4.0L HO Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0L HO Questions

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
clinkous
1994 YJ Wrangler 

4.0L HO Questions

I know im probably in the wrong place for this question but im new...work with me here lol.

On cold start my 4.0l knocks, after it warms up it goes away. Should I be concerned?

Also I have an extra $1,000. My jeep has 153,000 miles on it. Should I look at rebuilding the motor or should I buy more toys for the jeep?

clinkous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the lifters are pumping up. My 4.0L sounds like a diesel and has 296k miles on it. I would run a quart of Mystery Marvel in it with your next oil change.

How bad is this "knock"? Do you think it could just be a "tap"?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cold knock is different than knocking after warmed up. I would not be so quick to thinking there is a major problem.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
Cold knock is different than knocking after warmed up. I would not be so quick to thinking there is a major problem.
Agreed. It's actually fairly normal for Jeep engines both 4.0 and 2.5

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
clinkous
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Roger that....I was thinking the same thing just needed re-assured. Thanks guys. Any ideas on how to spend my $1,000 lol. I just purchesed new tires and rims, I have a 2" lift and warn bumpers with an 8,000 pound winch.

Give me some ideas.
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lockers and gears.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
clinkous
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Lockers and gears came to mind, I was also thinking about a paint job....I know it don't have to look pretty, but its pretty rough looking right now lol.

Hey I am in another post right now trying to figure out this fuel vapor smell I have....you guys have any ideas?

Tags
engine knock , 4.0L , YJ , Wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.