Since we no longer had the 4.2Ls manual fuel pump we needed to pick up a aftermarket inline fuel pump, I just looked up what flow we would need (I canít remember where at this point, but it wasnít hard) and went down to Kragen and picked one up for about $40 if I remember correctly. The new pump came with everything that was needed except for some mounting brackets and fuel line, the zip ties shown next were just for a temporary basis for test fitting. While youíre at the auto parts store you might as well pick up some fuel injection hose to run from the pump to the intake. (The pump is now in a permanent welded in bracket, I will get a picture of it as soon as I get the chance.)
After the fuel pump was mounted with fuel lines routed I began the tear down of the transfer case, because the B/A 105 has a 21 spline output shaft and the NV3550 has a 23 spline shaft I had to change the input shaft on my 231. I had torn down a few transfer cases before so I wasnít to worried and this one was not different, pretty easy.
Here it is with everything torn apart, its really not as bad as it might look. Just take a good look at it and when you do put it all back together run it through all the gears a few times to make sure everything shifts right.
The 21 spline (left) and the new 23 spline input shaft. We went to a junkyard looked through their selection of transfer cases and found one with a 23 spline shaft pretty quickly, tore it down to get it out and paid $30, you can also buy them online, but the junkyard is the best choice in my opinion. After we had it reassembled we just bolted it back up to the NV3550 put up the skid and connected the driveshafts. Everything was looking good until we ran the case through its gears and found out that it was contacting the floorboard, not allowing it to fully shift. The fix was easy enough though, just cut out what was hitting
After it was all cut and cleared we just cleaned up the cuts and called it good. Also one of the bolt holes for the transfer case shifter wont line up with the NV3550 but with the remaining bolts it was still very tight, hopefully it doesn't become a issue. The only thing left to do besides wiring was hooking up the old master cylinder to the new slave on the NV3550, the only thing that had to be done was to buy a line adapter from Kragen to hook it up.
The end was in sight! Then.... came wiring, after a week of failed attempts I had to go on deployment and the Jeep went to the shop to get wired, the only thing I can tell you about the wiring is that it is no joke, if you donít know what youíre doing donít start, the entire Jeep needed to be re-wired between the new engine harness and the fact that the old chassis harness was on its last leg anyway it made for bad times, but in the end it came out clean.