4.0L or Chevy 350 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0L or Chevy 350

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-28-2003, 11:44 PM   #1
SC PuddleJumper

4.0L or Chevy 350

hi all,

just wondering what you would do here.. I have a '93 Wrangler with the 2.5L, but the engine is wearing down and I have the opportunity to do an engine swap (remember I'm on a budget)..

I can get either of the engine for a good price, but the 4.0L does would include the whole "pig" (engine, tranny, rear axle, etc.), while the Chevy 350 would only be engine and tranny.. From all the posts and articles I've read, it's about the same amount of work, but the 4.0L gets better gas and I wouldn't have to buy any other part as my radiator is for the I6 engine..

My big concern for the 4.0L is the electrical and fuel injector.. I like carbs, but also would like to use my money on other modifications.. What would I have to do if I swap my 2.5L for the 4.0L.. Thanks for all the help in advance..

Steve

SC PuddleJumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2003, 12:14 AM   #2
87yjNY

I'm no expert but from the research I've done for my own swap....

Going from 2.5 and upgrading, both might be similar work...the 350 might be way more powerful than your axles could handle...you just might be overall happy with the 4.0.

I went from I6 to a chevy 4.3 instead of a 350 specifically b/c i didnt want to swap to 8.8 rear as well as the fact that i didnt need THhhhaaaat much power. Going from my half dead 4.2 jeep engine to a chevy 4.3 carbed will be more than enuff power...
I went with 4.3 700r4/or 4L60 trans. and np231 with 2.5" rub. express suspension lift and posi-lock 4x4 manual locking- good luck, keep us posted
87yjNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
Benjamin Dover
Crossbones

If I remember correctly, California (as per you location listed) has laws governing the swaps of vehicle engines.

First, the engine swapping in must be of the same year or newer

Second, if vehicle came equipped with Fuel Injection, then the new engine must also have fuel injection.

Third, the emissions testing people will check that the swapped in engine produces less emissions than the original stock engine was designed to emit.

If you can pass all those tests with either engine, then

Now, as far as the work involved, its all the same amount of work. Its better to get the engine, transmission and transfer case all as one piece. The stock Jeep axles will be strong enough to handle either engine, and you will have the added bonus of the 4.10 gears! Fit either 33" or 35" tires to those axles and have fun.

If I remember the FAQ properly, the rear axle might have problems with 35" tires unless you do the Super35 kit, but till it breaks, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.