4.2 engine replacement question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2 engine replacement question.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

4.2 engine replacement question.

i have a 1990 4.2 yj with the tf999 auto. i just picked up a new 4.2 to put in as mine has seen better days. my question is. is it better or easy'er to pull my engine out with tranny attached. or can i leave tranny in jeep? ive never done a engine swap on a yj before. i have searched as well & cant find much. thanks in advance guys..

jr4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would say pull your grill and bring them out as a unit. If you have the room and a big enough engine hoist you can leave the transfer case attached as well

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Personally I would pull motor less the trans. But that's just me cause I really don't like doing extra work.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

and you feel that is the quickest way to go. i was thinking i could get away with unbolting tranny & converter bolts right where it is. and as for the top tranny bolts i was hoping to reach them through the 4wd shifter hole in the cab. then just pop engine out. but if i need to drop skid & lower tranny ti get to bolts then maybe pull whole thing. it just seems like a big unnesasary step to take. no? thanks for the quick reply.
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think the extra work would make it easier in the long run. How easy is it to support the trans and t-case while trying to separate the motor? Would the driveshafts keep it balanced on the trans mount well enough? I've never done it that way so i'm not sure. I just know that it can be a pain to stab the transmission back on an existing engine, so I figure it is worth pulling the grill/skid/driveshafts to be able to assemble it all on the floor. I'm pretty sure my t-case was still attached in these pics. I had it chained pretty retarded though.
pulling-otor.jpg   pulling-motor-2.jpg  

August YJOTM

Unread 06-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Random, he is working on an automatic so it will be easier to line of the convertor bolts to the flywheel then trying to stab the motor with a standard shift trans. You can take a jack and support the front of the trans. Remove bell housing bolts and convertor bolts and pull the motor out. That to me will be the easiest way in my opinion.

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykemc View Post
Random, he is working on an automatic so it will be easier to line of the convertor bolts to the flywheel then trying to stab the motor with a standard shift trans. You can take a jack and support the front of the trans. Remove bell housing bolts and convertor bolts and pull the motor out. That to me will be the easiest way in my opinion.
That makes sense. I don't really have experience pulling auto trannies. I left my 4l60e connected to my 5.3 when I put it all in. I actually forgot that he said tf999 as well

August YJOTM

Unread 06-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykemc View Post
yea. thats what im thinking. and random. seems you had to really put the engine at quite a angle to dump it in there. and yea if it were a stick id pull it as a whole most likely. auto tranny should be pretty easy to line back up. thank you both for quick reply's. any tips or tricks you now i would love the input.
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x4 View Post
yea. thats what im thinking. and random. seems you had to really put the engine at quite a angle to dump it in there. and yea if it were a stick id pull it as a whole most likely. auto tranny should be pretty easy to line back up. thank you both for quick reply's. any tips or tricks you now i would love the input.
That was pulling it all out. The weight of the t case pulled it down. Also like I said I had it hooked up like a tard

August YJOTM

Unread 06-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

oh and would it be easy'er to pull intake off before removing. and when i drop new one in id like to allready have intake & exhaust manifold on engine. what do you guys think?
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x4 View Post
oh and would it be easy'er to pull intake off before removing. and when i drop new one in id like to allready have intake & exhaust manifold on engine. what do you guys think?
Id leave it on when you pull it. Id say its easier to work on it outside of the engine bay

August YJOTM

Unread 06-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would leave intake/exhaust on and then swap everything over when you have the two motors side by side. Now I would probably pull the water pump just so it won't hang up on the grill assembly coming out if you decide not to pull the grill.

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Id leave it on when you pull it. Id say its easier to work on it outside of the engine bay
Got me with a hole shot

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

August YJOTM

Unread 06-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

so if i pull fan/ water pump i could get engine out without taking off grill? it looks like that could be tight.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.