4.2 weber 38 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2 weber 38

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

4.2 weber 38

I just installed my new weber 38 and am in the process of getting the lean best idle. Problem is if I bottom out the mixture screws with the jeep running it makes no difference to how it udles. The idle speed screw is backed out so it doesn't touch at all.

I pulled a plug and it is was tan originally now it is pretty close to completely black.

I'm also running a mad street fire (no tach yet) and distributor set on 18r slot with lighter advance springs.

I've been reading the weber set up and tune discussion. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would he much appreciated.

Edit: would not having my fuel pressure regulator installed yet cause this problem?

JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok first you do need the pressure regulator as webers hate fuel pressure, I put mine after the filter, so it can return to the tank and not be so hard on the pump. Second is are you sure you are not up on the fast idle cam? Best way I found to get lean best idle was to open the choke plates all the way up, either by letting it heat the choke thermostat or adjusting it off with the thermostat . I'm assuming you have the electric choke. If the throttle is even on the first notch it will uncover the transition port. And you can't get it lean enough to die with the port uncovered. Number three, is the throttle binding someway? I know the hyam joints or the two ball joints whichever you prefer, can and will hang if not in line with each other, so be sure to check linkage for binding. Fourth, no vacuum leak? Check the adapter plates as these are prone to leak at every gasket, I ended up yellow death ing mine as well as using blue locktite on all the bolts. Check all your install, even if you have to start over from scratch. Try all this first then let us know how it works
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown50 View Post
Ok first you do need the pressure regulator as webers hate fuel pressure, I put mine after the filter, so it can return to the tank and not be so hard on the pump. Second is are you sure you are not up on the fast idle cam? Best way I found to get lean best idle was to open the choke plates all the way up, either by letting it heat the choke thermostat or adjusting it off with the thermostat . I'm assuming you have the electric choke. If the throttle is even on the first notch it will uncover the transition port. And you can't get it lean enough to die with the port uncovered. Number three, is the throttle binding someway? I know the hyam joints or the two ball joints whichever you prefer, can and will hang if not in line with each other, so be sure to check linkage for binding. Fourth, no vacuum leak? Check the adapter plates as these are prone to leak at every gasket, I ended up yellow death ing mine as well as using blue locktite on all the bolts. Check all your install, even if you have to start over from scratch. Try all this first then let us know how it works
I just installed the regulator, and the idle mixture screws work now. No tach at the moment so I can't tell my rpm at idle but with a vacuum gauge I'm pulling 21. Linkage also looks good, its smooth throughout the whole throttle position.

Weber turned the plugs black, but after the above they went back to tan. I also put new ones on so we'll see how they work.

On the vacuum leaks I forgot I was out of carb cleaner so I'll have to go get more. What is "yellow deathing"? I read somewhere about putting motor oil on the gaskets, so that is what I did.
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCashen

I just installed the regulator, and the idle mixture screws work now. No tach at the moment so I can't tell my rpm at idle but with a vacuum gauge I'm pulling 21. Linkage also looks good, its smooth throughout the whole throttle position.

Weber turned the plugs black, but after the above they went back to tan. I also put new ones on so we'll see how they work.

On the vacuum leaks I forgot I was out of carb cleaner so I'll have to go get more. What is "yellow deathing"? I read somewhere about putting motor oil on the gaskets, so that is what I did.
Yellow death refers to the 3m weatherstrip adhesive I usually use grease, but it didn't work on the weber adapters so I used the 3m, have had no problems since
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is 4psi of fuel to much? None of my local auto stores carry fuel pressure gauges, so I can't get it set exactly until I order one.
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

3.5 psi might work better if you can adjust it that way - that's what mine is set at and runs just fine

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.