4.2L Fuel Injection and Build - Page 29 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2L Fuel Injection and Build

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 06-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #421
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

No bulkhead connector ?

Built Not Bought #447, 1992 Jeep XJ Supercharged 4.7, 1988 Jeep YJ Auto 4.2L, 2008 Commander Limited HEMI, 1990 Jeep YJ 4.7L Fuel Injected AW4, 1981 Scrambler 304 Auto

I Am The Jeep Surgeon!!!
cevans87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #422
wrangin_myNeck
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevans87
No bulkhead connector ?
Right. The only wire going through the firewall went through in a bundle, in two different places, and I just cut them. I believe I have all the wiring I need but won't know for sure until I can check out the FSM to see insulation colors.
wrangin_myNeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #423
dieselcolt44
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What do you want to know? I've done this swap too
dieselcolt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #424
wrangin_myNeck
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcolt44 View Post
What do you want to know? I've done this swap too
Good point, my post was open ended. I want to eliminate my starter relay on the firewall and use the PDC to keep things a little more organized.

I labeled all of my stock ignition wires but I'm not sure how I would run them into the PDC I could use one of the relays I don't need, AC, ABS, etc. I'm just not quite 100% on how try should be hooked up.
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #425
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangin_myNeck View Post
Right. The only wire going through the firewall went through in a bundle, in two different places, and I just cut them. I believe I have all the wiring I need but won't know for sure until I can check out the FSM to see insulation colors.
Cut wires are ugly to start with. I wish you the best of luck.
I went through this conversion some time ago, and I am happy to report that the Basket Case is still running strong. And to add, I am getting an average of 17 MPG, not bad for a rolling brick.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #426
wrangin_myNeck
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
Cut wires are ugly to start with. I wish you the best of luck.
I went through this conversion some time ago, and I am happy to report that the Basket Case is still running strong. And to add, I am getting an average of 17 MPG, not bad for a rolling brick.
Well they would be ugly if they were left, but I am removing them and leaving only what is necessary. If by ugly you mean hard to figure out what is what, I think I will be fine, well I hope.

As long as I power my PDC, I should only need the 5 to fire going into my bulkhead connector, right? I have the diagram from the first page and they all seem to be ignition ASD related wires.

My ignition wires going into the cab were obviously cut, but while I was stripping out the old wires and cutting them at the PDC I made sure to leave a long pig tail so I can tie them into the old system.

My only confusion lies within the 'starter relay' that was originally on my firewall. I'm not quite sure how to wire that into a traditional 4/5 prong relay for use in my PDC

is my logic correct here or is there a need to plug the xj harness into the bulkhead and remove the yj harness for reasons other than ignition?
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #427
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

wranglin my neck : the theroy of only what I need and 5 for fire is fine but what needs to be realized is you have more than five wires to control the fuel injection... the 5 for fire is to run the fuel injection...

sensor inputs and returns, circuits that may be used later on... that stuff you don't want to loose.

you can get rid of the firewall starter relay and use the PDC... on the wires going to the alternator there should be a large 8 gage black wire with white stripe with a plastic recessed connector... run a wire from that to your starter solinoid and you will have it like you want it.

Hope this helps, sorry it took me so long to respond just now getting off work.
Built Not Bought #447, 1992 Jeep XJ Supercharged 4.7, 1988 Jeep YJ Auto 4.2L, 2008 Commander Limited HEMI, 1990 Jeep YJ 4.7L Fuel Injected AW4, 1981 Scrambler 304 Auto

I Am The Jeep Surgeon!!!
cevans87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #428
lclark2074
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Good point, my post was open ended. I want to eliminate my starter relay on the firewall and use the PDC to keep things a little more organized.

I labeled all of my stock ignition wires but I'm not sure how I would run them into the PDC I could use one of the relays I don't need, AC, ABS, etc. I'm just not quite 100% on how try should be hooked up.
hears a pic it may help you
Unread 06-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #429
wrangin_myNeck
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevans87 View Post
wranglin my neck : the theroy of only what I need and 5 for fire is fine but what needs to be realized is you have more than five wires to control the fuel injection... the 5 for fire is to run the fuel injection...

sensor inputs and returns, circuits that may be used later on... that stuff you don't want to loose.

you can get rid of the firewall starter relay and use the PDC... on the wires going to the alternator there should be a large 8 gage black wire with white stripe with a plastic recessed connector... run a wire from that to your starter solinoid and you will have it like you want it.

