4.2L carter carb float? help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2L carter carb float? help!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Charles88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

4.2L carter carb float? help!

Hey guys, my brother recently got a 4.2L 89 yj, has the stock carb, the car is running good but when you are going downhill in the moment you stop going down and star going up the car turns off, and its a little difficult to start, then when it starts you can go up 3 hours and it won´t fail, just in the change of downhill to uphill, I heard this is about de float in the carb, how can I adjust this? is there any other problem that could cause this? thanks!

And thinking of lots more!
Charles88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would start with cleaning out the idle tubes, it's a common problem.

http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-...eep-cj-7-or-w/
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Yes the float is easily adjusted if that is the problem. It is done by bending the little tab on the pivot arm piece of the float. You remove the top of the carb to get to it.
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Charles88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

thank you! the idle is always good, so I don´t think that´s the problem, i`m gonna check this but it goes off when its running not when its in idle!
And thinking of lots more!
Charles88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Guesses:

Check the routing of the fuel hoses. If they are getting hot it might vapor lock.

Vacuum advance or mechanical advance in the distributor.

Is it an auto trans? If so maybe the torque converter is not unlocking.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I know this Jeep, Charles is a friend. I would say start by adjusting the float level and cleaning the tubes... the Jeep is not auto, we need to do the timing properly as well, last time I timed it so we could start it after the nutter but I know we have to do it again. Jeep was parked for two years so in the beginning we were just trying to get it started and get it to burn some crap out of the system... now it is running much better and we can work on timing it more accurately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.