4.2 to 4.0 head swap head bolts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.2 to 4.0 head swap head bolts?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 09-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
DoozerPeej
1990 YJ Wrangler 

4.2 to 4.0 head swap head bolts?

I have read a bunch of posts about there being different lengths of head bolt? I have a 1990 wrangler with the 4.2 and have a head (casting 7120) all ready to go. I know I have the 1/2 inch head bolts due to its the last year the wrangler had the 4.2, but I have read that a bunch of people have had issues with the 4.0 head bolts bottoming out, and then some saying they didn't have an issue. I am just curious on what everyone out there has used? or if my best bet is going to be to tear into it and once I get to that point put the project on hold and wait for the right bolts to ship. Local dealership wants $27ea for the studded ones, and $5ea for the regular ones. I can find a whole set for about $45 but they say either 4.0 or 4.2, any suggestions?

DoozerPeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I beleive I used all of my 4.2 head bolts.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.