Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

4.0l xj 97 motor into yj 87

35K views 252 replies 10 participants last post by  Bigdog223344 
#1 ·
Hi all
i would like to pick your brains lol,
well not so long a go i had got my hands on a cheap Cherokee xj, i ve bean real busy pulling the block out and transferring that 4.0l to the yj.
I had also decided to go with the AW4 transmission out of the xj.
also decided to stick with the NP231 transfer case from the yj. and got my hands on a SYE KIT .
Everything has gone well up to now, the only thing that's holding me back is the wiring from the jeep xj RHD 1997,
i found this circuit pinout diagram for the Cherokee xj all the wires are numbered in circuit and not function, so that didn't not help much

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-s...-2001/Wiring_Diagrams.swf#toolbar=0#toolbar=0

i need to use the yj bulkhead connector and try to splice the xj pinout connector into yj.
Ive already cleand up the wiring loom from the yj that's all labeled and ready to go, i used this wiring diagram,

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/06yfz450/461960d8.jpg

now i just cant find the write diagram so i can connect it the jeep yj bulkhead.:confused::confused:
who can help me out here

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I went digging and I dont have one. If you had a real sevice manual you could search the pdf for the circuit on the pins. I will look when I get home to see if I can find one. The Morris online is definitely not searchable using adobe.

#5 ·
thanks for you input but im not looking for the yj diagrams with function ive got all that done and ready,
im need to know which wires i need to use from the above pinout for the cherokee xj 1997 so i can match them up with the yj 87

#4 ·
ok thanks,
all i want to do is play with my jeep.

#6 ·
when i did my swap, i just looked up the pin out for the donor then matched it up myself, sounds like you need to swing over to the xj page and ask or search there for a pinout.

i stayed obd1 , your wiring a obd2 system in a obd1 jeep. so your gonna have some fun.

#9 ·
ive know there is some one on the forum who has done it i just cant find them.

#7 ·
I will look when I get home in hour. You need to make s sure it's a 97. There is a huge difference between the 96. The obd 2 was on the 97. You can tell by the engine computer for sure.

#8 ·
You beat me to it 94! The production in Europe lagged the us so he might have a 96. A ECU pic would help to make sure. The 96 through 98 had many rolling changes.

#18 ·
Sorry i missed your request of a ecu photo that i have.
Also i managed to get all the wires sorted and named on paper yesterday evening, the only thing im not 100% about is which wires i need to get this baby going.

I know the obvious ones, for instance the head lamps and A/C wires i dont need.
i also found out that the oil pressure sensor runs threw the ecu and not direct to the gauge on the dash,
so im thinking of just tapping into the yellow gray wire on the xj and connecting that to the yj wire light green feed, then also keep the wire running to the ecu.

also im not planning on pulling all the wires out of the xj harness as it looks clean as is.

Attachments

#12 ·
96 is also obd2 , 96 is the odd ball year, they used obd2 system but in a older style body jeep, ive had a 96.

i would suggest just going to scrap yard and grabbing obd1 harness sensors, and ecu . form the looks its alot of work to run obd2, since the obd1 system is 7 volt and the obd2 is 5 volt system, you gotta run o2 sensors, and the wiring on the aw4 trans . ive googled and havent found any real good DIY

#14 ·
Sorry, I looked and didnt have any luck. Try posting to the XJ forum and see if anyone has a PDF copy so you can search it or a different pinout of it.

#15 ·
ok thanks would you do me a favor,take a picture of your set up at the fire wall.
i might just be able to get it that way,with a fsm.

#19 ·
At last im finally done with the wiring man 3 days on the go puffff,
if it wasn't for VARNISH :highfive: and his epic journey into the OBD2 then i would of be op the creek with out a paddle.

link to Varnish topic with the info we i had put together with his help emails & pms
sorry don't want you guys to think my head stuck up varnishes back side, but im so fxxxing happy at the moment.

thanks varnish :2thumbsup:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...-underdash-main-harness-1502423/#post15850704

Any one else needing the FSM for the jeep yj cj xj ....... then you can go here,
they cost like $8

http://www.tradebit.com/DL/T130827024436-171e6.

ive got the xj 1997 obd2 zo if any ones needs it give me a shout i can mail it to you.;)

#22 ·
im quick but not that quick, im going to get into it tomorrow when its running ill shoot a vid ok
im just glad i found the right people to help me sort things out.

