4.2L Pilot Bearing OD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2L Pilot Bearing OD

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4.2L Pilot Bearing OD

Hey guys... got a Dorman 690-042 bearing and the OD is too big to go into the housing on the 4.2... Anyway, wondering if anyone out there has specs for theirs when they did the AX-15 upgrade..

mic'd mine and it reads 0.9805 first reading and 0.9650 second reading...

Does anyone have a machine shop grade read one these? (im trying to read while still under the vehicle, hoping that ive got exact opposite ends on the race)...

rbthompsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know the dimensions since I don't have the items to mic, but I do have machine-shop grade calipers. I did find that the pilot apparently that you need is a pilot bushing from a '73 CJ5 with a 304. I can't confirm, verify, etc but if you are able to get the item or a PN from your local parts store you can either try an install, or look up the PN online and see if the dimensions are referenced.
In the FAQ writeup RichmondYJ mentioned getting his pilot bearing from advanced adaptors for $20 but does not reference a PN for it. I can keep digging thru old posts and will post up a PN if I can find one, or perhaps someone else can chime in if they just happen to know this offhand. The AX 15 swap to replace the BA is not an obscure swap. Somebody knows this info, and I haven't found it in the FAQ writeup yet.

How about THIS BUSHING ? Somebody used this for the BA to AX 15 swap. Is your crank hole really this big--more than 1 3/4" Let me know.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The pilot is similar to the one you have pictured in a different thread (you circled in purple)...
And I think the Dorman 690-042 is the once you are referencing from the 73 CJ...

otherwise, the link shows one that MIGHT fit if I removed what I think is the rear main seal and replace it with that(Strike that, its not the rear main sael...maybe it is a whole bearing.... but that looked like some kind of a seal with a bearing pressed into it. What I ordered was a bushing)... But otherwise, no.. it is less than an inch. I bought the Dorman bushing 690-042 and the ID is correct, but the OD is not.. Im planning on having it machined tomorrow to 0.98 and if it doesnt fit, honing it by hand the last 1/1000 - 3/1000 of an inch... (tolerance on that is less than the tolerance on the ID vs the OD of the snout of the transmission...

BUT, would prefer to have an exact and accurate measurement if anyone has one...
Unread 05-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I believe that 690042 one had something like a 1.056" OD or something. The difference between the 0.9805 and 0.9650 is more significant than you may seem to imply--they are essentially 20 thousandths difference. If you get the one you have machined to 0.98, that would be a lotta honing if you then have to take it down to 0.9650. Could you try a series of readings with whatever tooling you have to try to get a closer reading? That way the machine shop would have a better chance of getting it to the right size, unless they're willing to machine, then let you take it for trial fit, re-machine, etc. If you beat one in that has too much of an interference fit, it will pound the edges in, and then the ID will no longer allow the snout to fit.
I've never figured out why there seems to be so much unpredictable variability with what everyone ends up needing for the pilot on this swap. It doesn't appear to be standard at all. Wish I could find the right PN for you, or at least the correct dimension.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 05-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ill see what the shop wants to charge me to begin with, then see if theyll recut if its too big... depending on cost, i dont mind having it repeatedly cut and paid for... just want it to fit
Unread 05-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I believe in the other thread you were running, I sent you a link to a thread I was the OP on installing pilot bearings. I pulled that up and looked at the photo, and on one of the bearings I could read B128. That is an SKF bearing part number, and it comes up as this one. Since the OD mentioned is likely nominal rather than specific, it appears that the OD of the bearings I was trying to find to MIC is the 1.056 version. That being the case, my OD measurement doesn't help you at all as it matches the OD you have which does not fit. I don't know why yours is significantly less than 1", it sure doesn't allow much thickness to be left when the ID is just over 0.750 does it?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

once i get it cut right, im going to see if i can track down a precut busing/bearing that fits... i cant REALLY do anything with the jeep until tuesday at the earliest (waiting on master/slave adapters... going to make them able to be swapped individually... and driven with an #3an line..)
Unread 05-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

it might NOT be 0.98... im going to take another reading in the morning.. problem is trying to be accurate while holding my caliper at a weird angle and trying to make sure it doesnt move after reading
Unread 05-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Also, went ahead and ordered that actual bearing... might as well see if it fits
Unread 05-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am at work, and thus firewalled from a lot of helpful sites. Try this Crown PN 4338913 and Timken SCH1810 and see if you can find a site where the ID and OD are shown. It may be the smaller OD. (or not, but worth a try.) I did find some places that described package 1.5 X 1.5, but this is not the actual size of the part. Either that or call your parts place and give them that timken number, see if they can find an OD.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #11
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

SCH1810 is OD 1.5
4338913 doesnt have any details i can find online... (also seems to be referenced as a bearing for the transfer case?)
Unread 05-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #12
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, blind path. Somehow saw this as an obtuse reference to a replacement pilot for the early YJs with the peugeot trans. Are you able to find a part number for the pilot you removed from your YJ to begin with? Like if you were simply replacing the pilot and keeping the BA? Find that PN, look it up and find the dimensions and then you'll know your OD requirement.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-23-2014, 04:08 AM   #13
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

possibly, but the old one wasnt easy to take out and the pilot bearing puller ripped it apart... but it should still be on the ground around the truck
Unread 05-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The local parts store will be able to give you the correct part number, and you can then likely look up the dimensions online with that piece of information. You can give that info to the machine shop so they can machine your bushing down to the right size.

Kinda like THIS OD is listed as 0.827" So now what you need to do is verify this is right for your vehicle, but it seems that this will have a real thin wall if the ID is going to be something like 0.754 so you'll end up with a thin sleeve with a wall thickness of 0.035" The difference is only about 70 thousandths, but remember there are 2 walls so to speak and the difference between OD and ID is divided by 2 in a sleeve. This is not only going to be painful to turn down to that size, but what happens when you try to drive it in? It will likely crumple. I'm not sure I've read about this on other threads and can't figure what the other folks did here. Also I don't have any photos to go by to put an eyeball on the issue.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #15
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

May have to call Novak, there is a part number listed in this thread, you'll need to read thru to see if the application is correct for you. PB-AMC34

Also look thru this thread, maybe you have to yank out the entire spacer in the back of the crank that the pilot goes into, and replace that or get it bored out and reinstall with the 1.056 OD pilot that has the 0.754 ID.
The photo in post #9 looks really interesting......

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.