4.2l performance camshaft options.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2l performance camshaft options....

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-29-2002, 08:30 AM   #1
Radioflyer

4.2l performance camshaft options....

hey all...new to the forum and haven`t seen much about the 4.2l camshaft options in the archives, so i have a couple of questions if someone is willing to help me out!
i recently purchased a remanned engine with 27000 miles on it for super cheap. it is from advance adapters. i figured since it is already out, why not do it up right. i have a borla header on the way, high vol. oil pump, HP timing set, motorcraft 2100 carb. (600 cfm) overkill i know, but i`m downsizing the jets. i also have the GM HEI ignition. i have the option of going with a 260/ 272 or a 272/ 284 duration. which would be a better set up for my combo?? i want good speed, power, smooth idle, good offroad ect...
can i use my stock pushrods, springs ect being that they are practically new?

i got a price estimate from summit on crane cams for $180 for the set. is this a good price? thank you to all in advance and i hope i explained myself well enough!
marc
radioflyer

Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2002, 10:12 AM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

This question might be better asked in the engine-tech section as the 4.2l engines were used throughout many years ..

Depending on what your plans are for your Jeep, both options can be good for you. Are you looking towards more torque or more horsepower? Are you wanting to rockcrawl, or sand-drag or mud race?

As for the stock rods, being as they are fairly new, you shouldn't have too many problems with them .. but of course, it would be better to doublecheck them.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2002, 12:32 AM   #3
thewoodscrew
2004 TJ Wrangler 

you might want to look into a 4.0 head swap. from what i've head it should add about 40 horsepower.
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/40Head/40Head.htmplus
you can always get a cam for it and milk some more ponies out of it. hopefully i can install one on my engine later this year.

Thats not an oil leak, it's just marking its territory

White Jeep Club Member #8
thewoodscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.