#24 ·
ok mine xj 97 motor dosent have the temp sense at the back, only on the front. so i will have to drill one like you said and use the yj temp sensor on the gauge.
thanks for that.

#26 ·
#28 ·
Thanks for that i will look into it might just help.

You need to post up to your thread here lbsickboy.

If it is all setup correctly and not turning over the first thing to try is to see if you can turn it over by jumpering the starter relay. Look in the PDC. On the starter relay jumper pins 30 to 87 with a short section of wire and the starter should turn over just like you are turning the key. Post back what happens. The AW4 is an automatic trans and has a nuetral saftey switch that must be wired in or bypassed for the ecu to allow it to start. The other issue could be the security disable.
Its not even hooked up yet, ive bean so busy trying to sifer all the circuits out the fsm,. and have bean posting up on this thread,

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/pinout-wiring-diagram-2000-xj-underdash-main-harness-1502423/

because Varnish had the OBD2 set up in his cj and happened to have a thread on the obd2 system, well i should say questions about it.
anyway i started posting there with all my info on what i have done up to now.

so like you asked post op to my thread. sorry i didn't do that early-er

97 xj obd2 system

This is what all my wires are circuit first and then functions

This is what i have left over of what i think is needed to hook this baby up,
(note) V6 is a wire that is also connected to the engine bay wire harness

Then I've also got these 2 connectors that go to the junction box C1 & C2

Will i be needing any of these wires, they are attached to the engine pay wiring harness?

The junction box with the connectors in place. but junction box im dont want to use it.

The junction box circuit with function

C4 Connector from underdash harness to junction box

JEEP YJ 87 Bulkhead connector.

i just hope some one can help me uit here please :confused::confused::confused:

#27 ·
You need to post up to your thread here lbsickboy.

Hi
Im have the OBD2 set up to , it came of my xj 97 i have every thing i need but i just not to sure which way and what to connect,
here is a link on how far i am, check my signature links.
im in desprate state cant get the jeep to turn over
all my wiring is ready and labeled both xj and yj.
If it is all setup correctly and not turning over the first thing to try is to see if you can turn it over by jumpering the starter relay. Look in the PDC. On the starter relay jumper pins 30 to 87 with a short section of wire and the starter should turn over just like you are turning the key. Post back what happens. The AW4 is an automatic trans and has a nuetral saftey switch that must be wired in or bypassed for the ecu to allow it to start. The other issue could be the security disable.

#29 ·
#30 ·
pink and black wire A2 12PK/BK if im right then i need this to go to orange wire on the yj ???

Attachments

#33 ·
Hi all the wire are labeled on both xj & yj
But im not clued up on what and where to connect them all.
I just need someone to tell me which wires from the xj that need to be connected so I can get it to turn.

#34 ·
I cant see pics at work. I am guessing that is what you have posted in your thread. I can look when I get home tonight. The 5 to fire are pretty much it though. You might have to deal with security from the XJ and the nuetral saftey switch but the circuits are
E4-D4 Battery
H2-G5 Starter/Crank
C4- Fuel
B6-D5 Ignition
D1-E4 Battery

#36 ·
e4 - i dont have
h2 i dont have
c4 is violet power amplifier c2(rhd)
b6 is brown with yellow trace Crankshaft postion sensor ground
d1 is red white headlamp switch fused b (+)

I will till you look at what i have.

#35 ·
When I did mine, I worked back from the XJ ECM connectors, not the bulkhead connector. This way, you can look at the engine harness as basically 3 separate branches. A and B stay pretty much un-modified. C is where you can thin out all the stuff related to A/C, cruise control, etc.

Once you have everything thinned out, there are only a few wires to hook up:
(disclaimer: I have not actually done this on a YJ, I'm just going off the YJ bulkhead pinout you posted earlier. You should verify each circuit before you make any irreversible modifications to your rig.)

Batt (+) to PDC

XJ -> YJ
Batt feed (red/blk) (from PDC) -> D4
Batt feed (pnk/blk) (from PDC) -> E4
a bunch of grounds -> ground
start signal (ylw) -> G5
ignition feed (blu/wht) -> A6
ignition feed (wht) -> D5

#37 ·
Thanks for that the only thing is that the engine harnnes is alredy in its place,im just hoping to figure it out from there.

The Batt feed (red/black) on the xj is on connector c2 check my post 28
The Batt feed (pink/black) on the xj is on connector c100 main connector post 1.
so these are needed ok

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.