Hope this helps, sorry it took me so long to respond just now getting off work.
I realize that I need more than 5 wires from the xj, and everything for the sensors, ECM, and FI are unharmed. The only wires removed were those that went through the firewall, into the cab. Since that is all for gauges, 4wd, AC, ABS, I don't need any of that anyway.

One question though. What exactly is the 8 gauge wire? It must require more than that simple connection to eliminate the stock relay.

I think that diagram is exactly what I was looking for, especially for the ASD wiring. I hope I can get it figured out with what I have now, but if not, I'll be back with more questions, thanks guys, and thanks Cevans for all the info you posted
Unread 06-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #430
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Well they would be ugly if they were left, but I am removing them and leaving only what is necessary. If by ugly you mean hard to figure out what is what, I think I will be fine, well I hope.

As long as I power my PDC, I should only need the 5 to fire going into my bulkhead connector, right? I have the diagram from the first page and they all seem to be ignition ASD related wires.

My ignition wires going into the cab were obviously cut, but while I was stripping out the old wires and cutting them at the PDC I made sure to leave a long pig tail so I can tie them into the old system.

My only confusion lies within the 'starter relay' that was originally on my firewall. I'm not quite sure how to wire that into a traditional 4/5 prong relay for use in my PDC
is my logic correct here or is there a need to plug the xj harness into the bulkhead and remove the yj harness for reasons other than ignition?
Lol. I did mean that it would be a challenge to figure out that spaghetti mess. While I didn't have that type of challenge I did still have one. Check out my thread at the bottom of my sig, you will see what I had to start with. Maybe I'll have something there that will help. Keep up the determination, you will prevail. The results will be worth It.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #431
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i am about 90% done the aw4 swap right now with a 91 xj and my 92yj and have a few questions regarding the backup light wire and the neutral safety wire. first how do i hook up the reverse light wire to the yj harness and secondly the neutral wire. I have grounded pin 30 on the yj pcm and connected the neutral wire to the other end leading to the pdc but i i figure this must not be right as i can only get the engine turn over and i have fuel pressure at the rail. Seems i must be missing something because i am lacking spark.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as i will be the first to admit i can swap and rebuild anything but am electrically retarded.....lol
meangreeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #432
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pin 57 is the nss
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #433
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so still a no start on my aw4 swap so i will go through it all and perhaps you guys can tell me where i went wrong or what i have missed.
First the black 6 way plug
A. blu/wht - pin#9 run/start
B.bwn/ylw- pin#57 z2 sens
C.blk/bwn- ground
D.blank
E.grn/bwn- backup lights
F.blank
G.gry/blk-tcu
H.grn/blk-tcu

Second the 8 way grey plug
A.blk/ylw- speed sensor/not used left original wiring in from yj
B.blk/bwn- ground
C.tan/wht- tcu road speed
D.blank
E.wht/blk-s3
F.vio/wht-s2
G.blu/wht-s1
H.blk/red- speed sensor/also not using

Other tcu wires are
thick red wire d14 - pin#3 battery
yellow d16- pin#19 ignition
wht/pnk c10- pin#29 tcc feed"brake"
org/blu d2- pin#22 tps
blk/lt blu d3- pin#4 sensor ground
grn/pnk - comes off the tcu diagnostic plug, i have no idea what to do with this wire

Finally the trans comfort switch
tan tcu- switch
black switch to ground
blue/wht- pin#9 run/start

SO WHERE HAVE I GONE WRONG
meangreeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #434
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This is a basic pinout of the ecu. Everything deali ng with starting and running the YJ is in control of the ecu so start with the ecu. With a meter check power on pins 3 and 9 refrenced to 11 and 12. If both are good the check for the 5 volt and 8 volt out put on the crank position sensor and the temp sensor by the tstat housing the sensors refrenced to the sensor grounds on the connectors. If both of those are good then use a test light with one lead to battery positive and the other to the wire for pin 32 on the ecu. (You can pierce it with a pin to make contact with the test light) and use it as the CEL to check your fault codes by doing the ignition switch cycling trick.
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #435
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

oops here is the ecu pin out
2.5_plug.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.