LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
ateateate123

whats better a carb or fuel injected?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
ateateate123

my jeep uses a carburetor how much money will cost to make it fuel injected? is it better to sell my jeep and buy a fuel injected instead?.
post #18 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 03:21 PM
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It depends on a few things: What kind of engine do you have? How do you use your jeep? What is your mechanical skills? How wealthy are you?

I love carburetors. They are efficiently simple! The engine, not the computer, determines the needs of the carburetor. They are also inexpensive and easy to maintain.

Fuel injection is a lot of hype. Why? If you ever read these threads, most of the problems for the engines are always computer related and/or sensors. Injection has its place BUT the way some talk, we were living in the "stone age" without an "on board" computer. Fuel injection systems run $1,000-2,000.

People debate it either way, but the facts are carburetors have been universally around for over 100 years. Fuel injection has been around "universally" for only a short time. Carburetors work. Fuel injection works. It comes down to personal preference for your personal use.

Take care,

Check out "YJ V6 Conversion" if you want to see a frame up restoration of my 1992 YJ.

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...

post #19 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 04:28 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateateate123 View Post
whats better a carb or fuel injected?
Considering you're in CA, you really have zero options for carbs. You can use the stock carb, that's it for carbs. I would highly recommend fuel injection and again is why I'd suggest just skipping straight to a 4.0 swap, you'll be money ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #20 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 PM
kheihn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe

Considering you're in CA, you really have zero options for carbs. You can use the stock carb, that's it for carbs. I would highly recommend fuel injection and again is why I'd suggest just skipping straight to a 4.0 swap, you'll be money ahead.
I think weber makes a CA legal carb but they are way too complicated. IE crap. I am also pretty sure some Holly carbs can be used in the people's republic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 PM
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

In California, the OEM computer controlled Carter BBD is the only street legal carb for the 4.2L YJ - that's it. No other carburetor is CARB approved for installation on a street legal 4.2L YJ (unless some have been approved within the last 6 months or so). Some people manage to get non-Carter carbs to pass smog on the 4.2L, but that really depends on where you take it to get it smogged (that is, if the smog tech notices or cares that it isn't stock), how well the carb is tuned, and the local smog standards (which can vary by county and zip code). Trust me, if there were CARB legal carburetors for the YJ, I wouldn't have forked out the $1400 for a Howell TBI kit. I like the simplicity of carbs, but here in CA that isn't an option for us 4.2L YJ owners that don't like the Carter BBD.

While the OEM setup can be made to work, it can also be a royal PITA when things go wrong. Plus, some of the smog parts are no longer made or stocked anywhere, and can only be found in junkyards (if you are lucky). Basically, here in California, if you want better performance than the stock Carter BBD, you have to go fuel injection. The Howell TBI is a good option if your 4.2L still has some life in it, or you really want to keep a 4.2L under the hood.

However, swapping in a rebuilt 4.0L, which is already a fuel injected engine, would probably be less expensive than rebuilding the 4.2L (or buying a reman 4.2L) and then paying an extra $1400 (for the CA legal Howell TBI kit) to make it fuel injected. You'd likely use up the $3000 budget of yours if you wanted to keep the 4.2L (or put in a reman one) and go fuel injected.

Unless you are really particular to having the 4.2L (good for the low RPM peak torque), the 4.0L would be the way to go if you want to get rid of the Carter BBD and have a fresh engine and save some money to put towards other upgrades/repairs.
post #22 of 26 Old 01-22-2012, 08:15 AM
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You can allways get more power from a carb, cam, old school hot rodding tricks. At the strip, FI has it's limits, when you start building big power, it's back to carbs. Not that you are looking for a 1000 hp or anything. However, as the guy's have said, being in cally, your limited. You will need to build power around FI to stay legal and thats not a bad thing. Maybe just a bit more expensive. You can buy a complete golen 4.6 stroker motor with 260 hp for around 3,500$, but you will need to inject it. The word performance and the stock carter carb don't even belong in the same sentence. The stock carter carb can be called junk at best. The howell FI kit is the cheaper, but performance is limited, where as the MPI kits you can go to bigger injectors. I was able to get awesome performance from my 258 with a holley 4 barrel and other old school tricks, but I live in Ohio. Here, a vehicle doesn't even have to be tested once it's 25 years old. You'll need to talk to other jeepers in your area to see what you can get away with, "good luck"!!

1987 wrangler, 258 I-6, 5-speed.
2007 liberty sport 4X4, automatic
2009 ford ranger 4x4 FX4 OFF/ROAD, 5-speed
post #23 of 26 Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Pssh. Torrance sucks. Just joking, that's where my family lived for a long while. A google search will bring up places that can do the work. I've heard good things about strokers.

Curious though, would a v8 swap get better mpg than any 4.0/2 due to the lighter power to weight ratio?
I got a 40% increase in mpg by going with a '96 5.2 magnum and the power is unbelievable. I was at a solid 10 mpg and bumped up to 14. I can now smoke my 35's on the street - although this has only been attempted once...

The majority of the cost of this project was financed by parting out my 4.2 and TC.

88 YJ with stuff
post #24 of 26 Old 01-22-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
ateateate123

I think im gonna sell my 1990 jeep YJ and get the YJ that its fuel injected. Its gonna be cheaper anyways.
My jeep YJ has:
new radiator
rebuild carb
new rebuild transmission and clutch
new brakes
good 235 tires (still in really good shape)
new sony radio and polk speakers
new engine mounts
kc lights ( you need to install it i didnt have time)
new hoses everywhere
passed smog test in CA
the body is in good shape no rust!
no salvage title
4x4 works great!
HOW MUCH CAN I GET FOR MY JEEP! IS RUNNING GOOD!
post #25 of 26 Old 01-22-2012, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
ateateate123

And engine has 188k miles
post #26 of 26 Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 PM
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, you're only gonna get what someone is willing to pay for it. Some people are willing to pay more than others.

In southern CA, lately it seems that the 1990 4.2L YJs go for around ~ $3000 (asking price), depending on the mileage, overall condition, and any modifications that have been done (lifts, accessories, etc.). You could probably list it a few hundred higher, and expect the potential buyer to whittle down the price due to the high mileage. I've seen listings as high as $5000 for what looks like a stock 4.2L, but I wouldn't pay that much unless the mileage was REALLY low and the whole Jeep was in pristine condition, body, drivetrain and all. I paid $3500 for my YJ two years ago, w/~150k mi, stock 4.2L, rust free body, small shackle lift. Ran great at the time, passed smog no problem. I happened to find a good Jeep and was willing to pay pretty close to the asking price, as I really liked what I saw, and didn't mind the blemishes that were there.

Tags
4.2 liter , 4x4 conversion , check engine , jeep forum , jeep yj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.