4.2l TF 999 Kickdown cable issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2l TF 999 Kickdown cable issue

RCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Jimmyg233

4.2l TF 999 Kickdown cable issue

I bought a 1990 YJ with a driveline out ofan older CJ (4.2l 258 CI amc with no emissions and a TF999 or 909 Tranny) and it was missing all the tv/kickdown linkage. it has a holley 4 barrel on it with an aluminum intake and i cant find anything online that might work for it, any ideas, anybody know where i can get the parts i need? does anyone have any of this linkage? can i drive the jeep without it?

Jimmyg233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is it an offenhauser intake? The carb linkage pulls towards the valve cover? My jeep is the same way and same trans. I just put a bolt in the linkage for the trans to hold the shift point at 1600 rpms so it always shifts at that point. You can buy a linkage though, just Google tf909 or 727 shift linkage. I was going to buy one but my jeep runs fine the way it is and its been like this for over a year, no problems at all. Even towing a trailer and driving across Texas
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Jimmyg233

Yess i believe it is. The after market linkage will even work with the 4 barrel and the AMC straight six? I have absolutely nothing on the tranny for kickdown linkage now so hopefully it's complete. I'm trying to make this thing as right as possible. As long as those linkages are the same and will work ill order one of them
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yup. it will work. i have a holley four barrel too.

search on here also, i found it in a thread one time, the part number and brand of the aftermarket kickdown cable. it will be a cable instead of a linkage
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Jimmyg233

They talk about one made by lokar on here, but it seems to be discontinued because every time I find a link it says page not found
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
SMT73
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem...was never able to find one from parts suppliers, i must have searched every one that could have been googled and had no luck on ebay. I had to custom fab a rod that connects the carb linkage to the T.V. lever. It was not to bad once you get the angles right and make sure it does not bind. I also built an adjustment into it. If you drive without one or it is not adjusted right it will toast your trans.
The problem with most of the aftermarket kits is that they are for the more common setups live chevy's that PULL the tv lever ....the Tf999 lever is PUSHED.....but.....the tv lever moves very easy ,so i dont see why having a cable push it wouldn't work. Seems many people have used the cable meathod and had success....I chose to make a rod, and it works great fo me
SMT73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #7
Jimmyg233

If I bought the old stock linkage used off of someone would that work with the 4 barrel?
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

no, i have the linkage and it won't work with the four barrel.

you can drive with the linkage pinned or bolted in place like i am doing, it won't fry your transmission. you just have ot make sure its set so it shifts at a good rpm and remember you don;t have a kick down. if you try to drive without setting the trans to shift, then you will fry it.

i am not the only person doing this, i got the idea from some buddies who have been doing it for about 3 years longer then i have and their trannies are fine
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Jimmyg233

Ill just see if I can try and find a cable for a 909 or a 727
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

A cable could probably be fabricated to work but it didn't come with a cable, at least on any one I've ever seen. It's a metal rod with a couple bends that connects from the throttle to the trans.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yup, with a joint in the middle
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
Jimmyg233

Could I take a stick carb and throw it on that offhenhauser intake and use the stock linkage?
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the linkage works with the motorcraft, weber, and two barrel holley carbs. the carb just has to sit so the throttle arm is on the driver's side for the linkage to work. even my cruise control worked on all the other carbs but the four barrel holley. its the only one that i cannot find an adapter to turn it the right way

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.