4.2 rebuild with intake question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2 rebuild with intake question

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 03-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4.2 rebuild with intake question

So ive got my motor pulled and going to be dropping off at machine shop very soon. My question is is there anything i can do to the intake like bore or polish

bck4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

maybe pressure clean it real good. you can port match the head and intake, theres a vid on you tube on how to do it. also if you look inside the intake ports on the head you will see casting ridges, you can remove them with a die grinder. no need to polish the 4.2 doesn't rev high enough to benefit from it.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
maybe pressure clean it real good. you can port match the head and intake, theres a vid on you tube on how to do it. also if you look inside the intake ports on the head you will see casting ridges, you can remove them with a die grinder. no need to polish the 4.2 doesn't rev high enough to benefit from it.
Roadyrob is correct. The 258 is known for it's low end torque, it's not a high revving engine and you won't see the performance gain as a result.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

These guys are right. If you want to up the performance of the 4.2 swap a 4.0 head on and get some headers. That will give you a noticeable jump in performance as the 4.0 head breathes much better than the 4.2.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

actually if your staying with a carb I'd keep the 4.2 head, mill it 10 thousands, port match and clean up the casting. if your going fuel injection the 4.0 head works great, especially if you get a FI cam.

Unread 03-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You might find miniscule gains by polishing if your intake has a lot of sharp turns and big mold sprues but that would only be from keeping the fuel from dropping out in the eddy swirls.
Where you will find huge gains (again possibly) is from port matching. But you need both the head and manifold for that. The last engine I did was my 351c on a mustang. I used playdoh to figure out where the opening in the head and the opening in the manifold runners didn't match up. One was so bad it reduced the opening by about 15%.
At any engine speed you should have a smooth constant path for the air and fuel to travel.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

when I port matched my 4.2 I used the gasket, like I posted earlier, theres a vid on you tube that shows how to do it. the vid just shows doing the head but I did the manifold the same way. if you don't have a die grinder a dremel will work.

Unread 03-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
actually if your staying with a carb I'd keep the 4.2 head, mill it 10 thousands, port match and clean up the casting. if your going fuel injection the 4.0 head works great, especially if you get a FI cam.
Look into a hotter cam. The stock cam is extremely mild and that will make more difference (I believe) than head mods.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input guys lots of help
bck4more is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.