4.0 question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 question

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
yjdude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 question

I have a 95 yj with 4.0, ax15, and np231 swapped in from a 92 xj. I want to rebiuld the 4.0 but the jeep is my DD. I can find some 4.0s out of junk yards and on craigslist around me. I was thinking I could pick up a 4.0 for cheap, rebiuld it and still DD the yj while i rebiuld, then take the 4.0 out of my yj and put the rebiult one in. My question is what year 4.0s will bolt right up to my 92 ax15 with internal slave? Thanks

yjdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjdude View Post
I have a 95 yj with 4.0, ax15, and np231 swapped in from a 92 xj. I want to rebiuld the 4.0 but the jeep is my DD. I can find some 4.0s out of junk yards and on craigslist around me. I was thinking I could pick up a 4.0 for cheap, rebiuld it and still DD the yj while i rebiuld, then take the 4.0 out of my yj and put the rebiult one in. My question is what year 4.0s will bolt right up to my 92 ax15 with internal slave? Thanks
They are all the same pretty much... 4.0 91-95 wrangler cherokee..
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There are some good deals on rebuilt engines out there. Here is a rebuilt 4.0 for $1342.00 which includes a 7 year warranty.
Check out the specs.

Building motors can be fun. But it's something that can't be rushed. If this Jeep is pretty much your only transportation, think about a re-manufactured longblock from a reputable engine builder.
http://www.autoguide.net/apf/jeep-ca...c_242lb_1.html

I have nothing to do with this company, it is only an example. Research and find an engine builder with good prices and check reviews and the BBB.

I got one for a 67 Mustang a few years ago. It arrived on a special pallet. I changed it out on a long Friday night, dialed it in on Sat and Sunday, and drove it to work on Monday.
I then put my old longblock back on the pallet and a truck picked it up. It went quick and easy and the motor still runs strong. All for a little over a grand...
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
yjdude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I dont want to buy a rebuilt one, I want to rebuild one myself, because I need another project to take up my free time and my current 4.0 is going on 200k. I know it is a time consuming process, thats why I am thinking about picking one up from a jy or off of cl. and rebuilding it while I still drive the yj, then once im finished Ill put the rebuilt one in the yj, and if worst comes to worst and the rebuilt one blows up or somthing crazy, I still have the old one to put back in. This will be my first time attempting to rebiuld an engine. I am pretty knowledgable on engines ect. I am going to school for auto technology, so I have most of the skills and tools to do it, and when I run into trouble I have many connections to help me out. But thanks for the input and info.
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok that's cool. I rebuilt my 1979 Trans Am. It was enjoyable. I thought you were in a hurry.
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
yjdude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

another question is, will a 4.0 from an auto work with my ax15. Like the electrical connections and everything?
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
another question is, will a 4.0 from an auto work with my ax15. Like the electrical connections and everything?
yes

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You will need to install the spacer crank spacer and a pilot bearing to work with your Ax-15
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.