4.0L cranks but no start, no roll start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0L cranks but no start, no roll start

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 04-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

4.0L cranks but no start, no roll start

So a couple of days ago, the jeep would take longer and longer to start. When it did start, it would run fine; no idle problems, no loss of power. Now it won't start at all. I've even tried roll starting it three times.

I used my hand held volt meter and read 12.42V on the batter, although the meter in the cab is in the red. The starter cranks like normal, and I can smell gas from the tail pipe. The fuel pump was replaced about three weeks ago and is under warranty. I popped off the coil, reads 1.2 ohms across the two small plugs, and 11K ohms from the distributor plug to one of the small plugs (hope that makes sense).

Engine codes are 12 (battery disconnected last 50 key on), 15 (no vehicle distance/speed sensor signal) and 33 (no A/C).

If anything, tomorrow I'll remove the starter and get it tested. Like I said before, when it ran before, it ran perfectly. Thanks in advance.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
KyleS
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If its cranking like normal don't hastle with pulling the starter. It could be a number of things causing it but with 4.0L the number one cause of the engine just dieing or not starting is the crank position sensor, followed by the cam position sensor. I'd start with the crank sensor its cheap and easy to do.
KyleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
estinson
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced my crank sensor... I was having starting problems where it would crank, but not start... I found a trick where if you slammed the skinny to the floor while starting it would start!

with the new crank sensor it starts just fine like before!
estinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A failing CPS is usually an intermittent issues. It also causes the ignition to quit even while driving, therefore it should have given me issues while driving and not just starting. Plus it did not throw a CPS error code. If there is a way to check the CPS, please let me know.

Get Lost
Unread 04-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
estinson
1993 YJ Wrangler 

hmm... well my CPS issue never caused any problems while driving. It just had a terrible time starting, once started it drove great.
Unread 04-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I just replaced the CPS. I cracked the plastic shell inspecting it. However, still the same issue. The jeep does not start at all.

Get Lost
Unread 04-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame0086 View Post
So a couple of days ago, the jeep would take longer and longer to start. When it did start, it would run fine; no idle problems, no loss of power. Now it won't start at all. I've even tried roll starting it three times.

I used my hand held volt meter and read 12.42V on the batter, although the meter in the cab is in the red. The starter cranks like normal, and I can smell gas from the tail pipe. The fuel pump was replaced about three weeks ago and is under warranty. I popped off the coil, reads 1.2 ohms across the two small plugs, and 11K ohms from the distributor plug to one of the small plugs (hope that makes sense).

Engine codes are 12 (battery disconnected last 50 key on), 15 (no vehicle distance/speed sensor signal) and 33 (no A/C).

If anything, tomorrow I'll remove the starter and get it tested. Like I said before, when it ran before, it ran perfectly. Thanks in advance.
Don't remove the battery or starter they seem to be working fine. How is the spark at the plugs? A weak, or no spark could be your problem. That could be related to your rotor, cap or coil/module. Low fuel pressure or a clogged fuel filter could also cause your troubles.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Don't remove the battery or starter they seem to be working fine. How is the spark at the plugs? A weak, or no spark could be your problem. That could be related to your rotor, cap or coil/module. Low fuel pressure or a clogged fuel filter could also cause your troubles.
I just replaced the wires and it seemed to work. I started it five times in a row, drove to the dry cleaner, then to the store. Then it decided it didn't want to start again. Popped the hood, made sure all the wires were tight and cranked again. Eventually it started. Once its running, no problem.

The engine was replace about 10K miles ago. I checked the distributor and it was fine. You can smell the gas when its cranking. Sometimes it will try to start (more than just the starter turning), but it just wont take off. It makes me think that there is no spark or a weak one. But I can't figure anything out.

I replaced the fuel filter about a year ago, and the pump was done 3 weeks ago. The pump is under warranty, and they gave me a 1-800 number since the shop is 400 miles away.

Get Lost
Unread 04-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
estinson
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame0086 View Post
Well, I just replaced the CPS. I cracked the plastic shell inspecting it. However, still the same issue. The jeep does not start at all.
Sorry man, I tried to start mine today and it's back to what it was doing too... It only starts if you jam the gas to the floor. Once started it seems to run fine.
Unread 04-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by estinson View Post
Sorry man, I tried to start mine today and it's back to what it was doing too... It only starts if you jam the gas to the floor. Once started it seems to run fine.
Yea, I've jammed the skinny to the floor hoping that the fuel/air mix is mess up, but no such luck for me.

I'm going to try to mess with it more this weekend, get some more opinions from co-workers. If its still not right monday, its going to a shop that the fuel pump warranty is under.

Seems like you and I have a similar problem. I'll keep this thread posted, especially when its fixed.

Get Lost
Unread 04-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
PhilipSandgren
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, ill start with the basics, have you tried the srcew driver in the spard plug wire, to see if you have a constant spark? What about spraying starter fluid in the air intake while trying to start it? these steps can tell you if it is either fuel or spark caused,

hope that was help, i dont really know were you are in the problem solving steps
PhilipSandgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #12
BadApple1403
2004 TJ Wrangler 

mine will do this sumtimes and its not uncommon for wires to become loose in the fuse box try checking your relays for corrosion and try bumping ur fuse box....if your jeep starts after u hold the pedal to the floor its because it is becoming flooded while cranking and when the pedal is pressed it goes in to a deflood mode..thank god for an uncle whos a 5 star mechanic
BadApple1403 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.