4.0l xj 97 motor into yj 87 - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0l xj 97 motor into yj 87

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #241
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsickboy View Post
...also if you have a chance get a obd2 reader so you can read the codes before you place it into the yj...
I am doing this project at my friend's house. He has a two-bay garage with a lift, big compressor, plug-ins for my welder, complete with lights and heat, etc., which is nice. What is just as nice is that when he is not at home he is a pro mechanic and has the Snap-On box that tells everything

Going to try this afternoon to make the XJ run under its own power and then look at any codes. Supposedly when it was parked two years back it ran fine but had rusted out to much to pass Vermont state safety inspection, so I don't anticipate any issues. But it will be very good to have a baseline.

Thanks

Unread 11-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #242
louieberner
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Eletric Diagrams

I put a 4.0 from a 99 into my 93. Here's the electrical changes cross referenced 93-99. It is an OBD-2 swap. Sorry I can't help much with translating, the swap was made by my son-in-law and he wrote the diagrams. Nice to have an Electrical Engineer in the family.
File Type: pdf Engine 1.pdf (26.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf Engine 2.pdf (31.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf PCM.pdf (12.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf Jeep Wiring.pdf (40.4 KB, 19 views)
louieberner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #243
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

@louieberner - Thanks! I printed these to add to my three-ring I am creating. I might be able to get it running but I don't want to reinvent the wheel every time a sensor goes bad or something needs service LOL. My own manual of sorts!
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #244
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Hi all thought i would update my thread.
all is well jeep runs god no problems as of yet, only thing i had to do to get the best out of the AW4 which i wanted to do from day one, was getting my hands on a front and rear 4,10 ring pinion or complete axles with the 4,10 gears.
originally i had the tf999 tranny which came with the 3,07 gears which is terrible for the AW4.
So now have the 4,10 gears all installed and what a difference they certainly make as a daily driver.
this march i ll be going off road for the first time with this set up, so looking forward to that.

ill try to get a video up.
lbsickboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #245
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
@louieberner - Thanks! I printed these to add to my three-ring I am creating. I might be able to get it running but I don't want to reinvent the wheel every time a sensor goes bad or something needs service LOL. My own manual of sorts!
hows it going did you manage to get it running ??
lbsickboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #246
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsickboy View Post
hows it going did you manage to get it running ??
Wow - caught the subject line in the "new posts" and I recognized the thread as one I was going to use for reference..... Didn't remember posting

Yes- the XJ runs GREAT and everything works. Good stuff and feel so fortunate to have picked up the rusted out XJ!

Haven't pulled the XJ's 4.0 yet though as I am working on a frame I bought for the project. I got the 258ci/4.2l apart for the donor crank (I wanted the 12-counterweight crank for my stroker build). Basically doing everything I can with my "loose parts" since it is too cold here to do the "outside work" necessary before the rebuild can be brought inside where it's warm.

I *do* have a 1993 4.0 out of a junk wrangler which I am probably going to strip and prep. That way I can have it hot-tanked, bored, etc. and have a short block assembled and ready without having to deal with the '98 XJ until it's warmer. I am pretty sure the blocks are the same- but I will use the 98 head and cam, intake/injectors etc.

I also bought an unused rebuilt 4-counterweight 4.2 crank still in its shipping box - complete with bearings. I picked up a basically stock '89 YJ with a 4 cyl to drive for the winter I thought I would put the 4.2 in it this summer because I am not thrilled with the 2.5's HP. I have enough "spare" AX15s and such from all my trades that it really won't need any parts purchases. So why not? Plus- letting that ol' 1978 AMC 258 a have a second life gives me warm fuzzies. Yes, I am sick...

Thanks for asking and thanks for all the great info in your thread. There's a lot of stuff that here that has helped me in my planning and collecting for the project jeep!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.