4.0 in-tank fuel pump for injected yj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 in-tank fuel pump for injected yj?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
flyingdeuce
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 in-tank fuel pump for injected yj?

I put a Mopar FI in my '87 and it was beautiful. Unfortunately had to leave it sit for a few months and now it runs great in the garage but sputters and dies on the street. I'm thinking clogged fuel pump and filter (old gas) or just a bad pump. Before I replace them as is, anyone make the swap to a 4.0 in-tank fuel pump? I've got the 20 gallon tank so wondering if I can just drop in the 4.0 pump and give it a go. Any issues, wiring challenges?

Thanks for any thoughts.

flyingdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was wondering the same thing as I'm about to put a zj 4.0 in my yj. Found this onhttp://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-write-up.html pirate, don't know if it works but would love for you to try it and let me know

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
flyingdeuce
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the link, but man I'm hoping it isn't that complicated. I need to call and see if I can get the specs but I'm hoping its as easy as modifying the stock harness and the additional power cable from the new efi and mating it to the stock assy for a 4.0 below. Seems like it should do the job.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/fuel-pu...-17724-16.html
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How did you work the return fuel line. The MPFI pump is setup for a return.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
How did you work the return fuel line. The MPFI pump is setup for a return.
Yes, need more info. Especially on the year/model of the Mopar FI that was used. Like Que stated, an OBD1 MPFI pump needs a return from the fuel regulator on the fuel rail. Where as a "97" plus or OBD11 setup has the regulator built into the fuel pump assy. and does not require a return line.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have installed a FI pump in my stock tank, there is a return line in the 88. Just make sure the shape of your access panel. Round or square. I did have to trim 1" from the bottom of the return so it would fit in the tank. Ran some power to the pump and has not missed a beat since.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
I have installed a FI pump in my stock tank, there is a return line in the 88. Just make sure the shape of your access panel. Round or square. I did have to trim 1" from the bottom of the return so it would fit in the tank. Ran some power to the pump and has not missed a beat since.

Dwayne
Good to know, did you use one from a yj, xj or something else?

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
flyingdeuce
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post

Dwayne
Thanks for the replies guys. It's a 258ci with stock head running the aftermarket Mopar MPI Kit (http://www.quadratec.com/products/17005_01.html) which basically makes it a '91 fuel injection. The pump, filter and regulators it on the crossmember in front of the tank and the return is to the tank as the return is eliminated with the rail. 20 gal tank with the square opening.

It has run fantastic for over a year, just thinking it'd be a good time to move the pump before vapor lock summer or hitting something.

4.7 Stroker, think the pump I listed above works or what did you use?
Unread 04-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So the pump has the return line on it and the pressure is regulated at the pump by an external regulator with a return line? The pdf is terrible on Quads web site and I have never seen the setup up close and personal.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.