4.2 Header with Auto Trans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2 Header with Auto Trans

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4.2 Header with Auto Trans

I've done some looking around a found a post or two with a couple of pics, and it looks like the shifter bracket can be modified to use a header. I cant find any good pics of what was done to modify it though. Anybody done this a got a good pic of the linkage bracket? Thanks.

Unread 11-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

best pic I have. You can see the bracket is cut just to the rear of the header and I flipped the cut off part and welded it so I could bolt it in a different place. Also had to get rid of the stock plastic bushing that holds the end of the shift rod because it was melting.

You can't see it here but I have a pretty strong spring pushing the rod against the brass fitting.

I think I may have had to reposition the bell crank as well

Actually, found a pic with the spring.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the rest of it. Cut off the collector and welded it on facing front and wrapped the exhust. Borla header

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the images, looks pretty straight forward. I'd bet I can make something like that work.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.