4.0 obd2 conversion on a yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 obd2 conversion on a yj

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 06-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
brobich
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 obd2 conversion on a yj

hello all jeepers, i need some help. i just bought my first jeep, its a 1987 wrangler. needs a motor, i got a 1996 grand cherokee limited donor. i have started pulling the motor and te huge wiring harness. i have pulled the harness from the passenger side fuse panel all the way around to under the stearing coloum, not cutting wires. i am wanting to install this motor and harness in my yj. what wires can i cut out, and what wires do i need for the comp to run the engine. would it be easier for me to go to the obd1 or can i modify the obd2. i've read its easy to do the obd1 haven't read much on the obd2. any help would be thankful.

brobich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
ihategp
1990 YJ Wrangler 

just did this on my 90 used a 96 motor also. it was real easy to wire took just 4 splices if i recall. biggest problem was the fuel. the 96 is regulated at the pump not on the fuel rail. but you can use a external fuel pump and regulator to get by that. dont forget you will need to run both o2 sensors. you can pm me if you have questions on the wires or any of the other parts needed.
ihategp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
brobich
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 wiring

thank you for the info you pm me that eases my mind a lot. just curious the wiring harness that comes off the engine, is the one that i need to be concerned about, i can trace out the wires for that system back to the fuse box and computer , do away with all wires that do not tie into that system. and still leave the three connectors plugged into the comp just cut and heat shink the ends. to the wires that i dont need. also can i hook up my data link by splicing into the comp with the wires that i need to pull codes?
Unread 06-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
brobich
1987 YJ Wrangler 

also can i use the flywheel for a 91-95 with the obd2 or do i need one for a 96 4.0?
Unread 06-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
ihategp
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i removed all the wires out of the harness that went through the firewall only left what was needed for the sensors and such. any flywheel for a 4.0 should work. looking on napa's site the part numbers are the same from 91 to 99. as far as the data link i have yet to wire mine in. but from the grey connector on the ecu it should look like this

data link- ecu
7 pink -c27
11 wht/blk- c28
6 lt grn -c29
3 vio/brw -c30
4 blk just ground anywhere
5 blk/lt blue also gorund
16 tan/blk fused power

like i said i have not wired mine in just going off the diagrahm i have.
if you are going to use the hesco cps kit then you should not need to change the flywheel just use the one from you 258. i over thought the whole wiring and really didnt need to was much easier then what i thought it would be. doing this swap made it seem like a whole new jeep went from 10mpg on freeway to getting 18mpg
ihategp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
brobich
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 wiring

cool deal, thank you for the info. i have the ax-15 withe the cps hole ill just use that like it came. (flywheel is cheaper than the conversion lol) ill let you know how things come out, going to work on it this weekend.
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihategp View Post
i removed all the wires out of the harness that went through the firewall only left what was needed for the sensors and such. any flywheel for a 4.0 should work. looking on napa's site the part numbers are the same from 91 to 99. as far as the data link i have yet to wire mine in. but from the grey connector on the ecu it should look like this

data link- ecu
7 pink -c27
11 wht/blk- c28
6 lt grn -c29
3 vio/brw -c30
4 blk just ground anywhere
5 blk/lt blue also gorund
16 tan/blk fused power

like i said i have not wired mine in just going off the diagrahm i have.
if you are going to use the hesco cps kit then you should not need to change the flywheel just use the one from you 258. i over thought the whole wiring and really didnt need to was much easier then what i thought it would be. doing this swap made it seem like a whole new jeep went from 10mpg on freeway to getting 18mpg
Hi

Im have the OBD2 set up to , it came of my xj 97 i have every thing i need but i just not to sure which way and what to connect,
here is a link on how far i am, check my signature links.
im in desprate state cant get the jeep to turn over
all my wiring is ready and labeled both xj and yj.
lbsickboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
wrangler1990yj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just wanted to verify what I read above b/c I'm also swapping in a 98 xj 4.0 into my 1990 4.2 yj ax-15...So, I can retain my stock flywheel when swaping this engine in ?

Thanks a million!
wrangler1990yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

no you need the 98 flywheel if you are using the stock crank position sensor or the hesco? Hesco yes the stock cps then you need to change the flywheel.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.