4.2L Fuel Injection and Build - Page 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2L Fuel Injection and Build

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #436
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The relay is that easy.... Just run a wire from the 8 gage black wire w/ white stripe to starter solinoid... Connect starter wire at bulkead to trip relay and poof , its magic

Built Not Bought #447, 1992 Jeep XJ Supercharged 4.7, 1988 Jeep YJ Auto 4.2L, 2008 Commander Limited HEMI, 1990 Jeep YJ 4.7L Fuel Injected AW4, 1981 Scrambler 304 Auto

I Am The Jeep Surgeon!!!
cevans87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #437
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

all voltages check out but it is throwing codes 22 and 25. Also i have a question, if i cut pin 30 and ground the ecu side, what do i do with the other end going to the pdc?
meangreeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #438
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You do not cut pin 30. Pin 57 is the one you need to ground.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #439
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I guess I had it wrong. Pin 57 is the asd relay. Disreguard
Unread 06-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #440
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If the starter is turning it doesn't matter what you do with the other side.
Unread 06-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #441
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

do i ground both sides or just the ecu side of pin 30
Unread 06-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #442
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yes it is turning, i have fuel but it will not fire, it was a running 4.0l 5sp yj that i was installing an aw4 into but somewhere have gone wrong
Unread 06-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #443
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So the asd and fuel pump relays are functioning on there own and pulling in when you turn the key?
Unread 06-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #444
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Also did you measure the 5 and 8 volts with the meter ground lead connection to the ground on the connector?
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #445
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yes sensors were measured that way and the two relays come on with the key. I am starting to lose my mind on this swap, many,many four letter words today
Unread 06-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #446
wrangin_myNeck
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Double post
wrangin_myNeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #447
wrangin_myNeck
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreeny View Post
yes sensors were measured that way and the two relays come on with the key. I am starting to lose my mind on this swap, many,many four letter words today
Hey, I just want to throw this out there bc I've read a few swaps where people had their dizzy clocked 180 out an it was firing on the exhaust stroke. After dealig with all the wiring it's easy to overlook that.

And the 2.5l pin out that was posted matches the 4.0?
wrangin_myNeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #448
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK I am going to run the gambit of possible issues so keep in mind I am not sure what you have done with the entire build out so they are not meant to be insulting to you. Did you use the correct flywheel? The position of the sensor was an issue and you said you were slotting it, are you sure your sensor is close enough to get a good trigger? The VSS uses the same power as the cam/crank and if it shorts it will take out the signal from the cam/crank. Are the wires from the vss ok? When you ran the new fuel pump and fuel lines to the fuel rail for the higher pressure pump did you hook them up correctly to the fuel rail and tank? Possibly switched the supply and return? Do you have spark at the plugs? If you do did you pull the distributor and flip it 180 out? Also on your 2 fault codes, start by doing a battery disconnect for a long 10 count and see if they clear. If they do not clear then check the voltage for each one on the connector and the continuity of the sensors to the ecu. Do a real good cursory check of the ecu connector and the sensor connectors to make sure there are no loose pins. Take the backshell off the ecu connector and make sure nothing is shorted or loose.
Unread 06-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #449
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok everything was existing all i am trying to do is interconnect the aw4 wiring into the existing yj harness. The two vss wires are currently not connected from the aw4 harness because it was a 2 wire vss in the 91 xj i used and my yj is a 3 wire vss. The flywheel is a 91 no renix and the crank sensor is the same on a 91 auto xj and my 92 standard yj. Somewhere in my interconnection I must have made a mistake or maybe i need to hook up the transmission vss wires and not my yj's harness wires. There cannot be much on the aw4 wiring that can prevent engine start up but somehow or other i am missing something
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #450
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangin_myNeck View Post
Hey, I just want to throw this out there bc I've read a few swaps where people had their dizzy clocked 180 out an it was firing on the exhaust stroke. After dealig with all the wiring it's easy to overlook that.

And the 2.5l pin out that was posted matches the 4.0?
While this could be true, the 4.0L has an odd number of teeth, so it can't be turned a true 180 degrees. The only way to do this is by rotation the spark plug wires 180 degrees.

Two things that kept my Jeep from running after the swap was;
1) Spark plug wires had to be swapped around 180 degrees,
2) Security feature over ride. Locate the purple and white twisted pair of wires, cut them about six or so inches away from the PDC, and splice them together.

Here are my two posts on these.

Security wires. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...l#post10338886

Spark Plug wires. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...l#post10382288

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.