4.2L to 4.6L Golen Stroker Swap Writeup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2L to 4.6L Golen Stroker Swap Writeup

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

4.2L to 4.6L Golen Stroker Swap Writeup

The time is came to add some power to olí Sarah, we decided after much deliberation to go with Golens 4.6L stroker with a NV3550 mounted to it.

First things first, we needed to get the old 4.2L junker outta there. At one point this was going to be simpler 4.0 head swap hence why the valve cover is off. Started by pulling out some of the stuff we didnít need anymore:

Engine bay just about cleaned out:

Next it was time to pull some stuff under the Jeep, for ease of pulling the engine we pulled the transfer case, with it came the driveshafts and shifter as well. Donít forget to support the tranny when you remove the crossmember. Due to the low ceiling in the garage we also pulled out the grill to be able to slide the engine straight back

Next it was time to pull the old engine, we hooked the cherry picker chains to it and started to raise it until the there was no slack left in the chains and pulled the bolts.

Again due to the small garage insead of sliding the engine back we had to roll the whole Jeep back to get the engine out, it worked just fine. Then we just mounted it to the engine stand and called it good.

'94 Grand Cherokee ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knatdog55
matt, you are a dirty hooker, deal with it....
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING
GroundClearance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Now it was time to give Sarah her new juice a Golen 4.6L stroker with a NV3550 mounted up for good measure.

Point of advice: Don’t assume that your doner tranny is drained.

Mounting it in was easy, just reverse the removing procedures and throw the bolts in, since the 4.2L is a 4.0 block it mounted straight into the 4.2 engine mounts, however just for good measure we did replace the engine mounts.

We called it a day at this point. Next getting the beast running!
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING
Unread 12-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Since we no longer had the 4.2Ls manual fuel pump we needed to pick up a aftermarket inline fuel pump, I just looked up what flow we would need (I canít remember where at this point, but it wasnít hard) and went down to Kragen and picked one up for about $40 if I remember correctly. The new pump came with everything that was needed except for some mounting brackets and fuel line, the zip ties shown next were just for a temporary basis for test fitting. While youíre at the auto parts store you might as well pick up some fuel injection hose to run from the pump to the intake. (The pump is now in a permanent welded in bracket, I will get a picture of it as soon as I get the chance.)

After the fuel pump was mounted with fuel lines routed I began the tear down of the transfer case, because the B/A 105 has a 21 spline output shaft and the NV3550 has a 23 spline shaft I had to change the input shaft on my 231. I had torn down a few transfer cases before so I wasnít to worried and this one was not different, pretty easy.

Here it is with everything torn apart, its really not as bad as it might look. Just take a good look at it and when you do put it all back together run it through all the gears a few times to make sure everything shifts right.

The 21 spline (left) and the new 23 spline input shaft. We went to a junkyard looked through their selection of transfer cases and found one with a 23 spline shaft pretty quickly, tore it down to get it out and paid $30, you can also buy them online, but the junkyard is the best choice in my opinion. After we had it reassembled we just bolted it back up to the NV3550 put up the skid and connected the driveshafts. Everything was looking good until we ran the case through its gears and found out that it was contacting the floorboard, not allowing it to fully shift. The fix was easy enough though, just cut out what was hitting

After it was all cut and cleared we just cleaned up the cuts and called it good. Also one of the bolt holes for the transfer case shifter wont line up with the NV3550 but with the remaining bolts it was still very tight, hopefully it doesn't become a issue. The only thing left to do besides wiring was hooking up the old master cylinder to the new slave on the NV3550, the only thing that had to be done was to buy a line adapter from Kragen to hook it up.

The end was in sight! Then.... came wiring, after a week of failed attempts I had to go on deployment and the Jeep went to the shop to get wired, the only thing I can tell you about the wiring is that it is no joke, if you donít know what youíre doing donít start, the entire Jeep needed to be re-wired between the new engine harness and the fact that the old chassis harness was on its last leg anyway it made for bad times, but in the end it came out clean.

'47 CJ2A
Quote:
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING
Unread 12-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Floppy

1990 YJ Wrangler 

great thread... I'm going through the same thing right now with mixing an engine harness with a chassis harness. I'd like to hear more detail on the wiring part of it.
2006 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom
1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle (sunroof and 1904cc motor)
1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle (wolfsburg edition)
Floppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hard work pays off. Good thread. I'll keep checking back.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It also needed a new high performance radiator after everything was done, I just put that in the other day, I will post up some more when I get back to my camera.

As for the wiring I can't be of much help since I couldn't finish it before I went on deployment so it was done professionally, I do know that he had a custom harness made to make everything plug and play.
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING
Unread 12-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my new radiator through Oconee Offroad for less the $200 shipped to my door, the shipping took less then a week and the radiator was in perfect shape. I haven't been able to do a real test of it in the desert yet, but so far on just driving around town it is keeping the new beast nice and cool.

87-04 Jeep Wrangler 3 Row Radiator
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING
Unread 05-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
bvk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

GREAT thread thanks, have bookmarked. I just shot a rod out of my 4.0. I'm in norcal, the v8 thing is looking a bit tough to do the way I want to so im leaning towards the golen motor...
bvk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.