4.0 temperamental hesitation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 temperamental hesitation

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 08-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
will_982
1994 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 temperamental hesitation

I have a 94 4.0l that has been giving me some issues. It started with a day long trail ride, everything was great till I got back on the main roads and at about 3000 rpm the Jeep acted like I threw an anchor out the back. I could barely make it up hills and the I was getting back fires from the raw gas in the tail pipe. I ended up getting some premium gas at the next station and everything cleared up and ran great. I figured maybe I got some bad gas so I replaced the fuel filter and went on. Now it seems like it is back but it only comes after about a half hour of diving it is not as severe as the first time.

Any ideas what I should look at, seems I wouldn't get back fires if it were a fuel problem and my cap, rotor and plugs look clean.

will_982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

After driving for 30 mins, is it a slight jerk, kinda a loss of power, then it fluctuates?
I would say TPS, I just did mine last month, same problem, Its actually kinda funny, I did the premium thing too and it made it better, Hmm.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
will_982
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, fluctuates allot almost like my passenger has a brake pedal and is just trying to p*** me off by hitting it.
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah its your TPS.
First it might be a bad connection on your TPS, so remove the plug and clean it out, then use some dielectric grease on it. If that doesnt help, you need a new one.
It is on the side of your intake, Ill see if I can find a picture and post it asap.
Oh and check for codes as well.
Turn key on, off, on, off, on and wait for the CEL to flash.
Then use this page to determine codes.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...t-how-1230753/
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok here are a few pics, it is on the side of the intake closer to the firewall.
images123.jpg   images1234.jpg  
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
will_982
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Alright I will swap that out, nice cheap fix too. I did swap this out about 2 years ago when I was having different problems. Give it a try thanks
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
will_982
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well, it reared it's ugly head again. I swapped the tps and it does run smoother now but it still gets a hesitation. I went on a trail ride, drove about 45 min on the highway ran perfect, then after driving for about 2 hours at an idle or close to it on the trails I got back on highway at 70 mph and after about 20 min it started with the hesitation. I am still running the premium gas in it (liked the gas mileage I got with it). Any other things I should look at? I don't understand why it worked so good on the ride out then I let it idle me thru the trails then when I needed the high rpm for speed again it let me down.
Unread 09-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

if the tps fixed it then it came back then I'm still thinking its the tps, clean the connection and use dielectric grease on it, and try it again... any codes?
Unread 09-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
will_982
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure if the tps really fixed it, I think it runs a little better because I used to get a small back fire out the exhaust, (kind of like a fart). When I would rev up then remove my foot from gas and start to shift I would hear a poof out the exhaust. I have not heard this since the new tps. All my connections are clean into tps and no funky codes coming up.

I should mention this is not at a daily driver, I just beat on it on the weekends when I get some spare time so since me first post about this problem I maybe put 200 miles on it and that was just on that 1 road trip.

The whole thing just seems like it starts to act up when it sits at an idle for a long period of time then has to do some high revs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.