4.0l xj 97 motor into yj 87 - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0l xj 97 motor into yj 87

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 10-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #136
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsickboy View Post
Hi Slo

its alive and working like it should.:cheers 2:

turned out that i didnt connect the white/black wire on the immobilizer to the right wire,its connected to the yj green crank start wire g5.
i should also mention that the data link is also needed to start the engine, why i im not sure but if i disconnect the data link it will not start.
so now i have a lot of wires to tidy up,
Then ill will most probably need you help again for the rest of the wires like the back up lights and so on.

PS, is there anything i can get you as to show my appreciation for being a top sport and so helpful ??
Way to go!!

That makes sense about the data link needing to be connected. That is how the immobilizer module communicates with the ECU. If the engine could start without the immobilizer connected, it wouldn't be a very effective theft deterrent.

I'm not sure how much help I can be on the lights issue. I'm not as familiar with the wiring for the lights and under dash stuff as I am with the engine. You may want to start a new thread specifically for your lights problem... Good luck, and have fun!

SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #137
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

SLO Ken

ive got the old tf999 wire loom left over and im not sure where to wire these 3 wires to, should i connect the brown/white G6 to A15 brown/light green thats on the c100connector ?
and C6 im not at all sure what i should do with that,then i have the black one which i think is ground.

Also i had a little incident today with oil pressure sensor from the xj motor it snapped of, so im wondering can i use the yj sensor for the xj
this is the xj sensor, i have 2 sensors in place and these came out of the yj.
will the computer still work if i splice this yj connector on to the xj harness?
i know i need to use the other single spade connector to get my gauge inside to work.

Broken xj sensor,
lbsickboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #138
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

XJ doesn't need that oil sensor, it just goes to the computer to communicate with the xj dash. Just keep your gauge wire and the one sensor from the YJ - the other small cutoff switch isn't needed from the YJ.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #139
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnish View Post
XJ doesn't need that oil sensor, it just goes to the computer to communicate with the xj dash. Just keep your gauge wire and the one sensor from the YJ - the other small cutoff switch isn't needed from the YJ.
So the one wire from the yj is needed, thanks Varnish.
would you happen to know about the wires i mentioned?
oh i do i need a VSS
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #140
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I can't get as specific as slo ken on the exact wires. I've never done a swap without using the VSS so can't say what would happen without it, supposedly it helps the engine run as you brake coming to stops and things like that. I'd make every effort to get it wired up.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #141
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

thanks, the thing ive looked t the wires but im not sure.
hope Slo will chime in.
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #142
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

The VSS that I've seen used is from a '91 YJ or '88-'93 Dodge Dakota
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Truck-...997b78&vxp=mtr
Here's how to wire it into your later XJ wiring harness.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ve.../#post10676023

Unfortunately, I do not have easy access to the wiring diagrams to answer your question about the transmission wiring. If I had to guess, I'd say that one of the "backup" wires should have 12V when the key is "on", and the other should go to the white backup lights. There is a switch on the transmission that completes that circuit when it is shifted into reverse. The third wire may be for a Neutral Safety Switch?

I'll see if I can find a relevant diagram for more confident answers, but it may take a while, as work has been busy recently. Good luck!
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #143
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
The VSS that I've seen used is from a '91 YJ or '88-'93 Dodge Dakota
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Truck-...997b78&vxp=mtr
Here's how to wire it into your later XJ wiring harness.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ve.../#post10676023

Unfortunately, I do not have easy access to the wiring diagrams to answer your question about the transmission wiring. If I had to guess, I'd say that one of the "backup" wires should have 12V when the key is "on", and the other should go to the white backup lights. There is a switch on the transmission that completes that circuit when it is shifted into reverse. The third wire may be for a Neutral Safety Switch?

I'll see if I can find a relevant diagram for more confident answers, but it may take a while, as work has been busy recently. Good luck!
SLO thank you very much, once again to the rescue

i can get a the same vss over here, but i cant get the connector to wire it up ill have to look around on the web for that.

would be great if you could find a relevant diagram.

no work no play i get your drift.

ive bean busy changing my hook op on the coulomb shifter i thought i could use the xj cable, that meant i had to make a horse shoe shape bracket so i could place the cable to the other side of the steering coulomb.
that was to much of a fart on so i opted for the stock tf999 set up which works well just need to weld the xj cable to the yj transmission rod,
this is how it looks at the moment.
where would we be with out those handy zip ties

Unread 10-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #144
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

update:
so far ive got the jeep running and the transmission works just fine.

whats left to do
1/ End pipe needs to be modified im going to look at that tomorrow

2/ Air filter box and the rest that goes with (xj will not fit)

3/ 4WD transfer case needs to be hooked up that will come later

4/ fuel pump sender wires cant figure them out i connected them but the gauge in the yj will not work it goes to full tank.

5/ Temp sensor needs to be hooked up (Cant drill in the cylinder head because i got no room to get the drill in there).

6/ vss sensor ive got that coming tomorrow still need the right connector to connect it up to the aw4.
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #145
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
SLO Ken

ive got the old tf999 wire loom left over and im not sure where to wire these 3 wires to, should i connect the brown/white G6 to A15 brown/light green thats on the c100connector ?
and C6 im not at all sure what i should do with that,then i have the black one which i think is ground.

Here's a link to a copy of the 87-88 YJ FSM...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/29h4yhjv5d...M%20manual.pdf

This is connector C140 in the YJ harness. I can't tell from the photo if this is the transmission side, or the harness side of the connector. Nothing should change on the transmission side. On the harness side, the yellow/blk wire goes to a switched power source and the brown/white should go to your white reverse lights. These should be original YJ connections, as they are completely independent of the engine wiring. The black goes to the park/neutral safety switch (NSS) on the transmission side, and gets spliced into circuit T41 on the XJ harness (pin A6 on the ECM, or D11 in the PDC).

Not sure if it helps across the pond, but this is where I got my VSS connector wiring...
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...165_0335244848
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #146
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks voor the tip on the vss connector, ive found one over hier but its going to cost me like €60, i cant believe how expensive a peace of plastic & two wires can be.
If i order it to ship from out the US then that cost about $20 its still a cheaper, but ill wait till monday i might have one second hand

yes the above photo is from the engine bay wiring harness
any way you mentioned the yellow/black wire is switched power so can i hook that up to my g5 on the yj?
tun key all the way is that what it means switched power.
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #147
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
yes the above photo is from the engine bay wiring harness
any way you mentioned the yellow/black wire is switched power so can i hook that up to my g5 on the yj?
tun key all the way is that what it means switched power.
switched power is hot in "run" and "start." You should be able to use A6, D5, or B4 on the YJ bulkhead.
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #148
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
switched power is hot in "run" and "start." You should be able to use A6, D5, or B4 on the YJ bulkhead.
ok in this photo with the three wires do come from the bulkhead connector,

yellow/black you say run star thats why i asked if i should connect that up to the green wire run sart
brown/white back up lights i get
black nss

the thing is the jeep is driving in all gears so do i need the yellow/black and the black for the NSS ?
I would of thought i only need the back up lights everything else works P D R 1 2 L
20131007_173456.jpg

Unread 10-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #149
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

I thought the G5 was only powered in Start. If it has power in run and start, then it should work. This is the circuit for the reverse lights. it is not required to make the engine run, just to let other people know that you are backing up.

The NSS is a safety switch so that someone doesn't try to start their car while it's in gear, and accidentally drive through the garage wall. It is not required, just recommended.
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #150
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you SLO much appreciated.
ill will let you all know how it goes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.