4.0 mechanical fan differences? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 mechanical fan differences?

The Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. SaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 mechanical fan differences?

'94 YJ started climbing a little on the temp gauge the other day while idling, got as high as 225-235 while sitting in 85* weather. I was able to get it to cool back below 200 by running the heater on high, and ran at correct temp on the road. Checked it once I got home, and it began creeping up again while idling. Popped the hood, and noticed the mechanical fan was barely turning. I checked the fan once the engine was completely cool, and it was somewhat easy to rotate. I couldn't free turn it a full rotation, but it felt "loose".

Figured it was a bad fan clutch, so I went ahead and pulled the fan assembly. I have a couple mechanical fans off '93 & '94 Grand Cherokees, and they are definitely more difficult to free turn. Decided I would go ahead and simply drop in one of the GC assemblies, and noticed they are set up completely different than the YJ fan. The GC fan has 7 evenly spaced blades, whereas the YJ has 5 blades spaced in an odd configuration (certainly not evenly spaced).

Any reason for the difference? I assume it would be for the GC to move more CFM for a trans cooler, but I honestly have no idea. Any reason the GC fan wouldn't work in the YJ?

jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I got a NOS Mopar (Delco) fan clutch on e-bay for 15 bucks. Still new in the box. No need to re-invent the wheel
Unread 05-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure what you mean, but the cheapest I have found a new fan clutch is around $40-45, and would require me driving into town to pick it up....I have two GC fans that were basically free, are sitting at my disposal, and are ready to be installed right now.
Unread 05-07-2015, 11:39 PM   #4
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I recall reading about people retrofitting grand cherokee fans. They locked up a little sooner and had more blades like you mentioned. It was like a poor mans heavy duty cooling.

If it fits, and turns the same direction, go ahead and mount it.

Let us know if it fixes your problem.

I got an NOS , OEM fan clutch off ebay for $35 shipped. If the GC fan doesnt work out.

Fan clutches are one of those parts where OEM is way better than aftermarket
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 06:43 AM   #5
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The fan fits fine, bolts up just like the stock YJ fan. I cannot imagine why it wouldn't work, as it came off an identical year 4.0L (just out of a GC instead of a YJ). Blade rotation and bend is the same, big difference is simply the number of blades. Definitely seems to move a decent amount of air, and maintained temp around 195*. Of course, I really won't know if there is any real change until I drive it a bit in warmer weather. As for now, seems to be doing OK.

Here are a few comparison pics of the fans.

Unread 05-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #6
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Try it.
You can see the oil leaked out of your old clutch.
The new one looks like it could be close too
Check it by the bi-metal spring. Looks oily.
Unread 05-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looking at the blade pitch they are the same. It's all about moving air. If the pitch is the same direction it should work. The fans don't move air the same way. The GC has a supplemental electric fan too. The radiator core is a different size and shape too. Run it and watch the gage. As long as you air moving air it should be fine.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 07:12 AM   #8
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Run it and watch the gage. As long as you air moving air it should be fine.
That's what I was thinking. Comparing the two, its a little difficult to determine which would move more air. The GC fan has smaller blades, but more of them. The YJ design is a little interesting, and I'm curious why the blades are positioned the way they are. I assume its to maximize efficiency, but it really is a unique way of spreading them out.

If it doesn't work, which I am still not sure why it wouldn't, I'm really not out anything (other than the time necessary to swap over). I can always go back with an OEM style, but I really won't know anything until I get to drive it on a few warm days.
Unread 05-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well, so far so good....its 91* today, and temp gauge has stayed around 185* (driving and at idle). Highest I have seen the gauge reach is just under 210*, but that was only very briefly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but looks like the GC fan is working out so far.
Unread 05-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason280 View Post
The YJ design is a little interesting, and I'm curious why the blades are positioned the way they are. I assume its to maximize efficiency, but it really is a unique way of spreading them out.
They are oddly spaced to quiet the noise the fan makes. The spacing makes out of sync pulses that dont harmonize and get loud
Unread 05-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #11
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Cool. I always wondered too.
How does the fan not vibrate though? It looks like it would be imbalanced with odd blade placement.
Unread 05-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #12
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
They are oddly spaced to quiet the noise the fan makes. The spacing makes out of sync pulses that dont harmonize and get loud
that's interesting!

I even gave you a thumbs up.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #13
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
It also makes it much more convenient to unbolt parts like the thermostat housing or power steering pump with bigger spaces between blades.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #14
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Cool. I always wondered too.
How does the fan not vibrate though? It looks like it would be imbalanced with odd blade placement.
They have 5 cylinder engines, so I'm sure they can balance them out.
Unread 05-12-2015, 06:08 AM   #15
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot
I think it partly has to do with a brilliant use of the Doppler effect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.