4.2 engine replacement question. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2 engine replacement question.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x4 View Post
so if i pull fan/ water pump i could get engine out without taking off grill? it looks like that could be tight.
Were you planning on pulling the radiator as well? It would give you a few inches and mainly keep it safe.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post

Were you planning on pulling the radiator as well? It would give you a few inches and mainly keep it safe.
yes im going to pull the radiator & fan. if i dont have to pull grill that would be cool. i guess il ffind out and see what kind of space i have. my big concern was if i could leave the tranny in.
jr4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just went through this not too terribly long ago with mine. I pulled the motor without the transmission, then used the cherry picker to drop the transmission/transfer case straight down onto a creeper (cherry picker stuck into the jeep and strapped to the transmission through the hole in the trans tunnel. When I put the motor back in I assembled it all together and dropped it in as one piece. It took a little pushing and shoving but everything went in pretty well.

These are the only pics I have, but I'm bolting the bellhousing back to the motor and the torque converter up so it can be dropped in. I would note that the load balancer that I have hooked to the engine was almost useless with the trans and transfer case hanging off of the back of the motor. I ended up using the tow strap (repositioned) to hold everything as I dropped it in.

If I had to do it again, I probably wouldnt change a thing. Everything came out and went back in pretty well. Dropping the trans and transfer case out without the motor in is pretty easy whether you use a tranny jack or the cherry picker like i did.
tslroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #19
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I pulled the 4.0 out of my 95 with the grill and ac condenser still in. Pull rad, fan/clutch and water pump and you will be able to pull the motor with the grill still in. You may have to turn it to the right or left but it will come out with grill still in .

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
Tarpo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can pull it without taking the grill off. BUT make sure your lift can lift high enough

image-672158575.jpg
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslroper View Post
I just went through this not too terribly long ago with mine. I pulled the motor without the transmission, then used the cherry picker to drop the transmission/transfer case straight down onto a creeper (cherry picker stuck into the jeep and strapped to the transmission through the hole in the trans tunnel. When I put the motor back in I assembled it all together and dropped it in as one piece. It took a little pushing and shoving but everything went in pretty well.

These are the only pics I have, but I'm bolting the bellhousing back to the motor and the torque converter up so it can be dropped in. I would note that the load balancer that I have hooked to the engine was almost useless with the trans and transfer case hanging off of the back of the motor. I ended up using the tow strap (repositioned) to hold everything as I dropped it in.

If I had to do it again, I probably wouldnt change a thing. Everything came out and went back in pretty well. Dropping the trans and transfer case out without the motor in is pretty easy whether you use a tranny jack or the cherry picker like i did.
how come if you pulled engine & left tranny in the jeep. then how come u didnt just leave tranny in? than drop engine back in and bolt up?
jr4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.