4.0l xj 97 motor into yj 87 - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0l xj 97 motor into yj 87

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 09-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #46
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The exhaust effects the calibration for engine running in closed loop. You need it after you get it running but not to get it running.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #47
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Did the YJ run before you swapped engines? Have you checked to make sure all your grounds are connected? Hopefully you have not messed with the wiring under the dash of your YJ..

Let's do this one wire at a time...

First, Battery (+) should have two cables coming off it. One goes to the starter, the other goes to the PDC.

Now, from the PDC, find the two wires coming from fuses 4 and 11 (these should be the same wires at positions 1 and 2 in C2 on the junction block illustrated earlier, RD/BK and BK/PK). Use a test light or multimeter to check to make sure those have 12V.

Find the wires coming from D4 and E4 on the Engine side of the YJ bulkhead connector. These should be 12GA wires, one is RED, the other is RED/WHT. You should be able to verify that those wires used to connect directly to the battery(+). Cut those wires long enough so you can connect them to the two wires from the PDC described above. One wire each.

Now, that should provide battery power to the YJ fuse block and ignition switch, and everything in the cab of the YJ should work. You should have lights, gauges, horn, signals, radio, everything (with the ignition in the appropriate position, of course)... If not, there is something amiss with your wiring under the dash, independent of the engine harness.

With power to the ignition switch, you should now be able to identify which wires are powered when the ignition is in "run" and "start." These are your "ignition feed" wires. Based on the YJ bulkhead diagram you provided, those should be any or all of positions A6 (ORG), B4 (ORG), and D5 (YLW). Again, use your test light or multimeter to confirm that those wires have 12V when the ignition switch is in BOTH the "run" and "start" positions.

Now, find the BLU/WHT wire from the PDC that feeds into the Fuel Pump and ASD relays. There should be a couple splices in this wire, as it also feeds switched power to the ECM. This is the same circuit as position 5 on C2. Use your test light or multimeter to confirm that you have the correct wire. Splice one of the ignition feed wires identified above into this wire. Be careful, as there are other BLU/WHT wires in the harness that are not a part of this circuit. Make sure it's a GOOD electrical connection to the correct wire. At this point, you should hear the ASD and Fuel Pump relays click closed when you turn the key to "run," and they should stay closed when you turn the key to "start."

Back to the YJ Bulkhead connector, lets find the starter wire. It should be position G5 (GRN), and it should ONLY have power when the key is in "start." Verify that this is true with your test light or multimeter. Cut this wire long enough so you can connect it to the starter relay wire coming out of the PDC.

The starter relay wire from the PDC should be a small gauge yellow wire. Position E7 on C100. Use your test light or multimeter to verify that you have the correct wire. It should connect to position D13 in the PDC.

The last things to check are the outputs from the relays in the PDC. Specifically, the fuel pump relay and the starter relay.

The fuel pump output is a heavy grn/wht wire that should be wired directly from D8 to the fuel pump(+).
The starter relay output is a light gauge brn wire that should be wired directly from D14 to the starter.

That should be it. Have fun
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #48
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

All i got to say is thank you very much for being patient with me, as you already know im not all clued up about the wiring.
yes the both the yj & xj started no problems,i haven't touched anything under the dash on the yj.

I didn't realize fuel relay needed to be connected as well what a git lol, i thought it would start well not start but turn over with out.
So there i need to order a pressure regulator to get the fuel line up to speck 50psi or a complete fuel tank out of a wrangler with a pump for the non return fuel rail thats fitted on the OBD2 system,
PS i live on the other side of the pond (Netherlands)

Im going to have to take a break cause its getting to much at the moment and i need a clear head got things going on at home (divorce) just trying to get this jeep done keeping me busy.

I will keep you and the rest upto date soon
lbsickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #49
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The exhaust effects the calibration for engine running in closed loop. You need it after you get it running but not to get it running.
Ok good to know thanks. puts that thought out of my head.
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #50
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsickboy View Post
I didn't realize fuel relay needed to be connected as well what a git lol, i thought it would start well not start but turn over with out.
That is correct. The fuel relay is only needed to power the fuel pump. You should be able to crank the engine with the starter even if the fuel relay is not connected.

Good luck with everything.
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #51
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
That is correct. The fuel relay is only needed to power the fuel pump. You should be able to crank the engine with the starter even if the fuel relay is not connected.

