4.2 intake on 4.0 head? Head swap problems! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
grimjeeperyj14
1990 YJ Wrangler 

4.2 intake on 4.0 head? Head swap problems!

I was told somewhere that I could make the 4.2 intake work on the 4.0 head. How was this done, the gaskets dont match up, and has circle ports intead of square ports. I have everything all the other parts for the head swap but this is holding me back. I also have an aftermarket 4.2 performance header can I make that work too?

Driving my Jeep is uncomfortable, loud and drafty.... and I love every minute of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 PM
ElvisV04290

1990 YJ Wrangler 

You need a gasket for a 4.0 head. The 4.2 intake will match up to that. My guess is the gasket you are using is for a 4.2 head. And you can't make the 4.2 header work, you need a 4.0 one.

1990 YJ, Colorado Red with 'Laredo' markings, 4.2L, TF999, NP231, Valvoline Syn fluids, Weber 32/36, Nutter Bypass, Dana 30/35, 16" Electric Fan, Optima Yellow Top, 140amp alt., K&N Air Filter, Cherry Bomb muffler, SRC Front Bumper, CH&F Shackles, KC 100w Daylighters, Homemade Lightbar, Rear Aux lights, Cobra CB/PA/WX, 102" Whip Ant., 400 watt power inverter, 2 fire extinguishers, Mobile Internet & WiFi equipped.
Daily Driver since April 23rd, 2003

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 32/36 Install ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Early YJ Club Member #37
For anyone with a 4.2L -->
post #3 of 28 Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 PM
dblakey
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The intake will fit. I cant remember exactly how, but when i did the head swap on mine a few years ago, I used the 4.2 carb intake and a 4.0 header. I remember grinding a little on the intake to allow it to locate properly on the head, but can't remember where. Also, I remember having to grind on the power steering bracket for clearance of the header. The port mismatch is not that big a deal considering the rpms you will be turning. The swap makes a huge increase in torque and upper rpm hp. There should be a lot of info on this somewhere.

Sorry I can't remember, but I can tell you it does fit.

post #4 of 28 Old 03-29-2010, 08:35 PM
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here you go, search engines are your friend.
4.2L Head Conversion - Putting a 4.0L head on a 4.2L block!! - Jeep at Off-Road.com

Dwayne

[url]
Prevent Flat Tappet Cam Failure.

[url]

post #5 of 28 Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 PM
superj

no more pics in that link

I don't feel like working on anything at this time so i sold my yj.
post #6 of 28 Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are you looking for something SuperJ. This is reviving a year old thread.
post #7 of 28 Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 AM
superj

just the pics. i was told my jeep had a cherokee motor in it when i bought it, and all the sensors were cherokee sensors but it doesn't look like one. and then if it is a 4.2 instead of a 4.0, i want to do the head swap

post #8 of 28 Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Cherokee sensors? The only difference between the 2 is the temp sensor electrically.
post #9 of 28 Old 03-15-2011, 12:03 PM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
just the pics. i was told my jeep had a cherokee motor in it when i bought it, and all the sensors were cherokee sensors but it doesn't look like one. and then if it is a 4.2 instead of a 4.0, i want to do the head swap
easy enough to tell, ones is carbed one is FI... look at the engine, that part is simple....

Started with some rust repairs ended in a SOA...

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
post #10 of 28 Old 03-15-2011, 03:37 PM
superj

I know that part but I have read you can put the carb stuff on the injected motor (if you want to go backwards). Mine has all the bolt on parts from 4.2L engine on it so I don't know what to look for to tell if its a 4.0 or 4.2. I've got a serpentine belt, aluminum valave cover two holes on top of the valve cover for pcv or something and I was told the engine was swapped from a 99 cherokee. That is what I am trying to verify

post #11 of 28 Old 03-15-2011, 05:39 PM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I dont know why anyone would go backwards to a carb setup....... if its is a 4.2 it will have a mech fuel pump on teh pass side down by the dist just in front, either had to keep it and use it or block it and use a electric fuel pump which would be mounted on teh side of the frame somewhere prolly.... if its a 4.0...? I dont know

or maybe its just a 4.2..... it wold make more sense for someone to do a stroker IF ya had both a 4.0 and 4.2.... but to go backwards to a carb setup dont seem like a viable thing to do

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
post #12 of 28 Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 PM
superj

I know but because of the small town the jeep is from, its very possible they did that.

Ok, no mechanical fuel pump on the side of the block. It had a crappy mr. Gasket pump on the fender which I swapped for a nice holley low pressure pump. That is some thing I never knew, that the factory pump was down by the distributor on a 4.2. So that's easy then, no pump on block. Does that automatically mean its a 4.0 block or did all 4.2 have engine mounted pumps? How do I recognize the head? Any little trick like that to find out which head I have?

Thanks guys, that is a hell of a bit of help you have given so far

post #13 of 28 Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 PM
superj

I know but because of the small town the jeep is from, its very possible they did that.

Ok, no mechanical fuel pump on the side of the block. It had a crappy mr. Gasket pump on the fender which I swapped for a nice holley low pressure pump. That is some thing I never knew, that the factory pump was down by the distributor on a 4.2. So that's easy then, no pump on block. Does that automatically mean its a 4.0 block or did all 4.2 have engine mounted pumps? How do I recognize the head? Any little trick like that to find out which head I have?

Thanks guys, that is a hell of a bit of help you have given so far

post #14 of 28 Old 03-15-2011, 08:37 PM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the fact the pump was on the fender would give it away for me, normallly the pump is in the tank I beleive on a 4.0... so maybe used to havea 4.2 and now it has a 4.0, is it a fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator mountd on the fender..????

the 4.2 with a different carb calls for a FPR...

4.2 are carbed everything about them is mechanical, pumps are 18 bucks and a 3 minute job to replace, taht is the appeal to them THEY ARE EASYTO WORK ON... the 4.0 not as easy but not bad...

POST A PIC OF THEN ENGINE.....

soemone will ID it....

post #15 of 28 Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just the swap 2 weeks ago. I took a rat tail file and made a half moon circles on the bottom of the intake dowl holes (they sit on top of the head dowls). Also had to heat up the 4.0 header and bang the front and rear tube in a little since the intake was hitting. Than I ground a little off one of the corners of the intake. Great fit. Used over size washers to hold the intake to the head.

90 YJ, 4.2 with 2150 carb 4.0 Head and headers, Nutter with TFI and MSD. 1" BL, 2.5" spring lift, 33", Goodrich KM Mud Tires. Dana 30 w Aussie, Ford 8.8 w LS. 9000lb HF Winch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.