4.0l xj 97 motor into yj 87 - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0l xj 97 motor into yj 87

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #91
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can you take the XJ key, put in the ring, wire it up and shove it somewhere unseen forever?

'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #92
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnish View Post
Can you take the XJ key, put in the ring, wire it up and shove it somewhere unseen forever?
im not sure i hop i could use the key in the yj im not sure

still dont know what the white/black wire is for and the blue/ gray wire its there on the c100 but its not in the fsm
lbsickboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #93
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Yep, that's definitely the immobilizer, or SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module).

The easiest thing to do (at least here in the states) is to find a different ECM from a vehicle that did not have the security system installed.

If you are set on using the parts you have, you'll have to install that module in your YJ column, like you said.

The two wires that are twisted together are the CCD Bus wires. Should be wt/bk (-) and vt/br (+). These get spliced into C28 and C30 on your ECM, and also positions 11 and 3 on your data link connector. Any wire you have to splice on to extend these wires should also be twisted together, ~1/2 twist per cm.
The db/gy is batt power. Position E10 on C100.
The single wt/bk is switched power (hot in "run" and "start").
The two bk/lg are ground.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #94
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
Yep, that's definitely the immobilizer, or SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module).

The easiest thing to do (at least here in the states) is to find a different ECM from a vehicle that did not have the security system installed.

If you are set on using the parts you have, you'll have to install that module in your YJ column, like you said.

The two wires that are twisted together are the CCD Bus wires. Should be wt/bk (-) and vt/br (+). These get spliced into C28 and C30 on your ECM, and also positions 11 and 3 on your data link connector. Any wire you have to splice on to extend these wires should also be twisted together, ~1/2 twist per cm.
The db/gy is batt power. Position E10 on C100.
The single wt/bk is switched power (hot in "run" and "start").
The two bk/lg are ground.
slo
you are my night in shining armer
i think it will be cheaper for me to use what i have. im a lucky bugger i have kept all the wires from under the dash shouldn't be to hard i hope

so i m going to just wire up the wires you mentioned and see what that dose tomorrow.

( MODS ) this topic needs to be a sticky there's so much info for any one with the same problems OBD2
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #95
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Im off to bed my head is banging night al
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #96
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Slo you are doing a awesome job. I have followed everything you have posted. You have gone way above and beyond helping him. I will definitely add this to my reference list. Great job.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #97
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Its alive

i took the immelizer out of the cherokee and wired it up to the yj and the jeep burst into life.
the strange this is it didnt need the key or anything els, which made me happy as larrry.
but i should mention that i had to buy pass the starter relay i hooked up a wire direct from the starter motor and the wired that to the G5 green wire start relay crank.
yellow D5 that is connected to the blue/white wire
Red D4 connected to the black/pink wire
Red E4 connected to the red/black wire as SLO had suggested.

and the best was to come the wires of the skim key came disconnected and the jeep still would start so i thought i would try disconnect all the wires on the skim connector and the jeep still jumped into life.

Slo ken thank you very very very very much for being patient with me and helping out like you have done, if it was not for you i dont know what i would of done

So list of things to do:

connect up the exhaust
used tank out of a wrangler 98 and pump waiting on those parts out the US.
Drive shaft front needs to be longer with a slip shaft and balanced
Drive shaft back needs to be shortened, i will be using the dubble cv joint with a slip shaft if thats what you call it
then theres the gauges fuel and water temp, oil pressure.
then if im right all done.

when im done i will keep you all updated

PS if any one has some tips about the oil pressure and fule gauge be my guest post them up hier.
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #98
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

For oil gauge, just take sending unit out of the YJ motor and put it in place of the XJ one and run the wire back into F5 in the YJ bulkhead.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #99
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For oil gauge, just take sending unit out of the YJ motor and put it in place of the XJ one and run the wire back into F5 in the YJ bulkhead.
thanks for that, thats one thing sorted
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #100
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Well, that was easy!!

One note: I hear that if the immobilizer is disconnected, the computer will still allow the the engine to start, but will shut it down after a few seconds. It sounds like you are not having that problem, but something to watch out for...

Are you going to hook up the diagnostic connector for the OBDII? This would be very helpful for troubleshooting any future problems with your engine...
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #101
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Same for the coolant temp. C4 on the YJ bulkhead.
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #102
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, that was easy!!

One note: I hear that if the immobilizer is disconnected, the computer will still allow the the engine to start, but will shut it down after a few seconds. It sounds like you are not having that problem, but something to watch out for...

Are you going to hook up the diagnostic connector for the OBDII? This would be very helpful for troubleshooting any future problems with your engine...
well that's something i will have to look into if that dose happen.
I must say the engine did start no problems, it did run but not for long because i dont have the fuel tank and pump connected up as of yet, i need the fuel pump sender unit still,
That all has to be wired up when it gets hier.
Also it ran well with only a small amount of petrol, i switched the motor off my self because the exhaust isn't connected,it ran only for a about 2 or 3 seconds.
But started right up again.

Unread 09-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #103
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Same for the coolant temp. C4 on the YJ bulkhead.
Do you think i could just tap into the sensor on the front at the thermostat house??
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #104
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsickboy View Post
well that's something i will have to look into if that dose happen.
I must say the engine did start no problems, it did run but not for long because i dont have the fuel tank and pump connected up as of yet, i need the fuel pump sender unit still,
That all has to be wired up when it gets hier.
Also it ran well with only a small amount of petrol, i switched the motor off my self because the exhaust isn't connected,it ran only for a about 2 or 3 seconds.
But started right up again.

You may not be out of the woods with the immobilizer because it does let the engine start, it just won't stay running.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #105
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You may not be out of the woods with the immobilizer because it does let the engine start, it just won't stay running.
Well i just hope that it still works, wont no for sure until i have the tank and pump in and all connected up.
fingers crossed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.