4.2L 258 stroker? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2L 258 stroker?

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 10-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
MontyWilco

4.2L 258 stroker?

Iv been looking around for stroker kits for my 1980 AMC 258. however i can only find stuff to stroke the 4.0L any one know about how much this cost and where i can find a kit to do it with(or just a parts list). Im sorry if this subject has been beaten dead once or twice but i need reinsurance. thanks.

MontyWilco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
mp3coupe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You use a 4.0 block with 258(4.2) parts.
http://jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html
mp3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
MontyWilco

so there is no way to stroke a 4.2? any thing else i can do to get some more tourqe or a longer stroke? i have a 1980 AMC and i plan on the 4.0L head with fuel injection and a nice intake on it. any one have a clue on what i should do for a computer?

I kinda got into this project with great plans and though i searched it thuraly but now im kinda in some pickels that i start tearing this CJ down and looking at things. I dont know how to redo my guages for this thing, i dont know what to do about a computer and many of those little things that mean a lot. any one know of anything give me some tips. I <33 TIPS!
Unread 10-05-2006, 05:55 AM   #4
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can get a little bit of stroke by having the crank reground eccentric.
But why??
from what I hear the 4.2 w/4.0 heads has plenty of power and if that really isn't enough hp then a small v8, not enough torque then go mercedes diesel.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2006, 06:42 AM   #5
MontyWilco

useing the 4.2L cause i dont have the money for a V8 conversion, wich means im not even CLOSE to mercedies deisel. lol but thanks
Unread 10-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Bore it .030 over and make it a 4.7L... that and an MPI kit, header/exhaust setup make for about 250-260hp

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
Songman
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

One person said 4.2 with 4.0 heads. Another said 4.0 with 4.2 heads.

Which works best?
Songman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 12:47 PM   #8
Austin_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songman
One person said 4.2 with 4.0 heads. Another said 4.0 with 4.2 heads.

Which works best?
The 4.2 with the 4.0 HEAD...there is only one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.