JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   4.2 engine replacement question. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4-2-engine-replacement-question-1532718/)

jr4x4 06-05-2013 11:29 AM

4.2 engine replacement question.
 
i have a 1990 4.2 yj with the tf999 auto. i just picked up a new 4.2 to put in as mine has seen better days. my question is. is it better or easy'er to pull my engine out with tranny attached. or can i leave tranny in jeep? ive never done a engine swap on a yj before. i have searched as well & cant find much. thanks in advance guys..

Randonexplosion 06-05-2013 11:33 AM

I would say pull your grill and bring them out as a unit. If you have the room and a big enough engine hoist you can leave the transfer case attached as well

rykemc 06-05-2013 11:35 AM

Personally I would pull motor less the trans. But that's just me cause I really don't like doing extra work.

jr4x4 06-05-2013 11:40 AM

and you feel that is the quickest way to go. i was thinking i could get away with unbolting tranny & converter bolts right where it is. and as for the top tranny bolts i was hoping to reach them through the 4wd shifter hole in the cab. then just pop engine out. but if i need to drop skid & lower tranny ti get to bolts then maybe pull whole thing. it just seems like a big unnesasary step to take. no? thanks for the quick reply.

Randonexplosion 06-05-2013 11:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think the extra work would make it easier in the long run. How easy is it to support the trans and t-case while trying to separate the motor? Would the driveshafts keep it balanced on the trans mount well enough? I've never done it that way so i'm not sure. I just know that it can be a pain to stab the transmission back on an existing engine, so I figure it is worth pulling the grill/skid/driveshafts to be able to assemble it all on the floor. I'm pretty sure my t-case was still attached in these pics. I had it chained pretty retarded though.

rykemc 06-05-2013 11:48 AM

Random, he is working on an automatic so it will be easier to line of the convertor bolts to the flywheel then trying to stab the motor with a standard shift trans. You can take a jack and support the front of the trans. Remove bell housing bolts and convertor bolts and pull the motor out. That to me will be the easiest way in my opinion.

Randonexplosion 06-05-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rykemc (Post 15523033)
Random, he is working on an automatic so it will be easier to line of the convertor bolts to the flywheel then trying to stab the motor with a standard shift trans. You can take a jack and support the front of the trans. Remove bell housing bolts and convertor bolts and pull the motor out. That to me will be the easiest way in my opinion.

That makes sense. I don't really have experience pulling auto trannies. I left my 4l60e connected to my 5.3 when I put it all in. I actually forgot that he said tf999 as well :cheers2:

jr4x4 06-05-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rykemc (Post 15523033)
Random, he is working on an automatic so it will be easier to line of the convertor bolts to the flywheel then trying to stab the motor with a standard shift trans. You can take a jack and support the front of the trans. Remove bell housing bolts and convertor bolts and pull the motor out. That to me will be the easiest way in my opinion.

yea. thats what im thinking. and random. seems you had to really put the engine at quite a angle to dump it in there. and yea if it were a stick id pull it as a whole most likely. auto tranny should be pretty easy to line back up. thank you both for quick reply's. any tips or tricks you now i would love the input.

Randonexplosion 06-05-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr4x4 (Post 15523094)
yea. thats what im thinking. and random. seems you had to really put the engine at quite a angle to dump it in there. and yea if it were a stick id pull it as a whole most likely. auto tranny should be pretty easy to line back up. thank you both for quick reply's. any tips or tricks you now i would love the input.

That was pulling it all out. The weight of the t case pulled it down. Also like I said I had it hooked up like a tard

jr4x4 06-05-2013 12:13 PM

oh and would it be easy'er to pull intake off before removing. and when i drop new one in id like to allready have intake & exhaust manifold on engine. what do you guys think?

Randonexplosion 06-05-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr4x4 (Post 15523138)
oh and would it be easy'er to pull intake off before removing. and when i drop new one in id like to allready have intake & exhaust manifold on engine. what do you guys think?

Id leave it on when you pull it. Id say its easier to work on it outside of the engine bay

rykemc 06-05-2013 12:21 PM

I would leave intake/exhaust on and then swap everything over when you have the two motors side by side. Now I would probably pull the water pump just so it won't hang up on the grill assembly coming out if you decide not to pull the grill.

rykemc 06-05-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randonexplosion (Post 15523170)
Id leave it on when you pull it. Id say its easier to work on it outside of the engine bay

Got me with a hole shot :laugh:

Randonexplosion 06-05-2013 12:28 PM

:laugh:

jr4x4 06-05-2013 02:02 PM

so if i pull fan/ water pump i could get engine out without taking off grill? it looks like that could be tight.


The time now is 03:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.