4.2 engine trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2 engine trouble

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention seahawks fans!!! Want to save some $$$ ??!!

Unread 01-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
daltonfarr69
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4.2 engine trouble

Before i start i researched a lot before posting this but can't seem to find an exact match to my problem.

The jeep is a 1987 4.2 with the stock carter carb.

Recently it has been having trouble idling and i know that a bad vacuum line is to blame. But the last few times i have driven the jeep the engine will shut off while Im driving down the road in gear. This happens not at idle but in higher RPMs. When this happens it is as if somebody kills the ignition switch and the engine looses spark. after the engine dies ill try to restart it and the engine will fire up for a split second and die immediately (this happens dozens of times till it finally stays running). After several failed attempts the engine will catch and stay running.

Im pretty sure this is not a fuel pump problem because i can smell the unburnt fuel passing through the engine. I was looking at attempting the Nutter bypass but before i attempted i was going to pick yalls brains first.

Thanks for yalls help

daltonfarr69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

A bad ICM can act like that.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
rshbutch
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Had same problem. Replace icm
rshbutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ICM (ignition control module) is what was wrong with mine when it did that. Hard to test it because it is intermittent. You got to wait until it fails to test it.

Some people replace it with a chevy type from hei distributor.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
daltonfarr69
1987 YJ Wrangler 

cool thanks guys, i think ill go ahead and order a replacement.

daltonfarr69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
sardog211
1989 YJ Wrangler 

CRT HEI and never use that darn icm ever again
sardog211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2015, 04:28 AM   #7
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

it could be a bad icm but when mine did that it was the ignition switch. X2 on the CRT HEI, save the money you would spend on a ICM and get the HEI distributor instead.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.