4.0L Throttle Body Swap Onto 2.5L with pictures and Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0L Throttle Body Swap Onto 2.5L with pictures and Questions

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
VirginJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4.0L Throttle Body Swap Onto 2.5L with pictures and Questions

Hey guys. While my jeep is in pieces for the alternator upgrade I am doing I decided to swap the 4.0L throttle body onto my 4 banger. Here is what I have so far and I need some advice to finish.

I started by removing everything from the 4.0L throttle body and cleaning it thoroughly. I then removed the 2.5L Throttle body, it seems the previous owner has a spacer on already that I had not noticed. See it below.

image-3952379797.jpg

You can also see that there is a good amount of oil inside the manifold. Is that a major concern?
Also should I leave the spacer on and just ad the 4.0L Throttle body?
Here you can see the differences in the two TB's.

image-3338926768.jpg

image-1190490659.jpg

image-3769853737.jpg

In the above picture you can note the difference in size. I have swapped all the components off the 2.5L onto the 4.0L throttle body to avoid the idling issues. I also read in JP magazine's May issue that a guy who did the same swap and ran into a high idle at 1100 rpm. Be sure to check the grub screw under where the throttle cable connects. Once I figure out if and how to remove the current TB spacer on now I plan to put the newly built 4.0L back on. Ill take pictures as I go in case I have questions but so far the only problem I had with BOTH TB's were the dang screws that held the TPS on, of course they are torx and i think they used locktight on them. I filed them down so I could grab them with a pair of channel locks, but they were tough so use patience. Let me know what you think about the oil and TB spacer on there.

VirginJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My guess is your CCV is (or was) puking oil into your intake and it's getting into the manifold.
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You probably want to check the PCV and the CCV on the valve cover, Check the hoes to make sure it isn't plugged on both sides and last but not least the PO might not have been the best at changing oil it might be worth your time to pull the valve cover and just give it the once over. There have been more then a few engines with crud built up because the PCV and CCV were not venting correctly.

Please document the swap. Are you going to bore out the intake for the larger throttlebody? The IAC should be checked and cleaned while you have it apart and I think you need to use the 2.5L IAC on the new throttlebody.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.