4.2 L engine trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2 L engine trouble

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-26-2001, 06:47 PM   #1
muddymark

4.2 L engine trouble

1990 YJ 4.2L Carb'd. It will run OK, then next time it may not. It will sputter badly between 1,000 and 2200 RPM and the cat will glow red hot. Sometimes it wont even start for an hour or longer, then it decides to run again. I am stumped! Put in new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, coil. Also checked timing. All the wiring seems good. Also changed pickup coil in dist. Maybe o2 sensor or cat? Please help if you can. EMail for more details MGcsl@aol.com

Looks Great, Runs Horrible!
muddymark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2001, 07:35 PM   #2
JeeperJay

I'm thinking its the cat. I need a new cat too and I know its robbing tons of power and makes the motor idle bad. Considering its glowing red hot I'd say thats your problem. I would also check your O2 sensor because that may be the root of your problem. So you're looking at a new cat and maybe a O2 sensor if thats bad also.
Unread 09-27-2001, 07:31 AM   #3
dartboy

Welcome to the world of 4.2's Itès never going to run perfect but yours definately sounds worse than it should be. Given the symptoms I would have to agree with JeeperJay. A red hot cat sounds like you need a new one. Might as well change the O2 sensor as well, if you have never changed it before chances are that it is the original.most of us skip over the O2 sensor during regular tune ups. Jeep should run great (as good as our carbs will let it anyway)after those are replaced.

good luck
dartboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2001, 08:46 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Why change the cat .. pull it out and straight pipe it .. much better for power and fewer problems for your Jeep.

I am running cat-free right now!
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2001, 09:41 PM   #5
JeeperBill88

When your catalytic converter is red hot, that is an indication that it is trying its best to clean up an exhaust stream that is very rich with a lot of extra unburned gas going through it....I think your real problem is in the Carter BBD carburetor.

Pull out a spark plug and look at the end. I bet it is real black and sooty. If this is the case, you need to look at the carb as the real source of your problems.

Unfortunately, getting this carb to run halfway decent is a real pain. Unless you have many years of carb experience, identifying the problem is best left to the experts. Do you have a good independent carb shop in your area?

I have a carb rebuild kit on my bench, and will be rebuilding my carb in the next few weeks... My problems include bad idle ( dies at stop signs) and hard starting ( cranks for 20 seconds before starting cold because the choke will not close)..

These computer controlled carbs are real pieces of key wrap, no wonder they went to fuel injection...
31" BFG AT KO's
JeeperBill88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.