4.2 - What affects idle speed? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2 - What affects idle speed?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by befumo View Post
But why would this affect idle speed? Seems to be something funky going on. It refuses to fast idle properly as well.. even though it is set to 1700. (Changed it with the EGR valve hose plugged, second cam etc). It will start up to 1700 then start increasing towards 2,000 rpms.

Went through and checked all vacuum hoses today, all good.

re: Manifold heater: Didn't mean to check the operation, but check the mounting for vacuum leaks. These are known to cause intermittent vac leaks, and are rarely checked as they aren't visible without a mirror.

If your carb won't hold a steady idle when warmed and properly adjusted, check the return springs (2), and check the throttle shaft bushings for wear. Worn shaft bushings will cause the throttle to stick partially open at idle when warm.

Unread 07-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
Wrenchtosser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by befumo
Not sure what exactly you mean lol. The high idle screw sits on the fast idle cam which sets when you pump the gas before you start it. Then the screws rides up the fast idle cam with the choke, or that is how its supposed to work.

For setting the fast idle go below, its the second cam step up from the bottom by the way. Made that mistake..

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/solvac.htm#setting
Great info! Thanks for the picture and the link! Now I have a MUCH better understanding of how that Sol Vac thingie works. Much appreciated!
Wrenchtosser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
OregonNBeyond
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Bef, Should have the clutch job done by tomorrow, ugh, so that will be next on the list. Easy by comparison

Ginger
OregonNBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #19
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
re: Manifold heater: Didn't mean to check the operation, but check the mounting for vacuum leaks. These are known to cause intermittent vac leaks, and are rarely checked as they aren't visible without a mirror.

If your carb won't hold a steady idle when warmed and properly adjusted, check the return springs (2), and check the throttle shaft bushings for wear. Worn shaft bushings will cause the throttle to stick partially open at idle when warm.
Return springs i am assuming you mean..

This is how the screw sits on the fast idle cam after the normal two pumps of the accelerator before starting.

Starting to run out of ideas here, just manually tested the vacuum choke pull off and it works.
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #20
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i had the return spring problem a lot on my weber 34. the springs just wouldn't pull the accelerator arm back enough every time i let off the gas. sometimes that would and sometimes it would stick open at 1000 rpm. it sucked. i had to put some heavy springs on and hten it was so heavy it made it hard to drive the jeep smoothly. i think it was just because my weber 34 was a crappy knock off of a weber or something. it was new when i got this jeep and it still sucked. i never had an issue like that on any other weber i have ever owned or on any of the motorcraft or holleys i have owned
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well i noticed that some people have two springs. Does anyone else run two springs, is this stock or? I guess i will go ahead and try it.
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
wturner1981
1990 YJ Wrangler 

newbe what does nuttered mean .and how are you getting 22mpg im get 13 mpg on 31x10.50
wturner1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.