Good luck with everything.
Thank you.
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #52
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So there i need to order a pressure regulator to get the fuel line up to speck 50psi or a complete fuel tank out of a wrangler with a pump for the non return fuel rail thats fitted on the OBD2 system,
PS i live on the other side of the pond (Netherlands)
As mentioned in the other cj7 4.0 swap thread linked somewhere in here, a WJ filter/regulator can be used, even here in Alaska I was able to get one off the shelf down at napa so might be readily available over there? Just an option.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #53
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnish View Post
As mentioned in the other cj7 4.0 swap thread linked somewhere in here, a WJ filter/regulator can be used, even here in Alaska I was able to get one off the shelf down at napa so might be readily available over there? Just an option.
hi varnish thanks for that tip,
dose that mean i will need a return line or not? i have heard of non return fuel pressure regulator's.

would that work with my tank set up.

Link to my fule tank set up
http://www.jeepforum.nl/topic/26783-...p/#entry306751

i haven't done anything to day with the jeep stuck in bed with a mass headache ( and no not from beer LOL)
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #54
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, the return line is from the filter/regulator. On my cj, the line goes from tank to filter to pump to filter/regulator where it then goes on to the engine or back to the tank via the stock return line. On my older YJ swap, I did the same as you and grafted the XJ pump inside the YJ tank but it has the older style regulator on the fuel rail so it has the return line all the way from the rail back to the tank using the stock YJ return inlet at the tank. With an in-tank pump you should be able to just put the WJ filter/regulator outside the tank with a return line from it.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #55
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, the return line is from the filter/regulator. On my cj, the line goes from tank to filter to pump to filter/regulator where it then goes on to the engine or back to the tank via the stock return line. On my older YJ swap, I did the same as you and grafted the XJ pump inside the YJ tank but it has the older style regulator on the fuel rail so it has the return line all the way from the rail back to the tank using the stock YJ return inlet at the tank. With an in-tank pump you should be able to just put the WJ filter/regulator outside the tank with a return line from it.

ok well that means i have to put back the yj return line, oh what that should be fun lol.
mmm im not to sure about it i think i would rather have the tj wrangler tank in there with the same set up as the xj tank
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$(KGrHqFHJDkFG)CJ0HbPBR43WrWGTQ~~48_20.JPG
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #56
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok well that means i have to put back the yj return line, oh what that should be fun lol.
mmm im not to sure about it i think i would rather have the tj wrangler tank in there with the same set up as the xj tank
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$(KGrHqFHJDkFG)CJ0HbPBR43WrWGTQ~~48_20.JPG
It looks to me like you moved the pump to your tank but not the regulator. I *believe* the newer XJ/TJ's have the regulator in the tank because they don't have a return line but that wasn't transferred to your setup. Looks like from your pictures you still had the input on top of the YJ tank for a return and no matter what regulator you went with it was going to need to get that excess fuel back to the tank somehow.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #57
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
It looks to me like you moved the pump to your tank but not the regulator. I *believe* the newer XJ/TJ's have the regulator in the tank because they don't have a return line but that wasn't transferred to your setup. Looks like from your pictures you still had the input on top of the YJ tank for a return and no matter what regulator you went with it was going to need to get that excess fuel back to the tank somehow.
You are correct about the XJ/TJ setup having the regulator in the tank.

Here's a photo of how I setup my WJ filter...

You can see I mounted the filter on the frame near the rear tire. This kept the return line short, so I only had to run one fuel line up to the engine.

Regardless of which pressure regulator you end up using, you will need to run a return line from the regulator back to the tank.
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #58
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

And remember to run high pressure rated fuel line for everything but the return line, your stock YJ stuff between the tank and metal line is only rated at like 13psi or some such.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 09-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #59
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys you have bean a great help.
well after a good night sleep which i haven't had in a long time,
i decided to go at it this morning. the jeep that is not the ex.

I connected up the black/pink wire E4 to the yj & the red/black wire to the D4 connector as mentioned ,
then i tried the interior dash lights they all work also the rear back lights even the cigaret lighter worked as they should

also i checked the 3 wires yellow, orange, dark green in the run position and the yellow wire & the orange wire have 12v
then i proceeded to check the dark green wire to see what happens there, yes that has 12v when i turned the key all the way eureka that had power to.

I dove into the fsm yesterday evening and noticed a few brown & yellow wires
and they labeled ground for crankshaft position sensor,engine cooling temp sense.
im thinking that these wires need to be grounded to the motor or not??

now time to rest again not going to push it.
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #60
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

With power to the ignition switch, you should now be able to identify which wires are powered when the ignition is in "run" and "start." These are your "ignition feed" wires. Based on the YJ bulkhead diagram you provided, those should be any or all of positions A6 (ORG), B4 (ORG), and D5 (YLW). Again, use your test light or multimeter to confirm that those wires have 12V when the ignition switch is in BOTH the "run" and "start" positions.

Can i use the orange & yellow wired together ??

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.