it, have it saved somewhere

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just to be curious, what is the benefit of dropping in a 4.3L Chevrolet engine over a factory 4.0L 6 cylinder? I have to admit I am not familiar with this swap, but it seems like a lot of work for no real increase in HP or torque.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like the donor vehicle is a good starting point. Will be keeping an eye on this one!
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am exhausted!
Everything is now disconnected except the motor mounts. Trans and transfer case mounts are un bolted but the skid plate is still bolted in.
Looks like Im going to have to remove the grill to get the motor out. . Pulling everything out togrther.

THe job that I am not looking forward is pulling the 88 motor and trans . Other JF threads are leading to it being a PIA
I have trust in my sawzall for the task
Good thing its a project and no rush to be finished

Unread 07-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The benefit of dropping in a 4.3 Chevy as compared to putting in a 4.0 jeep is a few fold: (1) The Chevy is a lot cheaper to maintain and get parts for. The jeep motor isn't. We all know how expensive many of the Jeep parts are. (2) The YJ has the room to put in a V8 and it still looks factory original. The 4.3 is the same. The swap will leave you more room than the original four cylinder and much more room than an inline six will leave you. Of course, this truly depends on how you set your engine compartment up. (3) Putting in a V6 or an inline Jeep six costs about the same. (You would think the Jeep is cheaper but not when you start off with the four cylinder Jeep drivetrain. You still can't use the same transmission with either six cylinder. The AX5 transmission is just too wimpy!)

Going with this modification, the tranny has to be replaced. The exhaust system has to be replaced, at least the front part of it. The cooling system has to be replaced. You will need engine mounts in both cases and you need to modify the transmission crossmember for the new transmission. All this has to be done with either engine choice.

Obviously, if the original motor was the Jeep inline six cylinder, than the better choice would be to rebuild the engine and add a few performance features. I am assuming the original engine is the four banger. The typical 4.3 V6 will almost double your useable horsepower. You will enjoy this more than the little "sewing machine" engine. ( I had my "sewing machine" engine for 10 years. At this time, I pretty much kept the jeep stock, so the four banger was fine for any trail riding or driving around town.) The problem I had was I really like to use my jeep for cruising the highway while smoking cigars. That is what I really like to do. For my little trail riding, the four was fine BUT for highway driving, it sucks! I started to see Toyota Priuses and old VW beetles pass me up on the inclines. 123 horsepower just wasn't enough. I looked into building some real, dependable, meaningful horsepower. It was super expensive, but it could be done. (Putting on a turbo charger was another option but the engine really wasn't "tough" enough for that. A Pinto 2300cc motor was tough enough to put on a turbo charger but then you still need to replace the wimpy tranny.)

To boost real horsepower in a naturally aspirated Jeep four cylinder would take many custom made parts. The people I talked to were quoting $5,000 for 300 dependable horsepower. The problem was many of these parts were custom made. So if they went bad, you were going to have a lot of downtime, waiting for new parts. I then looked at putting in a V6 because I had a rebuilt one in my garage, just sitting there. Putting in the V6 was actually cheaper than going the inline six route because the parts were cheaper.

I wish you best with your project!! If you have any problems, I would be happy to help.

Take care.
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

More progress today after work. Its nice that I get home at 4PM
Pulled the engine/trans and TC all as one.
Being SOA made it almost impossible. Good think I have a big hoist
Grill off and everything disconnected

Its up!

Its out !

Its Empty.

I left all the YJ harness in the Jeep.
Not sure about using the YJ harness or the S10 harness. I really have to read up on the best way. Probably painless but there has to be a way to blend the harnesses

Next, Maybe tomorrow I going to start labeling and pulling the 4.3. I hear the sawzall is my friend for this part

Unread 07-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Short update.
YJ is out of the garage.
Drove the S10 again today to listen to the shift points. Parked it in the garage and took the hood off.
Crawled under the S10 and noticed the brand new looking exhaust system
.S10 items for sale will be
rims
tires
push bar
receiver hitch
plastic bed liner
doors
grill.
whatever I am not going to use for the swap
And............
a 1998 4.0 ZJ motor with unknown miles with harness and computer for 75 bucks
And
2000 AW4 with TCU for 50 bucks. includes bell and torque converter.
Also unknown mileage

Unread 07-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

More progress ! Cutting the motor out

Have to cut out the body mounts to remove the front end

Things are going smooth but just time consuming. Im at a good pace so far. I have the FSM for the YJ and have to sign up on alldata for the S10

Unread 07-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wow !
The front body mounts fought me till the end !
I now have everything disconnected that should be and tagged as to where it goes. I left what I could on the motor and just disconnected what I had to from the fire wall
removing the radiator tomorrow. The front radiator ( it has AC ) is still on the grill. I plan on using the S10 rad in the jeep.
Tomorrow Im going to unbost the transfercase shifter. Now heres a problem, THe S10 is auto on the column. I somewho have to pull apart the steering column and get to the cable..
Where are the damn motor mounts???
I cant see them from above!
Tomorrow I will also pull the driveshafts and hopefully have everything out. Then the fuel pump.
If I time it right I can have it on the trailer and off to the scrap yard by Saturday for some cash to put back in the swap

I saw a thread about having to cut the fire wall so the engine can come out. Im ready!

Unread 07-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Dre40

1992 YJ Wrangler 

well you got alot of work cut out for you. but its well worth it. i love my 4.3 swap..
Dre40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
simple88wrangle
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am just wondering way you cut the fenders of the s-10 in half instead of unbolting them. It is only like 7 bolts and just 2 bolts for the core support. good luck with your build
1988 YJ W/4.0HO, AX-15, Waggy & Isuzu 44's, Eaton E-Lockers, 5.13 gears, 37" KM2's, Front 3 link with FOA 12 inch coilovers, rear triangulated 4 link w stock TJ coils, WB stretched to 103", Currie anti-rock sway bar, custom highline tube fenders, Rear aluminum crusher corners, Poison Spyder rocker knockers, TNT rear bumper and tire carrier.
simple88wrangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 04:35 AM   #12
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple88wrangle View Post
I am just wondering way you cut the fenders of the s-10 in half instead of unbolting them. It is only like 7 bolts and just 2 bolts for the core support. good luck with your build
Since the S10 is going to the scrap yard it was just easier and quicker to take the sawzall to the metal

Unread 07-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I guess I should have followed the advive of other S10 swap threads. I thought I could get by with out cutting the fire wall but it ended in failure.
I ended up cracking the dist cap. I also effed up the starter. I unbolted it to gain access to the motor mount but forgot to reinstall it, As I lifted the motor it got stuck and I had to undo the wireing. As I did that the connections got messed up on the starter.
As of now the motor is still stuck. Im trying to remove the engine,trans and TC together.
Camp

Pulling the S10 to pull the motor

Lots of stuff going on here

Tomorrow I am going to cut the S10 in half if I have to

Unread 07-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
jonpin
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Id like to see how this goes I know a guy with a similar truck and iv got a similar jeep....
jonpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 03:39 AM   #15
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like I was over tired yesterday from doing the swap and not thinking everything through. I was laying in bed this morning at 5am and a thought came to me.
I forgot to disconnect the transfercase shifter!
I had to go outside and check. Sure enough its still connected.
This is why the motor was not moving!
Coffee then Im back out in the garage

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.