4.0 Oil Everywhere at High Speeds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 Oil Everywhere at High Speeds

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 Oil Everywhere at High Speeds

1992 4.0 YJ with 161,000 miles. It blows an excessive amount of oil into the air filter, but only while driving at higher speeds (70 - 75 mph). It does not really blow any oil - or at least not a noticeable amount - while driving in town, just at freeway speeds. I've replaced all the little hoses and grommets in the CCV system and cleaned the valve cover inside and out, nut it still does it at freeway speeds. It is to the point that it soaks the entire airbox and oil drips down onto the frame and causes oil stains under the jeep right by the left front tire. So, yeah, it's pretty bad, but its only this bad when driving at freeway speeds.

I threw a breather filter on the valve cover and capped the hole to the air box to at least keep it from soaking the air filter, but now it just blows oil out of the breather filter and drips out onto the exhaust manifold causing it to smoke like crazy! (again, only at freeway speeds, its not really a problem driving in town or at speeds below 70 mph)

The valve cover is actually not the original, it is from an 87 Cherokee 4.0 that was put on there several years ago.

So here's my question. Could it be some kind of incompatibility with the valve cover that is on there which would be fixed by buying a proper valve cover for that year model of wrangler? I always assumed the only difference in those valve covers was the style of grommet and type of oil filler cap (since they are both for 4.0's), but could there be something else about it that is making it not work well at higher speeds?

Or do I need to start thinking about piston rings or something else that could be a serious issue down the road?

Unread 01-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do a compression test on all cylinders to make sure it's not just one bad cylinder, and you can get a universal oil separator from Summit Racing to deal with it in the mean time, but you have blow-by. The valve cover has nothing to do with this problem. My 258 when I blast 80 up the highway and spin the engine faster than it needs to, it blows lots of oil, blows the pcv out of the valve cover.

Whats your idle oil pressure like? What about running/cruise oil pressure?

You can get a cylinder hone from AutoZone and hone the cylinders with an electric drill and get new piston rings. If you're gonna go so far as to do rings you can consider doing the machine work and bearings, and have a rebuilt motor. Or in the mean time maybe you can try one of those snake oils to swell the piston rings.
GrEmLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Like said above, you have some intense blow-by. If you do the compression test and it comes back good you may want to consider doing this swap:

4.0L Valve Cover Swap Write-up

It couldn't hurt and would be relatively cheap and help the engine breath better.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sigh, okay.

Yeah, I think it's going to need surgery. I'll do a compression test when I get a chance and see what's going on in there, but all of my observations and research are pointing towards at least one bad ring. It's been steadily getting worse for a while now, so I really don't think it has anything to do with the valve cover either. Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Louie, I saw that swap the other day. Looks like a good idea, I might start there. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, it's definitely a cheap and easy upgrade.
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just went through a similar problem with another member. Pull the valve cover off and check to make sure the baffles are clear in the valve cover to allow it to vent. The fins were bent on his and it coused oil to blow everywhere because it couldnt vent. Do the compression test too. Remember you need to do a wet/dry cylinder test.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
I just went through a similar problem with another member. Pull the valve cover off and check to make sure the baffles are clear in the valve cover to allow it to vent. The fins were bent on his and it coused oil to blow everywhere because it couldnt vent. Do the compression test too. Remember you need to do a wet/dry cylinder test.
Valve cover is good. Everything is clear. I'll be doing the compression test within a couple of weeks (I'll have to borrow the tool), until them the jeep isn't leaving town or going above 55. I will be back on here for updates when the test is done.
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For the member here someone had bent the vavle cover baffles so it would block the flow of air. The hose from the ccv was gummed up. It was a mess. 160,00 really isnt that many miles. Keep us updated.
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
For the member here someone had bent the vavle cover baffles so it would block the flow of air. The hose from the ccv was gummed up. It was a mess. 160,00 really isnt that many miles. Keep us updated.
Yeah, I know that's not a lot of miles, which is why i was quick to try and explain it away with other things, but I'm only responsible for 15,000 of those miles. Judging from the shape things were in when I got it, I don't think it was well taken care-of before me.

Will keep you guys updated.
Unread 02-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Update:

After talking to my brother, he suggested it could also be a blown head gasket. He made a fairly sensible argument (said blowby could go straight through the gasket into the oil channel, causing positive pressure in the crankcase). Anyway, I checked in the radiator and I did find the slimey chocolate-milk-like substance that indicates oil in the coolant.

So, my brother was a navy diesel mechanic, but I will defer to the Jeep expert opinions on here. Obviously something is wrong (probably blown head gasket) to have oil in the radiator. Could this possibly be causing my blow-by issue, or have I been cursed with two crippling engine issues at once?
Unread 02-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Your on the right track.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your brother knows. Compression test.
Unread 02-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So, I bought an old pickup truck today to drive around while I am working on the Jeep. Rusty (the jeep) has officially retired from service as a Daily Driver. *salutes* Now that I don't have to drive it around and tote the family in it anymore, I'll be pulling the head off soon-ish.
Unread 03-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quick update:

Pulled the head and had a peek inside. The gasket looks fine and there aren't any noticeable cracks in the cylinder walls. However, upon checking the head with a straight edge, it appears warped. These can be repaired at a machine shop, correct? Or does it need replaced? Either way, I'll have it inspeted professionally to make sure.
Unread 03-21-2014, 05:53 AM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Time to machine the head. Yes it can.
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Update:
Selling my Ford truck to help pay for Jeep repairs. I am a teacher, so I can get by with just my wife's car for this summer. I can get the head machined and put the Jeep back together for a few hundred, OR........

I've been offered a 318 out of a 98 Dodge 1500 with under 50,000 miles for free. Shipped to me for free. I'm considering doing the swap, then rebuilding and selling the 4.0. Either way, I've got all summer to finish what I've started here.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.