4.2 Cylinder Head Overhaul?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2 Cylinder Head Overhaul??

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 09-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
JeepingShtHpns
1988 YJ Wrangler 

4.2 Cylinder Head Overhaul??

My 88' hasn't been messed with in a while and I don't feel like i can rely on him fully yet.
I want to overhaul or rebuild my cylinder head.

When i changed a head gasket about a year ago it was bad in there. But now I have time and some cash to do it and i wanna get it done. However I need some help, I know how to take it a part and put it back.

Is there kits? (I couldn't find any)

What parts do I need? (I know the basic stuff like valves, springs, push rods rocker arms...)

what are good/performance parts I should use?

Upgrades???

Tips/Advice?

Thanks for helping out a fellow jeeper

JeepingShtHpns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingShtHpns
My 88' hasn't been messed with in a while and I don't feel like i can rely on him fully yet. I want to overhaul or rebuild my cylinder head. When i changed a head gasket about a year ago it was bad in there. But now I have time and some cash to do it and i wanna get it done. However I need some help, I know how to take it a part and put it back. Is there kits? (I couldn't find any) What parts do I need? (I know the basic stuff like valves, springs, push rods rocker arms...) what are good/performance parts I should use? Upgrades??? Tips/Advice? Thanks for helping out a fellow jeeper
I hear of guys running Chevy valves , with a nice comp cams camshaft , lifters and valve springs. I would port the head and run a offenhauser intake with a holly 470 truck advenger. That'll really wake up the 4.2 from what I've read.

To be honest for 4.2 tech info the CJ section is the place to go
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
I hear of guys running Chevy valves , with a nice comp cams camshaft , lifters and valve springs. I would port the head and run a offenhauser intake with a holly 470 truck advenger. That'll really wake up the 4.2 from what I've read.

To be honest for 4.2 tech info the CJ section is the place to go
Yes...

I ran the Holley 390 cfm. It was purrfect!
I started with @ 500 cfm, but it was a bit much. Had a stumble just off idle that I couldn't get rid of. Plugs were always black and wet.

The 390 combined with a Clifford header and my CJ was one happy camper.
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
JeepingShtHpns
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i just bought a new Carter 2bb like 4 months ago, which costed some change so i am going to run that for a while. but i have heard a lot of good stuff about those carbs. i wont to up grade that when i do my intake and exhaust headers. Thanks
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingShtHpns View Post
i just bought a new Carter 2bb like 4 months ago, which costed some change so i am going to run that for a while. but i have heard a lot of good stuff about those carbs. i wont to up grade that when i do my intake and exhaust headers. Thanks

There is nothing Good about the Carter BBD carb, Which is why everyone with a YJ, and CJ swap them for Webbers, and Motorcraft 2100's, Holleys
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

if you look in the exhaust ports you will see a casting ridge, remove it with a die grinder. port match the head to the intake manifold, there are videos on you tube that show how to do it. take about 10 thousands off the head to up the compression, your machine shop should be able to tell you the exact amount.
X2 on changing the intake manifold, I run a offenhauser manifold with a holley 390, great setup.
be sure to change the exhaust, you won't see much of an increase if you keep the stock setup. a header would be nice, but I run the stock manifold and down pipe into a 2 1/2" high flow cat and muffler.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
c5wagner
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingShtHpns View Post
What good have you heard of the stock Carter bbd? I swapped mine out for a motorcraft 2100, nutter bypass, and did a TFI ignition upgrade and I love the power my 4.2l puts out now. I also rebuilt my engine which didn't liven it up as much as I hoped, but the other mods I listed above did the trick
Big Red Money Pit: 1989 Base YJ, 4.2l, MC 2150, nv3550, nv241or with 4:1 low, 2003 Rubicon f D44 & r ford 8.8 with 4.10 gearing, Skyjacker 4" double military wrap springs, RC perf. 2.2 shocks, homebrew 1/2" lift boom shackles, 31x10.5r15 Treadwright Guard Dogs.
c5wagner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
c5wagner
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh man, I didn't see that you are a fellow californian which means most performance mods you do to the 4.2l are illegal and you won't pass smog unless you know a guy that would fail to notice things
Big Red Money Pit: 1989 Base YJ, 4.2l, MC 2150, nv3550, nv241or with 4:1 low, 2003 Rubicon f D44 & r ford 8.8 with 4.10 gearing, Skyjacker 4" double military wrap springs, RC perf. 2.2 shocks, homebrew 1/2" lift boom shackles, 31x10.5r15 Treadwright Guard Dogs.
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
JeepingShtHpns
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A carb. guy told me it was a good one and some buddies said it gets better gas milage then the others lol even tho he couldn't get it dialed in lol. but i defiantly want to upgrade it when i get the change, working at six flags isn't good with the pay .

I know a few guys too
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
c5wagner
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I hear you, but I did my mc 2100 swap for around $65-75: junkyard carb $25, rebuild kit $18, adapter plate $12, and air cleaner $12
Unread 10-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
JeepingShtHpns
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thank guys for all the word of advice and help! I am definitely going to upgrade my Carb. now, i had no idea how much the carter sucks but i guess cause im new to this hahalol And if i need anymore help when i take it apart i"ll be back with more questions.

Tags
4.2 , cylinder , engine , help needed , overhaul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.